1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Preacher

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Shinysavage, May 23, 2016.

1. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    My thoughts exactly. Could have fed him a dozen people and I wouldn't have minded, but one loving animal...

2. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    That was great! Pretty much spot on start to finish.

3. Shinysavage

High Score:
    Another top quality episode, IMO. Never thought I'd feel sorry for the Sheriff, even this nicer version. Can't wait for next week.

This Comic Con footage has a mix of clips from last night's episode and next week's finale...enough that I think I can probably make a decent guess about what's going to happen, so if you're particularly spoiler-phobic maybe give it a miss.

4. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Decent finale. Felt things dragged on unnecessarily with Carlos in the middle and I'd also missed that the episode was going to be longer than average, so when the hour was up I was kind of expecting a pre-credits tease for the next season - it was quite pleasant to see the extra time when things continued rolling.

It was nice to see the Sheriff of all people put together Cassidy's situation. Also happy that the phone actually rang up Heaven, though that answering result... rather interesting.

5. The Berkeley Hunt

The Berkeley Hunt Headmaster

Very good finale. I thought it was a fitting capstone to what was, overall, a strong season.

Jesse and Tulip reach a breakpoint and pretty much everyone from Annville gets a nod or two throughout the episode.

I just like how the show manages to be so bleak about the world but still have so much fun along the way. The shows writing is really good, with lots of subtle jokes, visual humour and intelligent callbacks. I dont know how it stacks up to the comics, but I'm just super satisfied in the end with what was presented on TV.

I have some questions, like what happened to DeBlanc? Angels are supposed to come back but Fiore is alone when he gets back from Hell.

I'm also sad to lose characters like Lucy and Quincannon who were important in the season and I liked watching.
    Anyway, Preacher is sick.

6. Shinysavage

High Score:
    A solid finale to a solid series. There were some bits I wasn't entirely sure of - a lot of the reviews I've been reading have noted that some developments seem like they filmed an episode that never made it to screen, and I'm inclined to agree (Cassidy and the Sheriff, Donnie's newfound pleasant side). On the other hand, a lot of it was great. One thing is certain; whatever the changes to the details of the story and characters, they've pretty much nailed the spirit and tone, and they've stayed far closer to the original than I ever thought possible. I'm not sure they needed ten episodes to tell the plot they have done, but equally, there's actually not all that much to Preacher in terms of plot. A good half of the comics length is due to extended, OTT action scenes.

Loved the scene with 'God'; a great blend of cheesy, shocking and funny, although I was disappointed that we didn't get Jesse's instruction to "Cut the shit." Annville's descent into post-God madness was a masterpiece of black comedy. I was pleased they didn't kill Carlos - Tulip's change of heart was a bit of a 180, but it makes sense if you squint, and the end result was fun, so fair enough. While the scene with Cassidy and the Sheriff could probably have used a bit more setup, what we got was great. Simultaneously amused and appalled at Quincannon's meat baby, and it still isn't as fucked up as it gets in the comic.

So yeah. It's been a bit of a mixed bag, but all in all I'm looking forward to the road trip.

7. A Turtle

A Turtle First Year

I think the show writers were pretty clever with this season, put out a decent showing before the road trip starts so they can insure the budget they need for the variety of sets they need next season. Overall I really like the tone they struck and am glad they managed to capture the source material better than a lot of comic book shows

8. Shinysavage

High Score:
    I somehow missed that series two kicked off with a double bill earlier in the week, but I've caught up now and man, they've kicked it up a notch from series one. Fantastic start to the series, and they've really, really nailed the Saint. He's terrifying.

Episode 1:
    The priest locking people in cages to cure them of Instagram addiction was pretty weird, but he certainly made an impression, especially with his death. I liked the way they're approaching balancing the power of Genesis, too, it's reminiscent of the comics but with a little bit of a twist. Also the first mention (that I recall) of the L'Angelles, so I'm hoping we're going to see Jesse's Grandma this series.

Episode 2:
    God damn, Fiore. Brilliant performance by Tom Brooke, hilarious yet touching. The decision to head to New Orleans is promising - there's an arc of the comics set there, dealing with a cult of vampire worshippers with an axe to grind with Cassidy. Be interesting to see if that comes into play here, although there's clearly some stuff Tulip's avoiding there as well.

9. Shinysavage

High Score:
    Anyone else been keeping up with this? It's kept up the quality all the way, with some killer casting for the new characters, a much better pace, and when they have had digressions - such as Tulip's business with a New Orleans mobster - it's at least been entertaining, if not strictly relevant. I really like what they've done with the Grail, and I have to give them points for balls, given that in the space of a few episodes they've had Hitler as a sympathetic victim, and a sex montage with Jesus.

10. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah, I dig it - it's a good take on adaptations, holding the elements of the original close but being unafraid to diverge as necessary.

11. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Oh, yeah, of course. It's just a damn good show.

The first season was pretty good, and I enjoyed it, but it was only a set up for all this crazy awesome shit.

12. Feanor

Feanor Third Year

It's become my favorite thing on TV right now. More balls to the wall insanity than I ever remember seeing in a show.

13. The Berkeley Hunt

The Berkeley Hunt Headmaster

The problems with pacing have been similar in both seasons, at times it seems like it slows way down for little reason, but its so stylish and fun that you dont really care. Loving it