1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Prequel ObiWan stories.

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by nahdawg, Jan 10, 2017.

1. nahdawg

nahdawg First Year

Any good prequel-Episode IV Obiwan stories? I'm not really looking for time travel stories. Just AU divergences if possible. They don't have to feature other characters necessarily. The primary focus should be on Obiwan.

2. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Ruth Baulding has a lot of readable Obi-Want fiction, though most of it might be a bit too early for you. It's sort of... rewriting the Jedi Apprentice series, I think? But there's a few later stories as well if I remember right, and I think it eventually gets up to meeting Anakin.

So... yeah. Mostly I associate that author with "decent young Obi-Wan" but it doesn't really fit your recommendations as it's, uh... pre-prequel?

I think I've only read one story featuring Obi-Wan that look place in-between the prequels and episode IV and I remember it being poorly written. The author had him trying to find and train Jedi younglings in secret by dropping them off on Dagobah with Yoda - child!Luke was one of them. Can't seem to find a link or a name for it.

3. Atri

Atri Groundskeeper

I'm finding myself on a bit of a Star Wars kick recently and this thread is exactly what I'm looking for.

So...anyone know any good early Obi-Wan stories? Pre prequel would be fine too (Jedi Apprentice era, etc.). When I looked, most Obi-Wan stories of that time were either dreadful hurt/comfort fics with Obi-Wan as a crybaby or they were Slash, which isn't my cup of tea either.

If anyone knows some good stories (perhaps someone wrote some in the last six plus months since this thread was updated?) I would be grateful. BTW, if someone knows some good KOTOR stories, feel free to tell me too (best Star Wars era, anyway :p ). :D Thanks guys.

4. Idraca

Idraca Squib

http://archiveofourown.org/works/7860874/chapters/17950522

From Grace, I Fall

Summary: The bright and shining Jedi career of Obi-Wan Kenobi is cut short when he is plagued by jealousy and is sent down a darker path. Because, what the hell, there isn't enough Sith!Obi around here. Let's change that.

It's a four part series, called Morning Star:

From Grace, I Fall
    From Darkness, I Rise
    In Chaos, I Thrive
    From Flames, I Soar

There's mandalorian wank, and the author writes too fast - 1.3 ish million words since last August. Nonetheless, it's decent popcorn.

5. fire

fire Order Member

Read the Jedi Apprentice series if you haven't already.

6. R. E. Lee

R. E. Lee Groundskeeper

I'm about two-thirds of the way through the first one, and it's much better than I expected. Motivations are real, and at the very least, the author is good at writing the feel of the Star Wars EU -- not many modern English-isms.

7. Jarizok

Jarizok Auror DLP Supporter

I'm enjoying it too. I'm not completely sold on Obi - Qui gon interactions, but the rest is pretty good so far.

8. The Nii Knight

The Nii Knight Second Year

Why is Kenobi constantly "purring" and calling people sweetie?

It makes it seem like he's either a grandma or a Twitter random on the hunt for feet pics.

9. Hush

Hush Seventh Year

High Score:
    The author's inclination to slash is barely repressed. At first I thought it was single character that was being depicted as a bisexual flirt and that Obi-Wan was just running with it. But all the blokes flirt with each other, "jokingly" talking about bending each other over on a regular basis. It stands out more and more as the story progresses and it really bothers me. As a guy I accept that homosexuals exist, both in stories and real life, but that doesn't mean suddenly every hetero guy in the story is going to comfortable with the aggressive flirting that occurs in these stories.

The grammar is also pretty lacking in those stories. The author has a some serious trouble with homophones... funny that. The use of than vs then is also rather egregious. They, pretty sure it's a she, misses speech marks with a semi regular consistency too. I enjoyed the first two, probably because I've not read a powerful or Sith Obi-Wan story. But the third and fourth instalments focus on Rebels the show, which I give no shits about. Plus the pacing seems to drop right of the map for the fourth one. 500,000 words and we're still not at A New Hope.

10. Jarizok

Jarizok Auror DLP Supporter

I was perfectly happy dropping the series at the end of the first book. It was an enjoyable read with a fairly reasonable fall to the dark side, but there wasn't anything that made me want to read beyond that tbh.

11. R. E. Lee

R. E. Lee Groundskeeper

I'm a couple chapters into the second one, and this is the most jarring thing. Apparently the way Darth Obi-Wan embraces the dark side is to call every male character "sweetie" and have them call him "daddy."

It's just about made me stop, which is too bad because it is one of the better fall-to-the-darkside stories I've read (well, still miles behind blank101, of course).