1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Resolved Previewing post deletes anything written

Discussion in 'Site Related Support' started by addictedforlife, Jul 11, 2014.

1. addictedforlife

addictedforlife High Inquisitor

Ran into this problem as I was trying to post in the WC2014 thread.

I usually like to preview my posts before posting, to check formatting and spelling/grammar. When I did this today, it would preview my post, but also automatically delete everything I've written in the textbox.

I took screenshots of this happening: [​IMG]
    This is my written post, with everything as it should be.

[​IMG]
    After I press preview, the text disappeared. What's up with that?

EDIT: Should also point out that this problem didn't appear when I was creating this thread. I could preview my post normally.

2. Reign

Reign Fourth Year

Were you by chance refreshing another tab from the same thread? That might be your problem.

3. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Raven has been working on integrating markdown posting, seems likely to me that might be the cause.

4. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Even if it was the immediate cause, it shouldn't be.

I have experienced this bug as well.

5. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

This might not be related, but whenever I type up a long post, and someone posts in the thread before I finish, it says expired thread marker or something along those lines and I lose what I type. Something similar happens if you try to post in a thread more than 30 days old without hitting the checkbox. I haven't figured out a way around this other than copy/pasting before continuing.

6. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

Not likely, markdown code isn't enabled at all on the main forums.

I can't seem to reproduce the issue with previewing losing data. I've waited 30 minutes between writing new content and hitting preview, still works.

Do you post through a proxy? If not, you might be directed through a proxy anyways by your ISP that may be incorrectly caching POST requests. It's possible anyways.

Do you see this behavior consistently? As in, 10/10 cases no matter the time delay you see it?

If anyone else sees this behavior, please post about it.

Anarchy: does not sound related to me.

7. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

This has been happening to me for a few weeks. It only occurs in Firefox for me, Chrome is fine.

8. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

I can't replicate it in either firefox or chrome either. Using any new addons?

9. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I remember it happening forever ago to me constantly when I was using Firefox with Greasemonkey. I removed Greasemonkey and it went away, didn't see it happen again for me.

10. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Similar deal is happening in the social clubs. I've gone to edit one of my posts for spelling errors and the text was blank. Canceling the edit left the message intact, but hitting go advanced instead gave me this;

The following errors occurred with your submission:
    1. The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.
    Copying the text before hitting edit and then pasting it into the empty edit box, then hitting preview showed a preview just fine but ate the text in the box when I scrolled down to check it.

HOWEVER, previewing my text for this very post did NOT eat the text.

EDIT 7:39 PM EST: I just posted in the 500 Club and hit edit, the text box was just fine. I checked yesterday's entry and it too had full text in the edit box. Clicked go advanced and the text was in the post like it was supposed to be.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  11. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

Interesting. What browser (& version), extensions, Greasemonkey scripts, NoScript, etc?

12. H_A_Greene

High Score:
    Firefox(30.0), Extensions(Adblock Plus 2.6.3, Ghostery 5.3.2, NoScript 2.6.8.33, Symantic Intrusion Prevention 12.2.0.5 -1), Greasemonkey is NOT installed. NoScript is set to allow DLP for about a year now since I first installed it.

Checked again and the 500 club is working just fine now, as is previewing this post. Hope this helps.

13. Probellum

Probellum Death Eater

Seems I'm now having this issue. Haven't installed any new add-ons recently, so no idea what's causing it. Also happens when I try to edit a post.

Edit: Or not, because now editing works fine. maybe it's because the post I tried to edit before had been auto-merged?

14. H_A_Greene

High Score:
    Had it happen again about 20 minutes ago when I was posting in here. Previewed the first four quotes and it ate my text. I clicked back and posted without previewing anything else. Whatever it is isn't happening again now when I tried in this thread or in Prob's thread a minute ago :|

15. Probellum

Probellum Death Eater

Maybe my thread is just cursed, or something?

16. H_A_Greene

High Score:
    Happening again right now(first in the 500 Club, second in Chasing the Outer Night in Dresden Work By Author) as I'm trying to update.

17. Probellum

Probellum Death Eater

So, for some reason, I can't edit this post, <--- Here.

And it's just this post. Every other one I can edit fine.

It's the same one from before, and to edit it I have to boot up Chrome. I hate that browser. Almost a much as Internet Explorer.

I use Firefox, and I haven't installed or changed anything lately so I have no idea what's causing this.

18. H_A_Greene

High Score:
    Quoting and multi-quoting is also coming up blank. No changes to Firefox version or recent installations/removals et all.

19. Riley

Riley Alchemist DLP Supporter

This happens frequently on posts older than 30 days for me but I'm using my work's IE9 browser (With Windows 7 corporate) so take that with a grain of salt.

Also, hitting the Quote button brings up the advanced edit box, but the box is empty of any kind of quote. I literally just tried to quote the post above me and it came up with a blank box.

20. Sacro

Sacro Groundskeeper

Just happened to me in this thread, and I also know what seems to cause it (at least for my post). As soon as I put the degree symbol (°) in the text, it vanishes when I hit preview post. If I remove it then it works fine. This also seems to happen everywhere, since when I just hit preview here in this thread the text vanished and as soon as I removed the symbol it worked fine.

Some system information: I'm using Firefox 31 with the addons Adblock, HTTPS-Everywhere, Ghostery, NoScript and Stylish.

Also I just tested it with Safari and Internet Explorer 11 - in Safari this doesn't happen, but in IE 11 it does.

Edit: Quoting and Editing also brings up an empty box.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014