1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Prisoner!Naruto plot idea

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by hgf, Apr 29, 2011.

1. hgf

hgf Fourth Year

Couldn't post in the plot bunny thread because of anti-necro rules or something. So here's my plot bunny, it's a bit long but bear with me.

Okay, I think most of us have read an Azkaban!Harry but I don't think I've ever seen a Prisoner!Naruto done.

I was thinking that maybe if the seal was less effective than in canon and Naruto, while being bullied (just normal bullying, no pitchforks and knives here) would be thrown into a fit of rage and end up releasing some of Kyuubi's chakra and killing his classmates. Now, I think even Sarutobi would have to acknowledge that he is dangerous and thus end up sending Naruto in a prison.

There are two problems here that I can think of. First of all we don't know anything about prisons in Konoha, we have pretty much no inmates that we know so almost every character would have to be an OC. Of course a skilled author could make it work or even make up something so canon characters would be in the story. The second problem I think is that there is no way Naruto would be allowed with the other inmates. I think he'd be sealed as tightly as possible given only the minimal amount of comfort so he could live. Although I guess you could make this a sort of after prison Crazy!Naruto used by Danzo or something.

So I started thinking that what if no one knew about the Kyuubi being sealed inside Naruto? Everybody would assume that it was just a skilled orphan going crazy and killing his classmates and he'd be thrown in with the other inmates and there we could start Naruto's story in prison.

I was thinking that this Naruto would be quite similar to canon, but obviously slightly darker. There are quite a lot of ways you could go with this. I was thinking that the prison would be run by ROOT and the prisoners used as training fodder for the young ROOT trainees. Have them being set free in the Forest of Death and being hunted by the ROOT members or something. You'd have to survive a given time and then sent back to the prison but Danzo and others would also be looking for talented people among the survivors who could be convinced to or "rehabilitated" to work for him. Obviously you'd have to come up with different challenges for Naruto and the other prisoners like a tournament of one vs. one battle's to death.

Naruto, being young and all, would at first survive only through luck and the help of kyuubi's chakra but would keep improving all the time and gain the interest of Danzo himself who cannot understand how such a small child can survive and even defeat(?) his well trained troops.

Then I suppose you could start weaving the story together with the canon storyline but you'd have a hardened badass Naruto that has survived hell being called to take arms in the war against Sound or something like that. Sometime in the course of this Danzo would realise that Kyuubi is sealed inside Naruto and sets upon to make him one of his pawns or something.

I'm just not quite sure what would actually happen after the prison. Naruto training hard, kicking ass and eventually becoming Hokage? Seems lame. Naruto as a missing nin? Could work I suppose, but how to end the story? Maybe work out something that Naruto has wanted more than anything while in prison and having him work towards that.

Sorry for the long post but this pretty much all came to me while I was writing this and I had to get it all down. Thoughts?

2. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

No, you can necro threads if you have something worthwhile to contribute. The warnings are to stop the derps who necro threads with inane comments; you have something meaningful here, so there was nothing stopping you.

Not a bad idea IMHO, though I'd say better off not trying to mash it back into following canon. Better to have a complete story from something new like this than to have it eventually blur back into being every other story.

To make this premise possible in the first place, you'd have several conditions: firstly, confining Naruto would have to be the Hokage's only choice. To make this the only option, Naruto would have to be extremely at risk of up and killing everyone if left alone, and unable to be trained to control it safely.

I can see this working.

Do excuse me if I brainstorm this a plot a moment.

Naruto discovers new powers - and they soon overwhelm his control. He kills his classmates with the Kyuubi's power that follows his whim but not his mind.

He is imprisoned; chakra suppressant seals. Imprisoned after allowing for reasonable justification to do so - it becomes clear, after he attacks the Hokage and ANBU that he's too dangerous to allow free. None know, not even the Hokage, of the Kyuubi.

The Yondaime didn't seal the Kyuubi into Naruto: he tried to kill the demon, and almost succeeded. But the Kyuubi possessed the young boy to avoid death, and has been slowly building its strength and attempting to exert its control over the boy until it can shape Naruto into being a worthy host body. It wouldn't leave him as it uses Naruto as protection: Kyuubi, at a near-death state, has no form.

Naruto struggles to resist the Kyuubi's influence. He's twelve, at the age where he was almost due to have graduated, and never wanted to hurt his friends. Under the seals he gains a bit of his own mind and will back, and clings to it.

He seeks to avoid losing himself - he doesn't understand what's going on, but there's a battle for his mind and body, and he is not winning it. The chakra seals, while the strongest Konoha has to offer, ultimately would never be able to seal the Kyuubi's full strength, and Kyuubi's power through Naruto trickles through them - slight, but significant. This allows him to use the powers somewhat, albeit in a very weak form.

While the character building is going on, ROOT is moving behind the scenes. Danzo has taken an interest in the boy, an unknown, using this incredible power. It's exactly what ROOT is best at - taking young unstable nin with power and forging them into weapons.

But Danzo has no idea what he's fucking with.

ROOT sends an operative to assess the boy - a man undercover as a prison guard takes the place of the last in feeding and watching over Naruto. But after a few weeks/days Naruto, half-crazy with Kyuubi's war and the absolute desperation of guilt and the need to escape, manages, barely, to break free of some of his restraints and kill the operative.

The cell is open: but he knows that the prison he is in is much harder to escape than to simply do so with brute force. He is in the deepest level of the insanely-guarded shinobi prison. And he can't afford to throw away what might be his only chance to escape.

He's learnt his schedule: the guard he kills is mostly the only person he sees during the week. His cell cannot be monitored from the inside due to the chakra suppressing room-seals that stop chakra - and with it, technology, which is reliant on chakra - from working.

So he stashes the corpse in his cell. Under his bed.

The Kyuubi's power trickling through him over the seals he has on him physically is greater when outside the cell, which has area-seals. When outside of the cell, he has enough controllable chakra to perform acadamy-level jutsus. So he henges into the prison guard, unknowing that he was a ROOT operative.

Henge is difficult to pull off and remain undetected: nothing barring kekkai genkai can see through it, but it doesn't actually cause the user to take that shape - if someone were to put their hand on Naruto's shoulder in that form, their hand would slip through. This means his cover is exceptionally fragile, and more so as he fights to keep Kyuubi's influence under control.

Naruto, from there, works to gather information about the prison in order to escape. But ROOT soon smell something fishy when their agent doesn't contact them, and start to investigate again...

I think I've rambled enough. Escape prison story, ends upon fulfilling this and tying up the ends - perhaps Naruto ends up obliterating ROOT, and the prison. Cue awesome.

3. hgf

hgf Fourth Year

I meant that I actually couldn't post, something like "This thread is over 30 days old, you can't post" came up when I tried. I think it has to do with my post count.

At first when I started thinking about the bunny I thought about making it an escape prison story but I couldn't really come up with any ideas that sounded remotely plausible.

Palindrome I like your idea. A lot. Also I didn't mention it in the first post but I'm not planning on writing my plot bunny so anyone is free to do so if the want to. Wink wink nudge nudge and all that.

4. Deplore

Deplore Seventh Year

There already is a prisoner!Naruto story -- of a sort. The Savant does this, with a different twist.

However, most of your premises is interesting, though I agree that you should just make it a complete new story rather having it follow the canon storyline. I find that I tend to just skip stories that have only a few things changed but are largely canon-clones.

Regarding Palindrome's idea about no one knowing about Kyuubi being inside Naruto -- not even Sandaime -- I think it's a rather bad idea. I mean, look at it from the perspective of a military general. You have a new civilian/newbie soldier that has this random (possible bloodline limit?) power, cant control it and is more of a danger to his own soldiers than the enemy. He would then determine that it would be better for everyone if he were to exterminate that civilian. It would cost too much to train this soldier, especially if he's at extreme risk to go on a rampage at random moments and kill his allies. No, that's a risk he rather not take.

No, if you want Sandaime to keep him under heavy chakra suppressant seals (as opposed to having him killed), you have to put him in the know about the Kyuubi. This can be used as a plot device to get Danzo interested in Naruto. Danzo -- being Sandaime's old friend -- knows how Sandaime mind works, and he wouldn't do this without a damned good reason, so he would investigate.

5. tragicmat1

tragicmat1 Death Eater

As for personality, maybe you could have it similar to Jugo. MPD, except the other personality is actually Kyuubi.

6. hgf

hgf Fourth Year

I didn't really mean that it would go the same way as in canon just that some elements would be the same. There would be a war going on, Akatsuki would've gotten most of the Jinchuuriki already, Gaara included and the prisoners that would be recruited would definitely not be liked. They'd be mercenaries so pretty much completely expendable. I just can't really come up with an actual plot afterwards. Definitely no wave arcs and such though.

On the other hand I don't really like the idea of leaving the prison setting. At least not like how I did it, there should at the very least be an attempt at escaping and that should be the driving force behind Naruto's continued survival. Hope for escape.

EDIT: Also I'll check that story out, thanks.

Tragicmat I personally don't like mpd stories much but if Kyuubi was the second personality, everytime he'd get control there would be absolute carnage. Atleast that's how I think of Kyuubi, it doesn't plot, it just kills anyone and anything that comes in its way.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2011
  7. ASmallBundleOfToothpicks

ASmallBundleOfToothpicks Professor

This. Seriously, MPD Naruto has never really worked.

On topic, I think Naruto's biggest challenge will adjusting from being a prisoner to what will basically be life on the streets. There's simply no way he's going to understand what's the what in Konoha. I also doubt he'd feel any loyalty to Konoha (I'm not sure he would even know what Konoha was), given his situation; he'd be a lot more concerned about his freedom, and the freedom his fellow inmates (if he ever met them).

I think the best time for Naruto to make his escape would actually be during the Sound Invasion. ROOT operatives are needed to defend the city, leaving the prison only lightly guarded by the weakest troops. Naruto seizes his chance, and breaks out using the Kyuubi's power. Once he's out, he has to fight his way through sound, leaf, and sand ninjas to freedom.

It's necessary that the world thinks that the Kyuubi is dead, except maybe Tobi. Otherwise, Danzo's head would be on a pike. The only alternative would be to do the cliche, boring 'Konoha hates Naruto to the point of trying to kill him, and when they inevitably fail, they punish him for defending himself' justification, which is a hilariously bad idea.

I suppose you could go the Naruto as Weapon X route, but... I dunno. I think a good author could make this work, but the only attempts I've seen have blown chunks.

8. Kurufinwe

Kurufinwe Groundskeeper

There was filler in anime with Mizuki escaping Konoha prison see something about it. Also you can check Naruto: Beast , for some ideas espascialy that it's also Naruto in solitary, holding cell with Danzo and evil!Hiruzen trying to use it for their selfish ideals. Good luck with writing, there isn't even one very good story with Naruto in prison. You can also check many stories from dracohalo117 "Perfection" challenge, this with Orochimaru holding Naruto and experimenting on him. Good luck again :)

9. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Filler never happened. Filler does not exist. Especially if it includes super curries or Tony the Tiger!Mizuki (which it didn't, because it did not happen).

10. Kurufinwe

Kurufinwe Groundskeeper

I know that, but he can use it for ideas, characters etc. I didn't said that its his guidance or whatever.

11. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Only problem with that is that the Sandaime would much rather have a really dangerous child suppressed and imprisoned than have a really dangerous child killed.
    So Danzo, knowing this, would see nothing suspicious on the Sandaime's behavior.

Also, Palindrome, that's an awesome idea. You should write it :D (do you even write Naruto fanfiction?).

12. Deplore

Deplore Seventh Year

Are we talking about the same Sandaime here? The Professor? Kami no Shinobi? Youngest Hokage at the age of 12? Surviving two great Shinobi wars? You don't become all that by hugging trees and singing pretty songs.

Half of the reason why Sandaime was so mellow around Naruto because he knew the relationship between Naruto and the Yondaime. If Sandaime is truly not in the know about Naruto being a jinchuuriki, then he has to think about the situation from a military general viewpoint, not from a close friend/advisor to the Yondaime.

Beside, if Naruto ever lost control, then he would simply turn into a mindless killing machine, killing everything in sight. Not exactly something a military general can use. Plus, it costs resources to imprison and suppress. To the Sandaime, Naruto is just a civilian with a unstable bloodline limit that he can't control. No point in wasting resources in suppression seals and manning guards in the "hopes" that Naruto will sooner or later learn how to "control" his bloodline limit.

So... on the basis of everything I said, if Sandaime was to imprison Naruto because of a "unstable bloodline", then it would be seen as an uncharacteristic trait for the Hokage. He had to have done much worse during the great shinobi wars, so why imprison rather than eliminate? That's how Danzo would get curious about Naruto.

13. Kurufinwe

Kurufinwe Groundskeeper

What are you talking about now? Do you at all know who the Sandaime was? First of all, we do not know how old was Hiruzen when he took position of Hokage, from Danzo flashbacks he for sure was not 12 old. If I must guess I would say 15-16 years old. There is not even said anywhere that T. Senju died even then, yes the probability is rather huge but it's only assumed. He was for peace and his teaching by Jiraya-Minato-Kakashi have great deal on Naruto motives. Danzo mention him for being his personal opposite "you are the leaves bathing in the sun" and criticize his world view. He, as only one from four elders, was mention to want have peace talk with Uchiha before massacre. He was not only "so mellow" with Naruto, but is shown with many from newest generation and others like Anko, Iruka, Mizuki even. Would he kill to protect Konoha? For sure, but not innocent child. Also, your Naruto is a lot like Jugo, so probably he would be examined for discovering more about his blood-line limit but not out right killed. "Suru" was rather gentle and ready to sacrifice himself for his friends, Naruto inhered his "will of fire", so think before you write something stupid.

Last edited: May 12, 2011
  14. hgf

hgf Fourth Year

Guys, it's fanfiction. I think it's perfectly plausible that Sandaime wouldn't order the execution of a child. On the other hand I wouldn't mind reading a fic where he was a hardcore leader. In my mind even if Sandaime did think Naruto was too dangerous Danzo would see the potential in what he thinks is an unknown bloodline limit and would take some steps to ensure he would end up in circumstances where he'd be easily controlled by Danzo without the Sandaimes meddling.

15. hgf

hgf Fourth Year

I'm sorry for the double post but I've got a new idea concerning this particular bunny.
    I'm thinking of an AU where Orochimaru became the fourth Hokage. I'm thinking that Sarutobi was dying and decided to entrust Konoha to his favorite student. Minato would die sealing the kyubi like in canon but wouldn't tell Orochimaru because he didn't trust him. Orochimaru would think that the kyubi was killed even if he had no idea how it was done. 15 years later Naruto and a group of Konoha shinobi try to overthrow Orochimaru after learning what he has been doing in the background. Obviously most of the Konoha civilian and ninja population think he's the best thing that has ever happened to Konoha.

There's an attempted coup d'état which fails miserably and Naruto and his men are sentenced to life in prison. But this is no ordinary prison, the ones that aren't taken to be subjects of Orochimaru or Kabuto will be subjected to all manners of sick games where only the best survive. Basically I'm thinking that Naruto would be forced to fight with other inmates and sometimes even with his own comrades. Obviously there would be fights against friends that can only survive by winning or are utterly brainwashed by Orochimaru.

I'm still not quite sure how I would put Danzo in this (some of you might notice that I quite like him) but I was thinking that he could be somewhat supportive of Naruto's group and tries to help them where he can. It's just that his character in canon is such that I quite believe he would be supporting Orochimaru if he thought everything he did was for the good of Konoha. But lets say that he thinks Orochimaru will bring Konoha to ruin and he must stop it. Then we have a situation where we have a bitter Naruto who's only ambition is to kill Orochimaru and Danzo who wants to use Naruto but knows that just killing Orochimaru might make Konoha vulnerable to attacks from other villages.

I think there could be a story in it, where Naruto tries to survive and is also helped by Danzo, wherever he can, and a politicals struggle where there are two men who (pretty much) have their own army and are powerful even by themselves and Naruto who everybody wants as a pawn but is still the most unpredictable ninja in Konoha and getting more and more stronger while he is in prison.

I'm pretty drunk right now so I'm not sure if this whole thing even makes sense but anyway, thoughts?

16. ASmallBundleOfToothpicks

The only problem I see with it is that Danzo was certainly at least passive towards Orochimaru, and possibly even a straight-up ally of the snake's. Hell, IIRC, Orochimaru is the one who did all the surgery on Danzo's implanted sharingans and Mokuton.

Otherwise, I would totally read it.

Here's plot bunny of my own: Naruto goes to steal the Forbidden Scroll, and like most academy students, he has no idea where it is. So he grabs the first big, impressive scroll that catches his attention. It turns out to be a summoning scroll, and the summons seem rather put out that he signed it. They kidnap him back to their home, and Naruto never becomes a ninja.

Three years later, the slightly changed Team 7 finds Naruto on the border of Rice Country and Fire Country, searching for the Four Heavenly Scrolls, for the divine animals that guard the Four Gates of Heaven. He's got the Bird scroll, and is looking for the Tiger scroll. However, in the process, he's helping people build dams, training them to use chakra, writing contracts between the spirits of the land and the human inhabitants, fighting off bandits, and other activities that horn in on the good thing the ninja villages have going on.

This puts him in an antagonistic relationship with Konohagakure, who demands he either join up or die. Ultimately he will have to join, because Maito Gai has somehow ended up being the last signatory of the Turtle contract, which guards the North Gate.

17. hgf

hgf Fourth Year

Sounds interesting. I'd imagine that Konoha wouldn't care much about the fact that he was helping the regular folks. Surely the fact that he's a Jinchuuriki and a criminal that stole one of the Hokages scrolls would be the main reason for their ire?

I suppose you also have some ideas for why Naruto is trying to collect the summoning contracts in the first place?

On another note, I've been trying to write the first chapter for the Orochimaru plot bunny I had recently and goddamnit it is difficult. I have a completely new respect for authors that actually write something readable.

18. ASmallBundleOfToothpicks

That's part of it, but the key thing that gets their goat is his tendency to train the common people in the use of chakra- that's literally slapping the bread from Konoha's mouth.

Basically, it's a replacement for his Hokage goal, but more specifically it would hinge around some mysterious power that you can attain from unlocking the four gates.

Funny how that works, right? :)

19. hgf

hgf Fourth Year

Sounds cool as long as it won't become Super!Naruto. Also the part with making contracts with the spirits of the land seems interesting. I hope you have more success than I do at writing, I'll be sure to check it out if it shows up in WbA. Now I'll go back to staring at Microsoft Word for the next 3 hours.

EDIT: I was wondering that would Kyubi be involved in your story? I mean Naruto is planning to open the Four Gates of Heaven with a demon sealed in his stomach. Would there be some problems or is Kyubi going to be just a massive source of chakra. I could see something epic happening if Naruto lost control of Kyubi and the four gates of heaven were opened. Just a thought.

Last edited: May 25, 2011
  20. ASmallBundleOfToothpicks

If anything, Naruto will be a little less... overwhelming than in the manga. Remember, he didn't get Kage Bunshins, Rasengan, or any ninjutsu other than Henge and a shitty Kawarimi. As for the second bit, about the contracts- it's an interpretation of being a seal master that I've never seen done before. Basically, I'm comparing sealing to the Talismanic magic practiced by Shinto priests, rather than as a stand in for technology. I basically envision seal masters as glorified lawyers, who's bread and butter is hammering out harvest contracts and offering quotas rather than binding demons and teleporting around the battlefield, throwing high explosives at people.

It's also a variation on the cliche of sealing that Naruto would be good at- Naruto is really good at making friends and convincing people to kill themselves.

That's a really good idea and I may very well steal it from you. Continuing that thought, it would be interesting to have Naruto's goal end up as a Pyrrhic victory- he gets the scrolls, but when he tries to step into 'heaven', it very nearly kills him. Since he's the Jinchuriki of the Kyuubi, he's tainted, impure, and thus incapable of ever entering 'heaven'.