1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Problem visiting site

Discussion in 'Site Related Support' started by MegaDeath268, Jan 5, 2008.

1. MegaDeath268

MegaDeath268 Squib

I'm having a problem accessing the site with my Richardc269 account. (someone's already posted this problem in another thread, but I decided to create one). I keep getting the "server's too busy" error, and takes a long time to either get to that page, or takes forever loading the page I want. This new account doesn't seem to have that problem, for whatever reason. I know it's not my computer because I have anti-virus active, and my Spyware scanner doesn't find anything. I'm thinking its the website. Anyway, just thought I'd bring this to your attention...I finally got fed up with the stupid error and made a new account to post this here.

Richard.

2. Jamven

Jamven Headmaster DLP Supporter

You didn't fuck any of the admin's over in CN's or any other place thing, have you?

On to less serious matters :)

Perhaps an admin can help with your post count and stuff/merge the two accounts together stuff, if you want that and it is even possible.

Have you recently had any virus attacks on your computer?
    What type of connection do you have to the internet? Public, home?
    Are you connected thought a network?

3. MegaDeath268

MegaDeath268 Squib

I don't have any viruses, to the best of my knowledge. I've got AVG and Norton on this computer.

I connect to a neighbor's wireless connection cuz I'm too cheap to pay 50 bucks a month for Cox cable internet.

Yes, I have a network, but I'm rarely connected to it since I have my wireless connection enabled instead.

4. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think it's the resident DLP dropbears. They've been attacking accounts viciously recently; you never know who's next.

5. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Run -> cmd -> format C:

Should clear up any problems. Let me know if you have any trouble after.

6. MegaDeath268

MegaDeath268 Squib

I'm not formatting my computer just because of some site problem that's site problem oriented. My computer is virus free and finds no harmful spyware on the computer. One of the Admins should be able to fix it.

7. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

Of the hundreds of visitors DLP gets a day, you're the only one experiencing problems. And you say it's a problem on DLP's end? That's quite an ego on you there.

8. Solomon

Solomon Heir

The interesting thing, Tehan, is that it apparently only happens with the Richardc269 account, but not the one this topic got made with. I'm thinking that what happened is the same thing that happened to Garrett's account.

Something from his IP (probably a virus) was abusing the server, and the account got rate limited.

If that is, in fact, the case, then an admin could clear it up without much issue.

@Richard: Antivirus software isn't perfect. Contrary to what your software is telling you, you probably have a virus. Or, maybe you had a virus. Either way...

...Do this, then wait for an admin to see if there actually is a rate limiter on your account or something.

9. MegaDeath268

MegaDeath268 Squib

Not formatting my computer. I've got too many programs/games on it. And I'm certainly not taking an hour's worth of time burning stuff on a cd. And my other computers already have too much crap on them.

"I" think this IS site oriented. Why? Because this happened with my OTHER computer, not this one. I switched my computers about a month ago. I switched my 3500 for a 6600. The 3500 encountered the problem. I highly doubt I have any viruses on this newer 6600. Its a hell uva lot newer than my 3500, which is year old or better with 10 times more games on it. So there's my reasoning. I also only download files from UTorrent (I don't even have Bearshare, Limewire, or Kazaa installed, nor has it been), or download files from sites that I trust. Which include mostly cd-cracks, game patches, or game oriented from sites I trust.

10. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

If you don't want to follow our advice, then stfu. Either format, or live with it.

11. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Are you on a network with other users or connecting through a proxy? That's a possible (though unlikely) explanation of server-hostile action seeming to originate from your IP. Years ago I tried to sign up for a Slashdot account and was told I couldn't because of past abuses from my IP. As it turned out, it was because my connection was going through an ISP-wide proxy. Someone ELSE from behind that proxy had abused their /. account in some fashion. I've long since left that ISP, but I remain an Anonymous Coward to this day.

DPL ain't as big as /. though, so it isn't really likely unless you're behind a massive proxy.

I did experience a similar problem three or four months ago that only affected my DLP surfing and nothing else. I'm still not sure why. Curiously I was able to connect without problems through a public web proxy. It changes the IP that DLP sees you connecting from. I realise your problem seems to be account specific, but it's best to rule these kinds of things out.

http://www.google.com/search?q=public+web+proxy

See if that clears it up. Of course, you do so at your own risk. I don't know the trustworthiness of anyone who runs a proxy, nor the technical feasibility of farming for user/pass through such a site. But it's just your DLP account, it's not likely they'd be interested in it anyway. It's not your banking pass or anything. Just change your password when everything is sorted.

I was scratching my head after connecting to DLP just fine through a web proxy, but having horrific problems otherwise. I turned my modem/router off; waited 20 minutes for other people in my area to connect and take on my old IP; reconnected with my hopefully new IP, and everything was just fine.

I still don't know what happened there. It hasn't happened since.

So, 1) If you're behind a proxy/network try connecting through a webproxy.
    2) If you're not behind a proxy/network you can change your IP by turning off your modem for a while (if you have dynamic IP) or connecting though a webproxy.
    3) If none of those work...

Good luck,
    Yak.

12. MegaDeath268

MegaDeath268 Squib

I'm not formatting my computer unless I know there's a huge problem with it. I only format my computer as a last resort. Computers aren't "supposed" to be formatted in the first place. Yes, you can do it, but technically, you shouldn't have to ever format it if you stay virus/problem free. I haven't had to format my computer(s) for a very long time, since I haven't gotten any viruses lately. I learned that the hard way when I had gotten 3 different versions of a virus called "Pinfi32 Virus" that totally messed up all my .exe files, the first time I had to format, the second time I was lucky to get rid of it, 3rd time I had to format. Thats all I have to say for that.

As for the account problem, I think its only account related, seeing as how I can browse this site without problems on this account.

13. Darius

Darius 13/m/box

The Octagon - Say that to my face and not online m
    Mutis are illegal.

B& & V&

14. Zyloch

Zyloch Fourth Year

If it is an account problem, as it seems to be, you're obviously being discriminated against in some fashion. You're better off just living silently with your new account lest whatever happened to your old one happens again now.

In any case, I find it improbable that it is a vBulletin bug affecting just your account, though if it is, thanks for the heads up.

15. MegaDeath268

MegaDeath268 Squib

Wtf are you talkin' about?

16. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think he meant "multis" (that is, having more than one account), and that he thinks you should be banned (B&) for it.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2008
  17. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

I had the same problem for four or so months, I pmed Ravenclaw about it and bam, it fixed itself. Someone else had the same problem, and Midknight fullout admitted that it was him and fixed it.

One of your last posts was pathetically stupid and pissed Sree off, so I'd start there.

If this sounds like your problem...

Last edited: Jan 8, 2008