1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Protagonists

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Karinta, Jan 4, 2016.

1. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Like Taure, I have a strong preference for Harry as the protagonist. I don't mind, let's call them secondary protagonists if Harry is featured.

Example, POTDK or Renegade Cause. Both feature many POV characters besides Harry and I love them both.

I can read something of not-epic length about a different character though.

2. James

James Unspeakable

You know what? It might be JKR Fuck up. In books, you have no "Marauders". Later was written on her website (acc. to wikia, now 404): "they dubbed themselves Marauders". Now, on Pottermore: no Marauders, but [they written] their own nicknames on the map ('Messrs Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot and Prongs').

bonus:

3. Zel

Zel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    Harry Potter, World's First GPS Stalker.

4. Stan

Stan Order Member

Unlike a lot of people, I don't particularly care for Harry to be the protagonist. Quite the opposite, infact: I love reading about all sorts of characters and this unwillingness to read non Harry centric fics seems to me both narrow minded and incomprehensible. Half of my favourite fics are ones that aren't Harry centric.

I've trying to find a good non-shippy Ron centric for ages now without much success. One in which Ron does his own thing without Harry. The closest one in the fandom is Invisible Circus, which has Ron as a spy, but it is far from great. There was a good one with Ron in Slytherin, but it was abandoned early. Shame.

I would like a story about Ginny's Pro-Quidditch career that isn't filled to the brim with shippiness. One in which Ginny goes back in time to kill teenage Riddle would be welcome too.

Tonks and Moody as a double act would be excellent. Any story which focuses on Moody would be good, but this pair seems especially fun.

There is a lot of potential in the First War era that I haven't seen done before. Regulus seems like an interesting choice for a protagonist, but others too: Snape, Sirius, Lily. Sadly most stories I seen set in this time are about Snape and/or James incessantly stalking Lily and the author pretending it is nice and romantic and not creepy at all.

I'm also interested in the Dumbledore/Grindelwald dynamic. I don't think there are many fics which focus on this. A canon compliant fic about Dumbledore's efforts to beat Grindelwald would be fine, but there is lot of AU potential as well. This is also a time period when Dumbledore had a lot of fears and insecurities, which makes him a rather interesting protagonist. If necessary, Tom Riddle could also be involved somehow.

5. speculating

speculating Guest

Hmm...for me, either Hermione or Lucius, with the caveat that they're done well. Granted, I don't meet that requirement in my own writing, but I still want it out of what I read....

6. _GitGud_

_GitGud_ Fourth Year DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The protagonist must be male, otherwise I won't be able to live vicariously through him. No strong preference, only a slight dislike for remus.

7. Jazz-Meister

Jazz-Meister Disappeared

High Score:
    I agree completely. Personally, I'd love a fic that's just post or pre-war that's about characters like Kingsley, Mad-Eye, Tonks, and even people like Scrimgeour and Fudge. Just a lighthearted look at all the adventures they have, banter between Moody and Tonks, and the inner politics of the Ministry.