1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

[PS4] Horizon: Zero Dawn *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Gengar, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Please tell me someone else is playing this here. Just finished it and thought it was in-fucking-credible.

It's not huge like Witcher, clocked it in 45 hours while being two bronze short of platinum.

Don't want to get too spoilery, but the things that set this game apart from other openworld rpgs have to be combat, story and visuals.

The combat is almost best in class. Except for Rockbreakers. Fuck that noise.

Visuals need no evangelising. I'm jealous of anyone who has a 4k HDR oled tv though.

As for story, well, that's getting spoilery...

Suffice it to say, all the 'old world' stuff was incredible. It was super moving and practically dragged me through to each checkpoint out of sheer curiosity and a burning desire for more.

The above-world tribal shit is very take it or leave it. I found it super hard to care when I was getting smashed in the face with revelation after revelation.

It's in inverse of W3 in that way, which had a main story I didn't care about and side content that was first class.

I'm a little worried how a sequel will go given that. They gave us a little nugget in the post credits sequence that was intriguing, but nothing on the level of Project: Zero Dawn. I'm worried how it'll fair without that mystery.

In the inevitable sequel, I'd really like them to refine the non-combat and rpg systems. A couple more Miridians wouldn't hurt either.

Actually, I think the game would have benefitted a lot from non-combat gadgets that'd make traversal more fun. A glider, grapple gun, using her spear as a pole vault or even flying on converted Glinthawks.

2. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I want this badly. Robot dinosaurs have given me a throbbing priapic erection which may require surgery to remove. Only problem is that I can't afford a full price game when I'm hoarding my gold for the Switch to get back in stock.

Soon.

Soon.

3. Nuit

Nuit Dark Lord

tbh, I only just learned about this because the MC is the new "to draw" character for a few of the artists I follow. Along with 2B (NieR: Automata) of course.

4. Gengar

High Score:
    Huhu. 2B /blush

I'm playing Nier now.

5. reavn360

reavn360 Squib

The game is good I especially enjoy the lore and aolly they did a very good job portraying her stuggles.

6. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

I've been playing it over the last few days. Really, really enjoying it. Just found out what Operation: Enduring Victory was all about, and the Zero Dawn shit has me all kinds of intrigued. I need to know what it's all about, but I can't handle spoilers here. It's a glorious feeling.

7. joshuafaramir

joshuafaramir Banned

I play it but I also have Zelda so I'm putting it on hold for now.

But as far as I'm concerned. Combat felt too much like Far Cry franchise, gather for upgrade etc. It gets old for after a while. Graphics is good, it does get choppy on some areas FPS-wise but overall smooth gaming.

I haven't gone far enough the story-wise coz I've just been killing everything that moves and running around but so far, it's OK.

Kinda bugs me that these machine robot animals acts too much like animals. I mean, c'mon...

8. Gengar

High Score:
    ... At no point did the fps noticeably drop for me. Like, ever.

And the combat is nothing like Far Cry, though the comparison is fair in other regards - crafting, as you say, upgrades, potions machine 'zones' etc.

And the machines have a purpose. They're not just there because robots are 'cool'.

9. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Finally got around to finishing this.

Story left a lot to be desired, but I loved the combat aspects. Overiding/corrupting machines and/or stealing their heavy weapons was a fantastic mechanic. Mainly relied on bow/sling, blast exploitation, and stealth combat which were all very satisfying. I played on Very Hard, so I didn't experience much spear combat because that usually resulted in death.

Also, as butterface as she is, I have a not-so-little crush on Aloy. Reminds me of Korra from Avatar.

I think I might just have a thing for women who could easily beat the shit out of me.

10. Gengar

High Score:
    I think the present day stuff is meh, but you thought the origins of Zero Dawn left much to be desired?

I don't ever remember being so driven to find the next audio log...

11. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I wasn't that interested, no.

12. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

Personally, while I liked it conceptually (rogue, self-propagating machine swarm turning on humanity is awesome), it was a bit of a letdown that all of humanity was wiped out and then remade into bronze-age savages all because one man was fundamentally incapable of admitting error.

It's not terribly unrealistic, mind, just very dull and anti-climactic. I wasn't terribly fond of it at all.

Don't get me wrong, the whole robot dinosaurs/animals thing is pretty sweet, and I found the world fascinating, but the story/history of that world was serviceable at best, and rather disappointing at worst.

13. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

I recently bought a PS4 and it was bundled with this game.

I haven't played it yet but it looks promising. Will let you know how is it once I play it.