1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Puiwaihin's: Harry Potter Minister of Magic Challenge (#1)

Discussion in 'Challenges' started by R. Daneel Olivaw, Apr 16, 2013.

1. R. Daneel Olivaw

R. Daneel Olivaw Groundskeeper

Summary: Harry becomes a minister preaching love and tolerance. Not Minister for Magic like Minister of Defense, but minister like as in a religious minister.

Rules:
    Harry Potter becomes a pacifist. He will not use magic, or even violent physical action to harm another being. That doesn't mean he won't involve himself in fights. He can still shield others in battles, fight fire with water, imprison another, use 'painless' stun or imprisonment techniques. Use his patronus. Etc. (Only exception to the 'no harm' rule is against pure evil, soulless creatures. Inferi and dementors can be blasted away.)

2. Harry seeks to spread the belief of tolerance, kindness, and love to everyone. He want to save everyone. Both Malfoys. Bellatrix. Snape. Sirius. Remus. Voldemort. Even Dumbledore needs saving.

3. The power of love works. It shields and transforms. But does no harm. To anyone. (However, that does not mean it won't be painful to those not ready for it.)

4. The first few chapters can include Harry struggling with his own inner hate and anger. During this time he can use violence against others. But once he overcomes it Harry never again is angry. Not for any reason. It is no longer part of his character.

Setting: Any time after Chamber of Secrets.

Pairings: Any, as long as it is portrayed as love, not lust.

Here's one scene as I imagined it to give you a start--optional:

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  2. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Holy Christian allegory, Batman.

Harry Potter and the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.

Also, your definition of pacifism is extremely flexible. If you're going to do this, do it properly.

3. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

Pretty sure this concept has reached a level of retardation where no author could salvage it.

4. Redeye

Redeye Penultimate Lurker DLP Supporter

This is almost "Hall of Shame" worthy... Though I could see this being a decent crack-fic featuring Jesus!Harry. Hard to take the challenge seriously otherwise.

5. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Harry feeds the five thousand.

13 When Harry heard what had happened, he withdrew by broom privately to a solitary place. Hearing of this, the crowds followed him by apparition from the towns. 14 When Harry landed and saw a large crowd, he had compassion on them and healed their sick with "episky".

15 As evening approached, the DA came to him and said, “This is a remote place, and it’s already getting late. Send the crowds away, so they can go to the villages and buy themselves some food.”

16 Harry replied, “They do not need to go away. You give them something to eat.”

17 “We have here only five loaves of bread and two fish,” they answered.

18 “Bring them here to me,” he said. 19 And he directed the people to sit down on the grass. Taking the five loaves and the two fish and taking out his wand, he uttered the duplication charm and broke the loaves. Then he gave them to the DA, and the DA gave them to the people. 20 They all ate and were satisfied, and the DA picked up twelve basketfuls of broken pieces that were left over. 21 The number of those who ate was about five thousand men, besides women and children.

Edit: this could work.

Insane!Harry brought up by the Dursleys religiously, ends up convinced he's Jesus because of his powers, keeps using magic in front of Muggles as "miracles". Ministry of Magic working desperately to contain him. Could be a nice short comedy fic.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  6. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

7. Meerkats

Meerkats Unspeakable

Pacifist!Harry just gave me Cancer. So much for no harm.

8. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I think the way puiwaihan did it was decent, but it's not something that appeals to me as a fanfic reader, unless it's done humorlessly, ala Taure's idea. Harry Potter written in the form of a Magical Bible on the other hand...

9. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

More or less what Don said -- it's a decent idea but not something that is going to appeal to a wide audience.

For some reason it made me think of reading Dresden Files from Michael's POV. Which doesn't sound that bad, but it's just not quite as much fun.

10. R. Daneel Olivaw

Ah well, wrong audience.

I got the idea in response to seeing several "Harry has sex with people and Voldemort gets fried because he can't handle that" scenarios. The idea was to take the concept of love being the "power he knows not" and run with it it. In Philosopher's Stone the power of Lily's love gives Harry super protection. In Order of the Phoenix it forces Voldemort out of Harry's mind. Dumbledore pretty much hints that the power Harry has is love.

In canon, Harry ultimately defeats Voldemort with the Hallows, a horcrux hidden within himself, his blood in Voldemort, and the rubbish with the allegiance of the elder wand. Deus Ex machina was the power. It certainly wasn't the power of love.

But yeah, I guess DLP doesn't roll that way. Silly me.

Sure, that would fit the challenge, as long as Harry being about love actually helps him.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
  11. Ched

I think part of the issue is that you are trying to pigeonhole him into "love only" or something.

Turning the "power of love" from lame into something cool is a good idea I think. I could see that being done. But the way you talk about Harry not hurting people, trying to spread tolerance, not lose his temper, and so on... That is what doesn't fit.

It's like you think that things like anger don't mix well with love. But hell, man, they do. They really do. Want to really piss someone off? Hurt someone they love.

What you described was more Harry-the-Religious-Figure, as other people have said. I think this would go better if you chopped off some of that and just left the bit where "the power of love" is a legit thing that Harry can access. Have him grow and improve, let his strength and power grow as he forms "bonds" with people or something Naruto-ish like that, maybe try to rein in his temper or a few of the other things, but don't take it so far that he ceases to be human and becomes divine.

12. R. Daneel Olivaw

Yeah, I did intend for this to be a Harry as a religious figure, though more new-Age than Christian. It doesn't work for this crowd, fair enough. I probably should have known better. Ok, not probably.

Sure, the "righteous wrath" idea is a tried and true concept, but that's not really original. It's not exactly cliche, more of a archetypal concept that will probably always work if done well, but I was going for a different approach. You know, really overcome hate with love, not hate with hate cause they hurt the one you love.

On the other hand, I did witness some weird Japanese anime with a unicorn that defeated the Big Bad in the story by saying the line, "...But I want to be your friend..." and it was the most horribly ridiculous thing I've ever seen. So, yeah, I can totally understand the reaction.

I just figured it could be done well by somebody. But anyway...

As for love and anger not going together, it's not that I don't think you can't love someone and be angry at the same time, it's that love is based deeply in understanding. And if Harry becomes this religious guru figure capable of loving everyone, it means he understands them and will be able to really empathize. Anger pretty much doesn't fit in with that. Of course, if you only love some people, then it's really easy to get wrathful when someone you don't love hurts someone you do. And you can get angry if someone you love does something stupid that hurts themselves.

13. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

That's better.

14. Russano

Russano Disappeared

So your idea is to take a world filled with bad, cliche, poorly thought out ideas, preachy, houlier than thou attitudes, centuries outdated moralities, mysticism, slavery and resurrections, and a healthy dose of love conquering the evil people trying to force their ideology on society...

...and then you take the only good part of it. The Sex.

Congrautlations bro. You just rewrote the Bible.

15. R. Daneel Olivaw

Well, I suppose, but I was thinking more like Reverend Moon or Falun gung than Hidan High Priest of Jashin.

16. Ched

Blah blah blah... Wasn't Russano the badger with the little stick the squirrel used to have? Memories XD

17. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I was thinking more along the lines of Jim Jones, L. Ron Hubbard, or even that DLP'ers WH40k crossover where Harry was a cult-leaderish figure for some kind of corrupting alien force.

18. R. Daneel Olivaw

Probably more DLP's style, just not what I had in mind.

19. CrackedMind

CrackedMind Minister of Magic

For some reason, the idea of a religious leader!Harry makes me think of Bioshock Infinite. I would read the shit out of a story where Harry is the head of a cult-like Religion in a city in the sky. I'm thinking a mixture of Taure's Lords of Magic and Amerision's Zealot.

If someone could write it, I would throw money at you.

20. Henry Persico

Henry Persico Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

If you want a Harry using 'the power of love, DLP style' read Nuhuh's Catharsis. On the other hand, I would read about Jesus!Harry, he's essentially a "messiah" kind of character, so he fits the profile. Writing him as someone like Reverend Moon it's not such a good idea. You have 2 organizations following cult like steps, The Order of the Phoenix and The Death Eaters, adding a third one would be too much. And it reminds me of those independent fics where Harry usually creates a secret group behind the OotP.