1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Quagmire by Kataja - T - Star Wars

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by Nerdman3000, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Nerdman3000

Nerdman3000 Seventh Year

Title: Quagmire
    Author: Kajata
    Rating: T
    Chapters: 36
    Words: 219,650
    Updated: Sep 28, 2011
    Published: Jun 14, 2010
    Summary: As the Battle of Endor approaches a Jedi and a spy find themselves on common, boggy ground.
    Link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/6051581/1/Quagmire

Quagmire is one of those Star Wars fics that while very excellent even to a person whose only seen the movies, the experience reading them is completely enhanced when having read many of the expanded universe novels, especially the critically acclaimed Thrawn Trilogy. It's an alternate universe story that takes place during and around the events of Return of the Jedi and offers an interesting and believable take on Mara Jade infiltrating the Rebellion and meeting Luke Skywalker earlier then she did in continuity. While there are a few cases of typo's, it doesn't detract from this amazing story that deals with Luke Skywalker and the character of Mara Jade, an Imperial Assassin for the Emperor.

This story is a goldmine with many references to various parts of the expanded universe that as a person who's read those novels, will put a smile on your face when you pick them out. Overall it's one of my favorite Star Wars fanfics and as a person who loves the series and the Expanded Universe novels, I highly recommend this story.

However the ending I will note is very open ended. The author has stated that she plans to do a sequel which would serve as a part 2 of a planned trilogy. I spoken with her on private messaging and she states that she hopefully plans to publish the sequel sometimes early 2014 when she's finished writing half of it. I for one simply can not wait for it.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  2. coleam

coleam Death Eater

Just read through it. It's a decent story, but the author lacks imagination. The twists are all heavily telegraphed to the point where nothing surprised me at all (for example, it was obvious from the first scene she appeared in that
    Shira was an Imperial spy of some sort
    , and the author spoiled the thing with
    Artoo
    herself to appease her reviewers) and it falls into cliche pretty often. Combined with the frequent typos, I don't feel comfortable recommending this for the library. Maybe the author's skills have improved over the past two years and the sequel will be better.

A good idea hampered by execution. 3.5, rounded down to 3/5.

3. tad2103

tad2103 First Year

I could agree with you coleam, except that the story is being told through the eyes a character, Mara, that has both the same training, a similar mission, and a similar perspective. Things that are subtle or oblivious to other characters stick out because she recognizes. to some extent, her own bag of tricks.

My favorite part of the story was the depth of integration of the expanded universe in the story.

For what this story is, which is a "for want of a nail" exploration of Mara Jade and pre-ROTJ canon, I think it is excellent. 4/5

4. coleam

coleam Death Eater

Literally the first scene we see her in - which is through Luke's eyes, not Mara's - had me thinking that she was going to be a spy. It's at least partly intentional (Luke senses something odd about her), but it ruins one of the bigger twists in the fic, which I think is sloppy writing.

5. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

It started off pretty much like every other Mara/Luke story set during the trilogy. So much so that I initially thought I'd already read it before. It did get a bit more interesting as it continued though. It was a lot better than most fics that follow a similar concept, but still ended up somewhat cheesy. I did like the ending though.

Did enjoy it, but I think it's only a guilty pleasure and not quite library material. 3/5.

6. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

As someone who hasn't read any Stars Wars fanfiction or taken an interest beyond watching the films, I found it fairly entertaining if predictable. It was enough to keep me up reading three hours later than intended and I look forward to the sequel, so I'd give it a 4/5.

7. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

8. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

Appreciated. Time for me to expand my horizons again.