1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Quality Naruto fics

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Inert, Feb 17, 2012.

1. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    A Teacher's Glory does not belong in the library--I read it and enjoyed it, but doing so gave me a headache. The flow is fractured and doesn't always make sense, and there were parts I found myself skipping because I couldn't make heads or tails of what the author was saying.

Would benefit greatly from an extra dose of coherence.

2. GiantMonkeyMan

GiantMonkeyMan High Inquisitor

My understanding is that A Teacher's Glory was meant to be a crackfic (with Kakashi being actually killed by three genin and all) but it has evolved into something presumably 'more'. Personally, I can't get past the initial ridiculousness of the premise to take any of it particularly seriously.

3. KaiDASH

KaiDASH Auror DLP Supporter

The four fics I most eagerly await updates for atm are:

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7478793/1/Daybreak_Part_I Daybreak by DigitalTart. Sequel to One Small Kindness

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8067258/1/Worth_Dying_For Worth Dying for by Shadow Rebirth. Naruto has a higher regeneration factor than in canon and graduates the academy half a year earlier.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7173680/1/Dead_Garden Dead Garden by Aaron Nowack. Sakura is the Kyuubi host and Kushina lived. Fair warning, Sakura is the primary PoV character (if you live and die by Naruto-centric fics).

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7096419/1/Rise_of_the_Uchiha Rise of the Uchiha by AlphaEph19. The Uchiha rebellion is successful and Itachi is on the run with Sasuke (again, Naruto isn't the primary PoV char).

4. Cxjenious

Cxjenious Dark Lord

The Girl with Red Hair. Pretty decent - a few typo's here and there, but overall...

I like it. HP/Crossover

5. KaiDASH

KaiDASH Auror DLP Supporter

6. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

A Teacher's Glory was... like a pile of gravel with some gems mixed in. It was disjointed, sometimes difficult to follow with a strange version of 3rd POV, and rambled on occasion. It was hard to care about the characters. Various bits of the plot were irksome.

But within all that were some really great gems of writing. Every now and then I'd read a paragraph and go "damn, that's awesome imagery" or "that was really cool" or "I like how the author changed this." It kept me reading, and I finished what has been posted of the story.

The story as a whole started to improve around, I think, Chapter Seven or Eight. Team 7 returned from their mission to Wave, my interest picked up as we ceased having bits from Haku/Asuma/Ino/Zabuza POVs and focused on the Team, and the writing smoothed out a little. We kept having those "gems" though, mixed in with little amusing bits, and it ended up being a fairly engaging read at that point.

It was still slightly disjointed in places and had a few rough spots, but I think if the quality of early chapters had been nearer that of the later ones it might be worth putting up For Review. Maybe the author will go back and do some edits sometime?

At present though I can only offer a 3.5/5, and round down to 3.

---------- Post automerged at 11:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 AM ----------

A Girl With Red Hair is great but a little slow moving. A bit more than 80k words in and Harry, who started the Academy near the start, hasn't yet finished it. Granted a decent bit has happened in that time, with the Nine Tails attack and all, but I think the pacing of some events could have been better.

It's interesting, and quite well written, but I'm starting to get a bit anxious to see more of a plot emerge. Harry does quite a few things, including:

Gets kidnapped by Orochimaru, acquiring a cursed seal. He manages to contain it given that he is an Uzumaki and has their special chakra (Kushina is his grandmother's niece, on Lily's side). That makes sense and was handled well. He also managed to bind the half of the nine-tails that wasn't sealed into Naruto, allowing Minato to survive, barely, that night. He has friends at the academy though they are very two-dimensional.

So it's not like nothing has happened, it has, but I do think the pacing could be done better. Harry mostly reacts at this stage, though I suppose that is fairly in character for him given canon.

It's well written and great, but it wasn't riveting.

It gets a 3.5 at best from me. I haven't decided to round up or down. If we ever make it to canon events of either series I'll consider rounding it up or down. If it's done well and goes up to 4/5 I'll put it up for Review if no one else does. But I have a feeling we're a ways away from that happening.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  7. Dullahan

Dullahan Fourth Year

I came across this story recently, and thought it was quite well done. Bleach/Naruto, with Naruto as a vindictive, hateful, refreshingly believable Hollow.

Amenaza

I give it a 4/5, but I have strange taste apparently.

8. Brukel

Brukel Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

Yeah I rather like Amenaza as well, but there is something about it that kinda turns me off it at the same time. It appeals more for the fact that Hollow Naruto is in fact a Hollow and not a dude in a mask macking Tia and Nel.

Its enjoyable and decent enough quality for a distraction fic, but not Something that's going to define a genre other than one dominated by crap like Naruto/Bleach crossovers.

On reflection it's possibly because I find it really hard to relate Hollow Naruto to the one from the actual manga, but then again its not like Hollows are anything like Naruto is generally presented as for the most part.

I would give it a 3.5 leaning towards a 3 if anything.

9. tragicmat1

tragicmat1 Death Eater

That. Amenaza is great as a time waster, and the writing isn't too bad. But really, if not for Kyuubi interactions, I don't even want to call that Naruto anymore, but just a really strong Hollow.

10. Wildfeather

Wildfeather The Nidokaiser ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I'll be honest. If we weren't told Naruto won that battle, i'd have thought Kurama won it and was just using Naruto's hollow body. There really isn't anything recognizably Naruto from where i've read so far. No shadow clone, different personality, no innate goodness. I'll read it because i'm bored, but this is basically bleach FF.

11. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

Also it's a bit sick in later chapters. Not really sure what the think of the author, but this isn't going to end up on my favorites. Naruto is genuinely evil the entire story.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  12. Brukel

Brukel Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

Well he is a Hollow, not really people (creatures?) for fighting the good fight in the first place. But yeah the last few chapters rate pretty high on the sicko-meter.

13. Aerylife

Aerylife Not Equal

High Score:
    Most of the Arrancar we saw were crazy but not sadist.

14. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

I'll take a genuinely evil protagonist; it's rare enough as is, but it's not done in such a fashion that I want to stop reading in disgust. The author falls into the problem of "everything else must be even more evil!" and the crossover feels forced at best; would probably be better as an OC Hollow honestly. The writing does need work; too many reused words and phrases, the flow isn't that great, etc, but it's a solid time waster.

15. Cxjenious

Cxjenious Dark Lord

Time waster indeed. It fucking sucks. The writing is bad, and the Naruto's 'descent' into evil sadism? Shitty. Very shitty. The fight scenes suck too.

2/5.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
  16. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

I think we've lost sight of this thread's original purpose.

17. Sin Saiori

Sin Saiori Death Eater

Nah, I think we're still on track but we've ran out of good fics to suggest.

18. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

I don't believe so. We just have differing opinions on what constitutes a "quality" story.

Anyway, I'll go through my favorites list and try and pick some non-shitty stories out to recommend later. There's probably something on there that isn't awful.

19. tragicmat1

tragicmat1 Death Eater

20. Striker

Striker What's up demons?

Mentioned in the previous page.