1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Queen Titania

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Water Mage, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Water Mage

Water Mage Denarii Host

So I was rereading Summer Knight the other day and I was wondering why why we haven't seen the Summer Queen yet. In SK we saw every Queen of Faerie but her. Dresden saw her briefly when she took away Aurora, but only as a glowing being I think. Do you guys think Butcher is going to do some type of big reveal with her identity? Maybe she's spent some time in the mortal world and Dresden knows her, and that's why we never saw her face? What do you guys think?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2008
  2. RJL333

RJL333 Third Year

This could open up a new realm of possibilities that one could tinker with. Imagine the possibility that goes in the human realm looking like a mortal and tricks one of the main people into making a deal?

3. Water Mage

Water Mage Denarii Host

I just now noticed I spelled her name wrong in the thread topic. Its Titania.

4. Jearom

Jearom Sixth Year

SMALL FAVOR SPOILER WARNING

I don't think Titania has a mortal disguise we haven't seen yet. If she did I think she'd be taking more shots at Dresden. After the events in Small Favor we know that she is holding a grudge against Dresden for killing her daughter, regardless of the fact that Aurora was insane. So I would definitely expect to see more attempts by Titania. The question is, how far will she go for revenge? Would she bargain with the Denarians or the Black Council? How restricted is she by the Accords and Old World sensibilities in taking direct action?

If the Events in Small Favor are any indication she has to wait until Mab declares Dresden an agent of the Winter Court. And since the Gruffs attacked before Harry's meeting with Mab she doesn't have to wait for Harry to be informed of it either.

5. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Title fixed fer you Mage.

Also; Titania. Loots of potential for epic win and as much for fail. I'm trying to do something with her in Winter's Knight series, but nothing for a bit. And infinitely more subtle than obvious assassins.

Eet r nawt sekritz if all knoes!

6. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Retired Staff

According to Vash's research Titania is meant to be more powerful than Mab, but will Butcher take the route? It is unlikely. I think he is more into the balance between Summer and Winter, and also working on Mab going nuts, Lea imprisoned, and Maeve going behind her mother's back.

Your idea that Titania could be someone he knows personally is pretty cool, I would like to see that. On the other hand out of the list of females we have seen I don't think I would like to see any as the Summer Queen.

The one thing I don't like about Butcher's writing is the pace of his plot development. He shows you something explicitly and then makes no mention of it for the next couple of books. Titania may be revealed in the same manner.

7. Water Mage

Water Mage Denarii Host

Thanks for the title fix, Vash. It was bugging the hell out of me.

The thing with the assassins got me thinking. Did they ever say why she sent them? Is it because she has a grudge against Harry because of Aurora? Or was it because Winter wanted Ivy rescued, and Summer always moves against Winter, so they opposed it? It just seemed to so random that I forgot whatever the reasoning was.

Titania more powerful than Mab? That is something that I never thought of. Butcher does seem more into balancing the courts, so maybe he wont go that route. But it would make sense. Summer fire does melt Winter ice.

While I think it would be cool for the reveal to be someone he knows. I agree with you. It could potentially blow up in his face, since all the women Dresden knows don't seem all that up to par with a Queen.

You're right about Butcher showing stuff and then not fully revealing till a few books later. I'm still waiting on the explanation of Dresden being some kind of planned from birth, super Outsider killing wizard that they mentioned, and then never brought back up.

8. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I think it was a mixture of both those things; the chance to mess up Winter's plans and get revenge on Harry at the same time.

9. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Keep in mind he has 10 books to go so he isn't going to explain everything in a single book. :p

10. Anlun

Anlun Denarii Host

It makes sense that Titania, who as a representation of the Summer Court, would be at the moment more powerful then Mab. Look at the Winter Court, its in shambles. There is still no Winter Knight to balance the Summer Knight. You have a high level Sidhe frozen in a block of ice or whatever for god knows what reason. You have Maeve who does what she wills, whereas Lily seems resigned to follow the Queen (with the exception of that trinket or w/e in SF). And finally you have the fact that Artic Tor, the heart of Winter was broken into and left in shambles.
    Overall it would make sense that the Summer Queen is stronger as her court seems to be in better condition.

11. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

Agreed. She's probably stronger, if not because of raw power, then because her Court doesn't look like it's gone through a meat-grinder.

12. Water Mage

Water Mage Denarii Host

Mab still has the dagger from Lea that's supposed to be up there with one of the Swords of the Cross, so I don't count the Winter Court too far out of the power loop.

13. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

The dagger which may or may not be driving her insane. (Although, I personally think this 'insanity' is just an act)

14. Jearom

Jearom Sixth Year

Eldest Gruff wasn't told by Titania why she was trying to block Mab in freeing Marcone and Ivy any more than Mab told Dresden. We know that Eldest Gruff is one of Summer's heaviest hitters - he was wearing three Wizards' stoles that Harry knew he could only get by killing them. I got the impression that the Titania could have treated the whole thing as proforma and sent some other Summer lackeys, but instead sent the Gruffs, who seem to be fairly high up in the Summer Court. I believe Bob and Harry had a conversation to this effect: that Titania is playing hardball because she still holds a grudge against him. I would guess that she normally can't take direct action against him, but that as soon as Mab called in her marker and made him her Emissary he was fair game. Jumping him before Mab tells him about it sounds like the kind of loophole the either Queen would use. Hell, Mab is still pissed about Harry's part in destroying Arctis Tor - I wouldn't be surprised if she told Titania before she tapped Dresden hoping he would get crushed.

15. Water Mage

Water Mage Denarii Host

I dont think she's insane either. I think that something is trying to control her, or she's obligated to do something clearly against her will. Possibly the dagger is a tool from the Black Council or an Outside. Who knows. She's finding ways around the control however, like talking to Harry through Grimalkin, and winking at him in Arctis Tor when he kills the fetches.

Mab didnt seem pissed at Dresden to me. She unleashed the mega voice at him, but I figured that was only because he mentioned Thorned Namshiel. He must have been the one using Hellfire in the attack on Arctis Tor. Dresden even though he did attack the fortress played right into Mab's interests. She did wink at him during the attack, which I took to mean well done or something. So I think she's more pissed that she hasn't had a chance to further strike back against those who attacked Winter's capital.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2008
  16. Helltanz98

Helltanz98 Professor

I personnally suspect Titania will get attacked by whatever force raided Arctis Tor.

17. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

That's the impression that I got as well. It was just Harry who assumed that he might one day be on the receiving end of her anger. Since so far he has done nothing but help the Winter Court I find it somewhat doubtful that Mab would take him down of her own free will.

18. Water Mage

Water Mage Denarii Host

Hellfire vs. Summer fire. Should be a damn good fight.

19. Verse of Darkness

Verse of Darkness Denarii Host

If anything, I think Titania is getting manipulated by the Black Council.

20. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

Given that she's one of the Fairy Queens, and, as such, belongs to the super heavy, heavy weight class in the Nevernever, and is a fairy (A Queen no less) and has probably been fooling millions of people ever since she was born, I doubt it.