1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Questions about YOUR FANFIC that don't deserve their own thread...

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Ched, Aug 3, 2013.

1. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Reading that fanon page makes me feel sick.

2. Hitwizard1993

Hitwizard1993 First Year

High Score:
    I have a question.

In a scene that Ron is investigating, there's something about it that tips him off that it wasn't just an open and shut suicide case.

The 'what' is escaping me. It's something small, and something on the surface, unless you were specifically looking for something unusual, it wouldn't even be noticed.

Any ideas?

3. wordhammer

wordhammer Dark Lord DLP Supporter

Victim had just bought groceries.

4. Hitwizard1993

Hitwizard1993 First Year

High Score:
    That makes perfect sense.

5. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Or maybe a fresh batch of potion ingredients.

6. Chadrew

Chadrew Second Year

This is probably a stupid question, but please bear with me. When writing in limited third-person perspective, is it okay to write that another (non-PoV) character decided something?

I'm tempted to put "apparently decided" or "seemed to decide" in there. This specific example aside, I do this a lot when writing - it's all "he looked angry" or "she seemed indignant" instead of putting it more directly. I mean, how would the PoV character know what the others are thinking for sure?

I feel like overusing "appeared" and "seemed" is a bad habit though. Please show me the way.

7. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

You could cut out 'but decided that the boy was serious' if you wanted. He answers the question, so even if he wasn't sure about Harry being serious, he's still answering.

I think the more compact version works unless you're trying to define Ron's character a bit more, or padding word count.

8. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Who's pov is it, Harry's? I think the age-old "Show, don't tell" would work here.

9. Chadrew

Chadrew Second Year

Yep, it's Harry's. Thanks for the suggestions.

10. RDavidson

RDavidson Disappeared

High Score:
    In my AU 4th year fic I'm coming up on Hermione's birthday. I've got gifts figured out for Harry and Ron to give her, but so far in this fic, Neville, Luna, and Ginny are also closer friends, so they ought to get her some small gifts. I'm not sure what, though. Any suggestions?

11. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    It's Hermione. Just throw books at her, maybe a Flourish & Blotts gift certificate.

EDIT: Luna could give her a Quibbler subscription, I guess.

12. wordhammer

wordhammer Dark Lord DLP Supporter

It rather depends on how these folks see her, whether aquaintance, friend, close friend, potential fancy. It also depends on which version of the characters you're using.

Canon Neville is a clueless boy like the rest of them, so would probably just get her a book. A Neville who likes her might get her warm knitted hat, gloves, muffler and even knee-high socks, in Gryffindor colours, so they don't seem too intimate a gift...

Canon Luna would get her a Quibbler sub. Closer Luna might buy her 'The Little Prince' by Antoine de St. Exupery (it makes sense if you've read it). Seer Luna might buy her enchanted knitting needles.

Canon Ginny would get her Sugar Quills- low cost, high likelihood of enjoyment. Besties Ginny might get her a framed Weasely family portrait or get Colin to snap some good friends-together pictures.

13. RDavidson

RDavidson Disappeared

High Score:
    Wow, these are all very good. Thank you!

14. Jon

Why do people enjoy writing 'gamer fics' so much? They're literally the cancer of fanfiction. More then that, what caused the surge of autists who enjoy reading them so much that they've proliferated to this level?

Sey
  15. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

Speaking as someone who's part of the problem: because easy power levels system + easy means of powering up your MC + easy excuse to have lots of action + easy way to feed plot to your readers (quests).

It's a way of simplifying writing for me at times when I don't particularly feel like putting much thought into what I write, but just want to explore an idea (internal logic be damned, one can justify anything with quests) and see how it goes.

16. Jon

Using the 'Game System' as a mechanic to advance story is fine, but the when 75% of chapters are just 'game stats' and skills, it's beyond retarded. I just can't even.

17. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

Well I agree with you there, and dislike those Gamer types of gamer stories that center the whole thing around numbers.

18. methor

methor Fourth Year

I really enjoy just watching numbers go up, but I haven't found a Gamer story that isn't stupid yet.

19. Plotless

Plotless High Inquisitor

The Games We Play by Ryuugi is pretty good if you don't mind RWBY.

20. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    The Gamer is REALLY easy to crossover with, because the 'cool' part of it is a single person's ability.

If you do a crossover with [placeholder] and Harry Potter (for comparison), you have to either
    - make Harry/[Placeholder character] cross dimensional boundaries/vast distances of space. Usually done by feat of ROB
    - explain how they've been hidden behind a masquerade the entire time (limited on what you can cross with, because once you get two going on at the same time it can get confusing)
    - completely alter backstories so that everything's always been okay.

But to crossover with The Gamer, you just have them gain the power. In a fantasy world, it can be a blessing from gods/Gods/spirits. In an SI it can be a present from Jumpchan/ROB/Zaimokuza. In Worm (because that's popular) that's what they trigger with. In that summoning thing SB liked, they can summon the MC and then join his party. In video game crossovers, then the world actually has things like the pause screen, and so everyone has the power by default but they're all idiots who couldn't uplift a society if someone would only show them how to make a printing press.

Also, The Gamer is easy to get into. It's available online, for free, in English, without too much digging. The first result on Google, even.

And then, it's not complicated -
    You don't have to remember all the different characters (because it's a smallish cast, and they're all manga characters so they have defining traits).
    You don't have to hold onto the plot (because the MC narrates things, and explains things that happened only a few chapters ago).
    You don't really have to hide your screen either - whilst there's some scenes and characters you wouldn't want your nan to see, it's not (for the most part) explicit or too weird. Certainly, it's not mainstream, but it's better to have fullscreened than MLP or Monster Musume.

Thirdly, different sites have different mentalities.

One of the things I've noticed about two sites in particular is their "I want to join in"ness. Omakes abound once you get past two or three pages, and some of these spawn their own stories in full. Some skip the omake step, and just proceed to writing their own story, inspired by another use.

It spawns almost a lek (I don't know the shop term, but there is one), where new readers get drawn in by these three or five stories all happening at once, and even if they haven't heard of [fandom] before, they'll give it a shot because there's loads of words written about it.

Given that quests (also popular there) often give rewards for piling in and writing extra omakes, and some writers canonize their favourite additions, it also offers a low risk way of starting out. Planning a whole story is hard, but writing a single scene for something you like (of something the author liked, but didn't have the budget to make a whole real thing out of (we need to go deeper)) is much easier, requires much less thought, and will receive much less ridicule.

Also, anime tiddies.

You've got the old woman who looks like a young girl, the sporty girl next door, the angry redhead surrounded by mystery (at least, initially), the youthful mother with (surprise!) a mysterious past, and all the other characters I've forgotten because there're boring and only appear infrequently.

Last edited: May 27, 2017