1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Questions that don't deserve their own thread.

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Quick Ben, Feb 1, 2012.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Nauro

Nauro Headmaster

Someone needs to write a short story where someone goes "Lord Malfoy", and with a look of distaste and a shudder the said member of the family asks to be called 'Mr. Malfoy' instead, as the the title, if true, is too muggle in nature.

Now I imagine Harry and Ron constantly referring to Draco as 'Lord Malfoy' every time they meet in public post Hogwarts and he can't do anything about it. Especially when other wizards get curious.

2. Glimmervoid

Glimmervoid Professor

Or the title could have passed down a squib line and separated from the wizarding Malfoys. Another important consideration is a female eldest child. The generally non-sexist wizards would see the Wizarding portions of the Malfoy estates go to the daughter but under the rules of muggle inheritance, the son would take the title. This became even more important if their is only a daughter, in which case the title could go extinct if it exists by letter patent.

We must also consider that the Malfoys need not have had an inheritable title. They could have been made knights and had access to the Queen court that way.

3. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    If it makes me look stupid to ask this then so be it, but can someone tell me why HPwiki is held in such low regard around DLP?

4. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

I'm pretty sure it's because it has information from every Harry Potter source. ie movies, books, games, and pottermore. Wiki information is harder to regulate. However I think it's pretty safe to assume that JK has given her approval for all of these franchises which means she agrees that the main facts are a part of her world. I think many people on DLP feel that the only HP canon to read is in the seven books. However I have heard complaints from people that those aren't canon either. How does that work out?

5. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I don't know what the HP Wiki is like now because I haven't looked at it in years, but back when the DLP opinion on it was first established there was a lot of semi-canon/fanon stated as fact. The most obvious example I can recall was a page on the Salem Academy in America, which at that point hadn't even been mentioned by JKR and as such was drawn most entirely from fanfiction.

6. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

It treats video game material as canon. Like for example the Flipendo spell or Spongify.

Or even game-exclusive characters.

7. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The problem of an all-inclusive approach to canon can be summed up in one sentence:

Did Harry receive his Firebolt before or after he met Sirius Black in the Shrieking Shack?

8. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

What Aekiel said. There was a lot of Fanon in there, and that was combined with horrible sourcing (obviously, since you can't exactly source a Fanon theory). The result was that it was useless at best (what's the point of reading fact X, when you can't be sure whether it's Fanon or Canon, since there's no source?) and misleading at worst (people holding fact X for Canon when it's not).

I think the sourcing aspect has gotten a little better, but it's still not really useful to me, since I don't want to read an article, skip to footnotes and find the source is Harry Potter LEGO.

Edit: And the article about Dark Arts is still the same shit it was years ago o_O
    My comment on that is three years old by now.

9. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    They've cleaned a lot of the fanon stuff up now and I still use the HPwiki when I need to find information fast (after checking the sources that is). The problem as other have said is it considers things said or seen in the media outside the books to be canon unless they directly contradict what is seen in the books.

10. Rhaegar I

Rhaegar I Death Eater

Did the Books ever explain how Sirius knew Harry was with the Dursleys, and where the Dursleys even lived?

EDIT: As for HPwiki: they treat video games as Canon. Need I say more?

11. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

Hagrid told him that he was taking Harry to his relatives on the night Voldemort attacked. That was when Sirius gave him the flying motor bike.

12. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

HP Wiki says mah gurl Lavender "L-Money" Brown is dead 'cause of the movies 'n shit. So fuck that site. LAV LAV IS LEGION. LAV LAV IS FOREVER.

13. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Nope, the books aren't living so they can't explain, tell, say, or do anything. The author, however, can explain something in a book.

Grammar-Nazi-Asshatness aside, I think it's one of those fridge-logic things, and also easily hand-waved with "It was Lily's sister, so James talked about it with everyone once or twice." So no, I don't think it was expressly said in canon.

Then again, the series opens with Dumbledore, Minerva, and Hagrid all knowing where the Dursleys lived, and from the sounds of it, they probably knew before the attack on the Potters. But that's canon+, rather than pure canon.

14. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

Quote from HP and the Prisoner of Azkaban Chapter 12:

"An' then he says, 'Give Harry ter me, Hagrid, I'm his godfather, I'll
    look after him —' Ha! But I'd had me orders from Dumbledore, an' I
    told Black no, Dumbledore said Harry was ter go ter his aunt an'
    uncle's."
    That should clear things up.

15. Knoq

Knoq Temporarily Banhammered

What did Voldemort's farts smell like and did they kill small animals?

16. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

I was just looking through the help and FAQ and can't find what I'm looking for. What do the "thumbs up" mean and where in the user control panel are the reputation points?

17. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Voldemort, as we all know, perfected his ritual dark magic demon summoning spell so that his new body would not need to excrete waste at all, and was better at dark magic in general due to the chaos magic inherent in all demons.

---------- Post automerged at 07:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:05 PM ----------

Thumbs up are an equivalent to the 'like' button on facebook. They're just a way of showing appreciation for a post without commenting.

Reputation is no longer with us, but it was a precursor to the thumbs up; each user had reputation points that would be shown as a green/red scale based on positive or negative reputation. Users could give good/bad reputation points to other users to show appreciation for/mock them.

It was pretty damn heavily abused, even after it was banned and brought back a second time, so it was gotten rid of permanently. The FAQ has presumably not been looked at by any of the mods/admin since the thumbs up button was introduced so it hasn't been updated.

18. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Huh . . . I'm on another site that has that, but only has a positive rep button after a similar issue. That's worked out pretty well. Amazing how childish adults can be at times, isn't it?

19. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

If you think that 8 years ago the majority of this site were adults...

Also wrong thread, nerds. Sesc is gonna be sad. :(

Not open for further replies.