1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Questions that don't deserve their own thread

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Glimmervoid, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

Evil Bob had a body, for a given definition of the term, in Ghost Story, so I can only assume normal Bob does too. Not sure if he can bring it into the real world, but I haven't seen anything to indicate he's different from other spirits in that regard.

2. bastur2

bastur2 DA Member

I don't think that he dan bring a body out of the nevernever, as if he could, he wouldn't need his skull or to possess an animal for protection from the sun.

3. Wildfeather

Wildfeather The Nidokaiser ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Also just a thought about the 'killing with magic' law, we know that magic is about willpower. Rather, in some ways it can be thought of as imposing upon reality (via supernatural means) your will. This isn't X-men, your magic will not (as far as I know) spontaneously manifest to protect you or harm someone else. When you cast a magic spell to kill someone, it means you are making a (cold blooded) decision "I decide that this person should die." Essentially, every time you kill someone directly with magic you commit murder in the first degree.

re: the Bob debate. Bob is a spirit of knowledge bound to a skull. Bob may have the ability to do something (manifest a physical body) but would he have a reason to if the cost was high or the gain was low? At the end of the day, Bob isn't human (even though we like to treat him like one). So it may be possible for him to manifest in the Nevernever (evil Bob did) but the cost may be too high or too dire for the comparatively 'good' or 'neutral' vanilla Bob we're familiar with. An example might be that Bob could manifest a physical body by draining the life-force of another (or many) creatures. Both evil and vanilla Bob may be capable of doing it, but only evil Bob would choose to manifest under those circumstances.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
  4. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

The topic has been discussed to death in some thread, Wildfeather, not sure which.

As for Bob. Is this, perhaps, the difference between spirits and demons? Demons can form corporeal bodies in the human world. Spirits cannot?

The Sidhe are obviously exceptions to this rule.

5. kjjejones42

kjjejones42 Squib

High Score:
    The distinction is likely to be more along the lines of demons being malevolent and spirits neutral, otherwise demons wouldn't have that reputation.

The cost of a corporeal body is too high unless a spirit/demon is committed to affecting the physical world for good or ill.

6. Wildfeather

Wildfeather The Nidokaiser ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Dresden talks about demon one of the earlier books where he is selling parts of his name for information (wiki says in Fool Moon). It's not directly stated but implied, so take it with a grain of salt but I would guess they're the spiritual equivalent of hit men, or perhaps the natural accumulation of negative intent and will.

7. Varios

Varios Third Year

I just assumed it was because of the type of spirit Bob was, maybe his power is just not suited to forming a corporeal body.

8. Solpagae

Solpagae First Year

High Score:
    Is the city of Chicago, as a whole, neutral ground in the same way that McAnally's Pub is?

I'm working on a small piece and it's needling me.

Maybe I misconstrued the fact that Chicago's in the hands of a freestanding Baron of the Accords, with an active alliance, and the location of the upcoming Peace Talks summit into being neutral. But does that mean it is neutral in any official way, like Macs, or is it only neutral in the sense that a temporary ceasefire was called but there is nothing official or binding, or finally have I made it up and fixed the word /Neutral/ in my mind when it doesn't belong?

Many thanks Zeelthor

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
  9. Zeelthor

No. It is not. Ortega did offer to make it so, but I doubt he planned to follow through. Any place Mab is at would probably be considered neutral by virtue of nobody wanting to piss off Mab. ^^

As for peacetalks, yes, they will obviously all be bound to not openly attack one another. As we know, Outsiders don't honour any such deals, though. One way or another, shit will go down.

10. b0o0o

b0o0o Squib

High Score:
    Is Dresden files worth reading i like fantasy/magic stories. I have only read Dresden stories in crossovers with other stories and i liked what i read about Dresden in them. I heard that some books is skippable and not miss anything. The crossovers i have read is Awaken sleeper by: Water mage and Beyond the outer gate lies by: Gabriel blessing.

User was warned for this post.

Please remember: Dark Lord Potter is a board dedicated to reading and writing. Thus we expect everyone to use proper grammar, spelling, and capitalization.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
  11. Zeelthor

Yes they are. The first two books are more detective-focused than wizard-focused and are, even by the author's own admition, pretty weak. I'd suggest you start at book 3.

I also suggest you stop reading Gabriel Blessing. That guy sucks. ^^

Enjoy.

12. b0o0o

b0o0o Squib

High Score:
    Thanks for the fast reply, i think i will skip the first 2 books then.
    Sorry about the bad grammar my native language is swedish.

13. Zeelthor

That's no excuse. Jag=I has a capital letter ffs. How on earth have you missed that after nearly a decade of education in English? :p

Hope you enjoy the books.

14. saevanus

saevanus Third Year DLP Supporter

Was musing on Skin Games working from the premise that Nicodemus' end run seemed pretty weak with regards to Deirdre and the Gate of Blood. A lot of people had observed Nicodemus had a lot of goons if all the gate required was a ghost flipping a switch.

Sure, the Gate of Blood might require the sacrifice of a loved one, but there are some interesting parallels given what Nicodemus was after: A daughter willingly sacrifices herself for her father after undergoing a test of faith by the 'Adversary' in order to open a pagan underworld's gate and allow (some of) the most righteous Christian pieces out.

Add in the fact that resurrection is much less likely, and the sacrifice takes on a weight greater than the immateriality of physical death for Jebus. Granted it could just be neat narrative symmetry and a well deserved pwn after Nicodemus pissed off one too many major players, but this kind of epic, balanced sacrifice seems like it was/is intended to do something.

Thoughts?

Last edited: May 25, 2016
  15. Rubicon

Rubicon High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

I'm reading Dresden Files for the first time.

It looks like there are short stories that take place between the main novels - would it be better to read those chronologically or catch up on them after finishing the novels?

16. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

I read them latter. Nothing in them is needed for the meta plot but it does help you understand the characters better.

17. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

It doesn't matter, really. The side stories are pretty much entirely irrelevant to the overarching plot of the novels. In fact, there's one, maybe two mentions of the events of the side stories in the entirety of the main book series, and it's a couple of throw-away lines that don't mean much. Personally, I like to read them in chronological order, but it's more out of OCD and habit than any particular improvement to reading the series.

18. Erotic Adventures of S

Has the JB forum gone down? I'm in his site and can't spot it. I was never a member but did read it from time to time for updates.

19. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I've found it here. It looks the same, and my old login works, so I think they've just migrated them over?

20. Erotic Adventures of S

Thanks!