1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Oneshot Reach the Open Space by Tinn Tam - T - ONESHOT

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by Tinn Tam, Oct 24, 2006.

1. Tinn Tam

Tinn Tam Review Goddess Retired Staff

Title: Reach the Open Space
    Author: Tinn Tam
    Rating: T
    Genre: General
    Pairing: none
    Words: 9,987
    Published: October 24, 2006

Summary: After defeating Voldemort, Harry Potter was about to become the most adulated wizard in the History of Wizardkind. But he ruined it all. And he's damn proud of it. Mild violence.
    Link:http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3212519/1/

The final battle and its aftermaths written in Harry's point of view. A possible ending for the HP books, and a way to reconcile average!Harry and DLP!Harry. I don't think it's strikingly original, but on the whole, I don't really know what to think of it :).

Checked by Minion, March 29, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2013
  2. Yarrgh!

Yarrgh! Pirate King

Very nice, Tinn Tam, very very nice. It seems fitting, some how, almost an end that was bound to occur. Your characterization, and the emotional inflences that craft the decisions made are absolutely flawless.
    Very well done, and I hope to see more work of this caliber from you.

(Posted this on DLP as well just for kicks) :p

3. Wisdom's Mountain

Wisdom's Mountain Sixth Year

Yes, I can definately see this as a realistic ending of the books (not one JKR would ever write, but one that reconciles canon!Harry and DLP!Harry).

My favorite part :

4. Lucas13

Lucas13 Second Year

Surprisilingly good one-shot. A great characterization of Harry and a real possible outcome to the end of the "last battle" and its consequences.

5/5

5. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

Not bad. Im not usually a fan of Oneshots but that was good.

6. mcatrage

mcatrage Raptured to Hell

A more realistic end of the book story. I love the inner monologue of Harry.

4/5

7. The-Hyphenated-One

The-Hyphenated-One Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

i liked that oneshot because it is a very realistic and well thought out ending. Harry finally controls a part of his life, but nobody likes it but him. Brilliant.

8. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

I enjoyed reading this.

Like I said in my FFN review, the only thing I could find fault with is that Enterance Hall scene. The whole thing just felt... unrealistic? Detatched? I'm not sure what it was, but just something about that whole thing with the aurors, Ginny, and the rest felt... weird. I had to reread sentences more than once because something felt off.

Anyway, everything else was great. Well done over-all.

9. Mercenary

Mercenary Snake Eater

Ah a great take on the Aftermath in Harry's point of view. The nonchalant attitude about everything. Good one!

10. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I agree with syao. Good read, but something about it felt off at times.

But personally, I think, after having done what he did, I'd be a bit detached and eh about everything as well.
    4.5/5

11. huntedorange

huntedorange Seventh Year

yeah really good in my opinion, liked that way it was set out most of all i think the point of view adding alot to the story i thought. good work 4/5

12. Xenon

Xenon Professor

Wow. this story is wonderfull. The sense of ...rightness it conveys, makes it mesh well with canon. I enjoyed reading this very much, and the duel between Harry and Voldemort was written extremely well. Best combat scenes in a new fic since Quill Runner/Erised Burning's Blessed(mind you, yours were 20x more realistic due to lack of regeneration, though QR/EB's were fun to read). I also immensely enjoyed Harry's characterization.

Rating: 5/5

13. the-caitiff

the-caitiff Death Eater

This was a beautiful story. Simple, and yet twisty. I'd like to see a sequal even if it is just a one shot. Think "Where in the World is Harry Potter" but with a lot less humor.

I imagine that the written version may help swing public opinion quite a bit if it is ever published. I mean really... Trying to trap and controll a public Hero who probably has more PTSD than a platoon of Vietnam Vets, what did they expect to happen. Give him a few weeks before asking him to do things for the "public good."

14. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

Wonderful, simply wonderful. I was expecting some humor, but this is even better. Nice Job

4/5 mainly because, same as some of the people above, I got a little lost before the reporters death, and im sure something was amiss.

15. Tinn Tam

Tinn Tam Review Goddess Retired Staff

Thanks for pointing that out... I wrote all this in quite a hurry, between an exercise of thermodynamics and a drawing of the muscles whose insertions are on the linea aspera of the femur (maybe that's why I had Harry hit Voldemort in this particular area...); I re-read and edited the battle and the duel scenes once or twice, but as I lacked time, I didn't go through the second part of the story as many times as I should have. I'll try and edit it this weekend though.

I should have made it clearer that Harry isn't exactly detached. In a way, he is, but not because he's emotionally numb after what he's been through. The incident with the reporter (who doesn't die, by the way) was him getting rid of an annoyance. His magic got a little out of his control, but that's it. But from the moment he does commit murder, he has already made his choice. So that's not really detachment, but rather determination.

It's my fault, of course; I wanted to come to the end of the Entrance Hall scene and go back to Harry's monologue, and I wrote all the facts as they occurred, one after the other, without pausing to make it more coherent and more--well, built. It lacks some description of the surroundings and characters' reactions--the way I wrote it, it sounds as if they're all speaking in turn, neatly, one after the other, and everyone just stays still and stares in the meantime... *shudders*. Harry's perception of the whole scene needs to be developed, too.

I'll definitely be working on that scene this weekend. I was just impatient to post it, I guess. My apologises for the half-finished work... *hides*

Thanks for all the reviews, they made my day!

And Wisdom's Mountain: I was smirking quite nastily while writing the paragraph you quoted.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2006
  16. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

This is one of the best one-shots I've ever read. Perfect characterization, plot and writing style. The only thing missing is a sequel or even better, continuation of the story (if you can figure some interesting plot).
    5/5

17. MoPhire

MoPhire First Year DLP Supporter

The story was absolutely brilliant, more so because it was a one-shot. I really don't know what more to say except good work Tinn, hope to see more of your work.

Rating: 5/5

MoPhire

18. Jheph

Jheph Groundskeeper

Nicely done and it was somewhat a fitting end to the canon storyline.

Excellent!

19. DemonDream

DemonDream Professor

Your closet. Please clean it, I can't move.
    Excellent. I am very pleasantly surprised that you managed to write such a good story when including HBP canon. That is notoiously difficult. I would love to see more, but it is excellent, even as short as it is.

20. Lightning89

Lightning89 First Year

Wonderful. The world thinks he's crazy and he regrets nothing. It has touched something deep inside of me... This Harry is just all what I see in Harry with all his faults and his potential.

5/5