1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Oneshot Reincarnation Roulette by Silver Queen -Naruto- K+

Discussion in 'Naruto' started by Tasoli, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Tasoli

Tasoli Minister of Magic

Title:Reincarnation Roulette
    Author:Silver Queen
    Rating:K+
    Genre:Self Insert (not specified by Author)
    Library Category: Other Fandoms->Naruto
    Pairings:None
    Summary:Sometimes you get lucky. Sometimes you don't.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8774090/1/Reincarnation-Roulette

This is rather dark story (rating should be higher IMO) from the Author of Dreaming Sunshine. Like her other stroy this too is a SI, here she is born to the Uchiha family.

I don't want to spoil it since it is oneshot, But grammar wise I didn't had any problems It isn't very long (5k or so) but maneges to give you a good idea of her life in snapshots style. Give it a try.

2. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Read this. Didn't get into it as much as their longer SI story, probably because this one only tangentially deals with canon characters, but still was worth the read.

3.5/5, rounding up to 4.

3. disposablehead

disposablehead Seventh Year

Good stuff, very grim. The poetic structure is kind of irritating, but it is an effective little piece. I'd give it a 4/5

4. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Loved it. Very effective in what it wants to convey and loved the arc of the character.

5/5

5. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Just quoting myself from the Almost Recommended Thread:

4.5/5 (really hard to rate it because it's so short)

6. Moridin

Moridin Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

3.5/5 rounded up, because it's short and a bit too grim for my tastes. The writing is, as ever, technically and aesthetically fine, and the themes explored were quite interesting.

7. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    I enjoyed this as well, finding it to be one of the best self-insert stories I've read. It brought to light much of the bleakness and fridge horror of Naruto canon. The ending (which has to work for a one-shot to be successful) was excellent. 4/5

8. ViolentRed

ViolentRed Professor

I liked it. So different from how these stories usually are and very well executed.

I do partly disagree with Jarik's review though. It seems to me Meimu is actually ruthlessly succesful in her efforts. Madara never gets in contact with Obito and possibly dies without fulfilling his plans. Obito never becomes Tobi. Akatsuki defeats Hanzo and Danzo and isn't turned into Pain's twisted scheme for peace.

Thus, almost all the main antagonists but Orochimaru are taken care of. The only thing that's still truly up in the air is the Uchiha rebellion, which I could really see going either way depending on Meimu's place in it. I would actually really like to see where the rest of Meimu's life takes her.

4/5

9. Sin Saiori

Sin Saiori Death Eater

5/5

The style lends itself to the content quite well, and the downward spiral Meimu finds herself in is smoothly written.
    I think she actually gained quite a bit of control over her own life. She was born into a bad situation, forced into a bad occupation, taken in by a bad master, and finally put into a position where she could influence things. All things considered, I think she made the best of a bad setup. She outed and survived Orochimaru, planted suspicions of Danzo's behavior, headed off Akatsuki, foiled Madara/Obito, and lived to tell the tale. By normal standards, simply ensuring your own survival isn't cause for celebration, but relatively speaking she really grabbed the bull by its horns.

I'm looking forward to either more oneshots in the same vein or an expansion of this one.

10. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

@ViolentRed and Sin Saiori:

Actually you do make some good points and I'd agree with that. She did end up effecting changes quite well - especially given the worst situation she ended up in.

11. Dethklok

Dethklok Order Member

The power of Christ compels him not to tell you.
    Posted this in the Dreaming of Sunshine thread, was told this had a thread all its own...

12. cash0maker

cash0maker Third Year

It's got new chapter with new SI situated in bloody mist.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  13. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

Yeah, I read that a couple weeks back. It's not great in comparison to the first chapter, or even by itself, tbh. Not as strong and it felt more like a one-shot about Zabuza with an OC thrown in.

Which is a shame because having a next life in Mist could have been pretty interesting.

14. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    As she said in the author's notes, it is really more of a concept idea which is more or less half finished and not exactly a finished work and for what it was, I enjoyed it. It did give an interesting portrait of life in Hidden Mist and we got a few nice scenes with Zabuza. I concur that it is not as good or strong as her other works but as a concept, I think it is rather interesting and like pretty much all of her work that I have read, I would want to see more of this. I am curious to see whether or not she will continue that one at some point in time.

15. cash0maker

cash0maker Third Year

It's got a new chapter nothing interesting but, I am more exited about upcoming SI mentioned.

16. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

It was clearly incomplete and doesn't really go anywhere but I liked it more than the last one. Better focus on the protag and the more light-hearted approach was nice.

But yeah, these upcoming inserts look pretty interesting.

17. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes First Year

The first chapter, being the only truly completed one of the current 3, depicts the most reasonable SI of a western-raised individual into the bloody and viicious narutoverse, where death is most certainly not the worst that could happen.

With a disturbing poethic narration, the little snippets we get from Meimu's life end up painting an exquisite tale.

Even so the quality of the other two chapters, independtly of the reason they are as such, are utter crap. They are too short to show the potential of the changes the SI would bring, and it's obvious the idea was not completely thought through in those.

While the first chapter can easily get a 4.5, rounding down to 4 in function of absence of more interaction with canon elements, and a proper epilogue showing what would've happened to that world without a crazed Obito, the second and third chater ring the overall grade down to a depressing 2.5, rounding down due to the lack of quality of the overall story, even with such a superb idea.

18. Moridin

Moridin Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

To be fair, the author admits that Meimu was by far her most thought out SI, and the others are just barebones ideas. While I'll agree that aside from the first chapter the fic isn't really Library material, I think it does what it sets out to do quite well, which is to be a repository for random SI ideas the author has, halfbaked or less.

19. SmileOfTheKill

SmileOfTheKill Magical Amber

Just the first chapter alone makes the story basically a forced library story as it is that good. It is an example of how to SI, and the two other stories are just side things to the main one.

20. psychobob35

psychobob35 Fourth Year

Am I the only one that's noticed that all Naruto SIs seem to be female?

Not that I mind. Since Kishi can't write readable female characters it's good that fanfiction can pick up the slack.