1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Renegade Cause by Silens Cursor - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by Silens Cursor, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Garden

Garden Supreme Mugwump

I wish you sucked so I'd have an excuse to clutter up your thread.
    The only criticism I have is Antonin. Why would he live after his family died? I'd expect a throw-away line from Voldemort to the effect of promising him to revive his family or something to keep him in line. His motivations seem unsubstantial, unless I've completely forgotten your story.
    Amazing otherwise.

2. Silens Cursor

Silens Cursor The Silencer DLP Supporter

Ah, well, it might not have been entirely clear. When Antonin was in custody, he learned from a personal visit from Voldemort that his wife Regina had been killed when the Ministry tried to bring her in for questioning (her actual killer is unknown at this point). In rage, grief, and out of a thirst for revenge, he chose to fight for Voldemort to secure some shred of justice - and that's pretty much all he has to live for. But given his mental instability... well, one never really knows.

3. Portus

Portus Heir

... and he believed that?

4. Silens Cursor

Well, mental breakdown and complete loss of faith in the Ministry aside, from nearly all points of view, it does appear like the Ministry killed her, albeit slightly accidentally. It would take a hell of a lot of digging for Dolohov to find out the truth, and even with that, it would just appear like an accident (albeit with extremely subtle 'help' from You-Know-Who).

Believe me, Dolohov's story is covered in one of my omakes of Renegade Cause/I], along with several other shorts (both canonical and non-canonical) describing the side events of the story you don't see.

5. Garden

Garden Supreme Mugwump

THANKS SILENS!!!

In all seriousness, I'd love to see those omakes once the story's done. Also, your post does clear up some misconceptions regarding Dolohov. Though he seems a bit easy to fool, to be honest.

6. SilverOtter

SilverOtter Seventh Year

Harry acts to rashly at the beginning, it doesn't seem like canon-Harry would immediately rush into something like that.

7. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    ...I don't even know how to reply to the above statement.

On a sidenote however, I just recently went through and read the whole story. I have to say, it was incredibly good, and I really didn't hate Harry as much as some people spouted on about. The characterization is pretty amazing, I have no idea how you manage to keep all the different threads within it straight.

The only criticism I have, is apart from the Azkaban scene, we've barely seen any action against Voldemort. It all seems focused on his money and the Ministry etc. I'm just wondering how you are going to swing the story around to focus on Voldemort, especially as you say you are getting close to the end.

Either way, its a solid 4.5/5, rounded up to 5 from me.

8. Silens Cursor

So, funnily enough, while we don't see Voldemort directly in this chapter, I can still provide another step on the road to resolution in the chapter, now posted on PatronusCharm, DLP WbA, and fanfiction.net. As always, read, review, criticize and enjoy!

Next chapter: the Potter Vaults mystery finally revealed...

9. Silens Cursor

And for those who are not following in WbA, Chapter 40 has been updated on both fanfiction.net and PatronusCharm. As always, read, review, bitch, criticize, and enjoy!

10. Silens Cursor

So yeah, I forgot to update on ffn.net and PatronusCharm with my newest chapters, so I posted Chapter 41 today there. I'll post Chapter 42 in a couple days - hopefully I can get my momentum back.

11. Scrittore

Scrittore Groundskeeper

Imagine my surprise yesterday when I went to see the conversation about Renegade Cause after reading Chapter 40 and seeing two more chapters there.

You got this though Silens.

12. phazer11

phazer11 Third Year

Ah cool I was hoping it hadn't been abandoned like all the other good fics I've been reading that aren't completed yet seem to be. I like your work Silence thanks for the stories.

13. Silens Cursor

All right, so while I've been updating in DLP WbA, I realized I haven't been updating on fanfiction.net or PatronusCharm. So I did, keeping in mind all of the edits from WbA. As always, enjoy!

14. Silens Cursor

15. Silens Cursor

16. Blazzano

Blazzano Unspeakable

I was amused by this FFN comment for Chapter 43:

Someone at DLP compared this fic to a Michael Bay movie, which I don't agree with. But that scene right there would make Michael Bay hard. :awesome

17. Silens Cursor

Oh, sure, Bay would love something like that, but the man can't direct for shit, so even if he tried to shoot it, you wouldn't be able to tell what the hell was going on.

And speaking of confusion regarding what is going on, I have the third-last chapter of the fic now posted on PatronusCharm and fanfiction.net. Enjoy!

18. psihary

psihary Groundskeeper

... I've got a polar bear for a neighbour...
    I've resisted the urge to read the latest chapters, in favor of reading the story from the start, and I'm quite happy for my decision now.

I haven't had much free time left to read recently, but I'm making progress, albeit rather slowly. Up to chapter 24 now, and, well everything actually makes sense! :)
    All the characters, the small clues about things, they are all there, although I should say, they're much easier to see once you have read the latest characters. ;)

I had forgotten how your Harry could be a bit annoying at time, and the decisions and actions of the main characters don't seem to make much sense, the simulamancy for example, but once again the whole thing works.

5/5 and certainly not changing.

19. Silens Cursor

20. psihary

psihary Groundskeeper

... I've got a polar bear for a neighbour...
    Wow, I'm blown away! Masterfully done Silens. I seriously didn't see that coming, but as everything else it makes sense.
    Don't have much to say that it hasn't been said in WbA thread - amazing twists and turns, the story telling is engaging and is full with great OCs.

The story has to be read in one time, because the long waiting between the different updates simply didn't let us piece together the hints and clues.

While reading, I had only one problem with the story telling, and that was the missing timeline. Maybe it's just me, but most of the time I wasn't sure what day, not even what season it is or when all of the action is happening.

Again I might have missed it, but all the indicators of when anything is happening or that any time is passing were the mentioned date of Harry's trial, then that there was scheduled hearing in front of the school governors and finally the attack on Azkaban.
    There was a line or two where a character will mention that for the 2 days Harry spend in Hogwarts 16 days passed in the real world, but that didn't help the feeling that everything was happening in a single long moment.

Besides that, once again, excellent work and I'm really looking forward to the last two chapters. The sequel too ;)