1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Resonance by Halt - T - Worm

Discussion in 'Worm' started by Vira, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Vira

Vira Third Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Title: Resonance.
    Author: Halt.
    Rating: T.
    Genre: Alt!Power.
    Fandom: Worm.
    Pairings: None.
    Summary: Taylor triggers when Behemoth attacks Brockton Bay. With the city hanging on by a knife’s edge, the only thing people can do is survive and hope for a brighter future.
    Link: https://forums.sufficientvelocity.com/threads/resonance-worm-au.24807/

This fic is comfortable to go fairly AU without giving easy solutions to tough problems. Everyone’s living in camps after Behemoth destroyed most of the city and, while Eidolon stays to try to make a difference, the events aside from the premise are strictly street-level. There’s just something original about this story that makes me want to read more as so many characters and plotlines are set up and I don’t know how many will turn out.

I’m impressed on how this fic uses Danny. It keeps a nice balance of making him a semi-responsible parent while still sidelining him in a realistic manner. Taylor herself is not anything to write home about. She’s definitely not bad; she’s smart and shows flexibility regarding her powers, but her characterization doesn’t stand out. Her powers are overpowered, but by keeping Taylor street-level, it doesn’t seem to matter as much since her problems don’t have much to do with fighting. Her powers don’t create food, water, or medicine, and that’s what’s needed most.

I'm interested to see how it'll go.

4/5.

2. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

Author here, adding links for SB | FF.net | WBA

FF.net isn't the most updated, but more polished than the other version in the later chapters. SB is identical to SV. WBA has the most recent chapters that are being edited.

Not going to vote on my own story's For Review thread, for obvious reasons, but I'll take this time to share what I liked and didn't like about my story.

Pros
    -AU in the actual sense of the word. It doesn't really follow the stations of canon

-I'm particularly proud of how I wrote Danny and a lot of minor characters here, such as Kaiser, Panacea, Shadow Stalker and others.

-I've made it a point to avoid a plethora of fanon tropes, such as vulpine grins, copacetic and kiddo (seriously fuck this word)

-Technically average writing; i.e. not too many spelling/grammar errors, doesn't overuse adverbs or non-said dialogue tags, doesn't get too purple prose-y etc.

Cons
    -Taylor is meh. As an MC, she's not all that compelling in this fic. Not terrible, but
    painfully average as far as a main-viewpoint protagonist goes. She has some moments, but for the most part, is overshadowed. This I consider to be one of the biggest flaws of my story.

-A plethora of OCs. Far too many to count, and many insubstantial "filler characters". None of them get much screentime, which is the story's saving grace, but they're not fun to read about

-The pacing, I think, is too fast. On rereading it, there are many places where I should have spent more time and more words fleshing things out.

-Maybe it's because I'm the author, but the ending feels fairly predictable.