1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Restoration - by Nan00k (Watchmen)

Discussion in 'Anime, Cartoons, and Comics' started by Silens Cursor, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Silens Cursor

Silens Cursor The Silencer DLP Supporter

Title: Restoration
    Author: Nan00k
    Category: Adventure/Drama
    Ratings: M
    Pairings: NONE
    Summary: "2004. Veidt’s perfect world has begun to crumble, a need for heroes prompts a new generation of costumed adventurers, and suddenly, Rorschach realizes he isn’t quite dead. AU."

Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4908882/1/Restoration

First off, and I'm going to say this right away, it really helps to have some background into Watchmen to understand this fic (either the graphic novel or the movie, but considering as the author's running with the 'film ending' instead of the graphic novel ending for the story, both are recommended).

That being said, this fiction doesn't have the strongest start, but it gradually picks up and begins moving into a fast-paced, well-written storyline that is at least original, if anything. Basically, Rorschach wakes up in the middle of a park in a restored New York in 2004, and categorically flips out. He has no idea how he survived - he even remembers dying - and he has no idea what the fuck has happened for the last twenty years. He begins to go on a mission to track down the surviving Watchmen even as he observes the filthy underbelly of New York, covered up by Veidt's attempts to gloss over the darkness in the world peace he established.

Meanwhile, a bunch of New York high schoolers (one being the son of Nite Owl II and Silk Spectre II) have also seen the crime running rampant inside New York, and they decide to 'mask up' and follow in the footsteps of the Watchmen. This part of the plot seems a bit juvenile, up until the point when one of the girls gets her hands on Rorschach's journal - which Rorschach is also hunting.

Overall, most of the OCs are well-developed and decently characterized. The story's got seven chapters thus far (with a fairly fast update pace), and the plot is getting significantly darker. Where this fic really shines is in setting the atmosphere of New York, the attention to detail, and in the characterization of Rorschach - easily the best of said characterization that I've read since rereading the Watchmen graphic novel itself.

Overall, I'm giving this fic 4.5/5, the half-point docked for a weak and rather irritating beginning 'high-school' sequence.

2. Moloch

Moloch Groundskeeper

Bad. Ass.

Plots moves along fairly slowly; but the characterization is all spot on and Rorschach is just as awesome as ever.

3. ZeroTheDestroyer

ZeroTheDestroyer Auror

Wtf? Watchmen was so 2009.