1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Revenge of the Wizard by Darth Marrs - M - HP/SW

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Russano, Apr 18, 2015.

1. Lysianda

Lysianda Squib

High Score:
    It's fine. It isn't badly done and it is complete. Thankfully there are no harems involved and the romance isn't too overwhelming (even if it does feel a bit forced).

The most major issue I have with this is that basically everything comes off as relatively easy. Harry might lose an arm here or a fight there but you can be certain that a chapter later things will have sorted themselves out again, he'll have the appendage back and probably have kicked the imperials into the dust whilst reattaching it.

There's nothing technically wrong with this, it just feels a little bit too light-hearted given the situation and content for me to really rate it higher than about 3.5.

2. Private Jenkins

Private Jenkins Squib

High Score:
    This feels very meh, to me. It has a very interesting premise going for it and is relatively well written with miminal grammar mistakes, but it just feels... Off. It started off strong, but then it just devolved into a confusing, wtf is happening, mess. It wasn't so bad that I stopped reading it, but it was more of a time waster for me than anything else. It's not bad. But it's not good either. 2.5/5, rounded up to 3.

3. ademolix

ademolix Squib

I enjoyed this fic, the world building of Avalon while constantly under threat from the empire and the adaptive ways the wizards of Earth used their powers against the empire kept me coming back. That said, there were several points that the fic could inprove on, most notably the introduction of minor characters. There were many characters that were brought in with little character development. It feels like they were introduced just for the sole sake of pushing the story along.

4. the outlander

the outlander Muggle

High Score:
    It just dark for sake of being dark there no substance to me else 2/5.

5. Rakshae

Rakshae Squib

You have described a massive portion of Darth Marrs work. The only thing missing from this, when compared to previous works, is a healthy dose of squick factor.

6. Gene

Gene Third Year

The premise, at least what I expected the premise to be, is really quite interesting: Harry Potter as the last living wizard, taking vengeance on the galactic empire for destroying everything he cared about? That's a good starting point, and heck, introducing an unknown, vengeance obsessed Luddite (from a galactic technology perspective) to the whole situation post-ROTS is a fantastic idea for a story in general.

This strikes me as a story that, if written by a better author and set not 20 years in the future, but 200, could have resulted in something magical (ha!) Let the canon characters die off; have Harry's great-grandchildren be the ones blown up as Earth is used for raw starship-building resources. As it stands, immortality has nothing to do with the story, half the wizards are still around, and the whole damn thing feels less like a story and more like a 5th grader's "what I did over the summer" essay. Admittedly, the weirdest such essay ever written, but still.

2/5, and one of those 2 points is for the premise I thought it had. The other is for basic grammar.

7. Slindish

Slindish Squib

High Score:
    I was pretty pumped for this fic, until I realised it was by Darth Marrs. Still, I went in hopeful because the premise was interesting.

The first warning sign, for me, was Ginny's ghost telling Harry to live. The next was introduction of the HarryxLeia subplot. The final nail in the coffin for me was Yoda teaching squibs to be Jedi. I couldn't really be bothered after that. From the sounds of it, it didn't get any better. A bit of a letdown really.

1.5/5

8. Leo1980s

Leo1980s First Year

High Score:
    It got off to a promising start however it quickly went downhill. I have no idea how that ending happened but it was tacky.

2/5

9. Spennig

Spennig Squib

High Score:
    Story was a good one for when I was needing mindlessly grimdark reading to clear my fanficion notifications. The writing itself was good as has been my experiences with the author, but as has been said, there is also a whole lot of "wtf" injected. I'd stick with the 3/5 I think.

10. deathcross

deathcross Squib

High Score:
    This was a decent read even though I don't generally like the grim dark style the author seems to prefer. It was not as overwhelming in this fic as some of his others though, so it was tolerable. Overall i'd give it 3/5.

11. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Hey. You three. Yes you (below).
    Do better on your reviews.

This review could refer to damn near any story ever, as it's purely opinion and doesn't make a comment specific to the story at all. You are adding nothing to the thread.

Do better.

Again, nothing specific to the story except for a generic 'grimdark' reference. You might as well have just read the other thread comments than the story for all your comment shows.

It looks like you read the comment above yours, rephrased it, and posted it again.

Don't post empty reviews!