1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

RiverStyx's Challenge #1

Discussion in 'Challenges' started by RiverStyx, Dec 14, 2015.

1. RiverStyx

RiverStyx Squib

Challenge #1:

We all know and love the stories where Harry delves into the Dark Arts, and turns into a complete psychopath. However, as much as I love this scenario, it has been done to death. Therefore, to bring some variety into our lives, I propose an exploration into the other side of the magical arts, Light Magic. First-

Wait. I sense a disturbance in the force. My spidey-senses are tingling. The sky is darkening, angels are falling dead out of the sky, and the screech of 1000 demons are making themselves known- :fire

"But there's no such thing as Light magic, you stupid doodly-puff!"

"Please, the Light/Dark thing is so overdone. It's almost as bad as Evil!Dumblydore."

"Isn't that already in canon!"

"OMG you are such a noob! Do the human race a favor and jump off a cliff."

"i wan drapple fic plz :awesome"

Alright, alright, quiet down already. I know there's only one or two spells in canon that barely counts as Light Magic, and even then, they're quite wimpy compared to the vast, vast, vast repertoire that is the Dark Arts.

I also know that there is a huge amount of crap fanfics featuring Harry going against the super evil Light Lord Dumbledore, joining JustMisunderstood!Voldemort with sad puppy eyes, and becoming the Ultimate Gary Stu Overlord of the Multiverse. I've been through the same BS, and believe you me, I'm sick and tired of it.

This is different.

Here, there is no Evil!Dumbledore, just as there is no Wimpy!Voldemort. There is no Super!Harry, or any secret inheritance from some Ancient God-King Wizard, and there certainly isn't any magical creature awakenings/phoenix animagus crap either.
    No, here, Harry starts out as a normal boy, living with his normal parents, and going to his normal school. He isn't the Boy-Who-Lived, and he certainly knows it. He wouldn't want to be, anyways. All Harry wants is to go to school, hang out with his buddies, and live his nice, normal life at Hogwarts.

This is all well and good, up to the point where Voldemort kills both of his parents in cold blood.

Before Harry hears of this, the War wasn't fully realized to him. The war was a far away place, a different world, a different life. Oh sure, there were the occasional headlines on the Daily Prophet, but that didn't really matter to him. Before, Harry was living out his nice, normal life, with his nice, normal friends, safe in the bosom of Hogwarts.

After Harry hears of his parent's demise, it becomes an entirely different story. The news devastates him. He goes into a deep depression, and from there he wallows in wangst for months to come.

That is, until the end of Sixth Year, where the Death Eaters invade Hogwarts, and occupy it for two years.

There, Harry goes under unimaginable tortures, tortures that would make your hair turn white and your teeth curl if you were to ever hear of it.

At the end of this ordeal, Harry is a different person. No longer committed to his dreams of a normal life, Harry now only wishes for one thing and one thing only:

Revenge.

Usually, at this point in time our dear Harry goes down the same old slippery slope to the Dark Arts, and everything becomes super serious and gritty as Harry starts using darker and darker magic to fight the war.

That isn't what happens.

Here is where the story veers off:

First of all, Harry doesn't delve into the Dark Arts. He hates the mere thought of it. Instead, in order to master the art of killing Death Eaters, Harry learns of Light Magic, or the Illumine Arts to be more specific. And it isn't just a wimpy Cheering or Wand-Light charm.

With Light Magic, Harry becomes similar to a Paladin in nature, smiting Dark Wizards, and eradicating the shadowy depths that is Dark Magic.

However, there is a catch to this holy power; madness.

You heard it, just like Dark Magic, Light Magic causes the user to become mad with power. Filling the user with delusions of grandeur, the witch or wizard slowly becomes more and more insane. They grow inexplicably happy, and they begin to see everything as one big fluffy candy-land. Anything that blots this landscape of goodness is instantly eliminated. In the end, the Light user must be put down, much like a rabid dog.

The moral of the story is balance. Dark and Light Magic is the Yin and Yang of magic. Staying neutral to the allure of either side is the name of the game for most wizards, save for the unfortunate souls that become ensnared in the siren's call.

And there you have it. This is my challenge to you.

Rules:

-Starts in Sixth Year
    -Harry isn't the BWL, Neville is.
    -Lily and James are alive, but not for long
    -Death Eaters take over Hogwarts
    -Harry hates Dark Magic/Dark Wizards with a purple passion.

From here on out, the story's pretty much yours.

P.S: As this is my first challenge, it is bound to suck in some major way, so please, feel free to chew it up and spit it back up into the fire. I love crap like that.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2015