1. The second prompt is revealed! (Q2 2018)

"Breaking into Snape's office in the middle of the night was a risky move at the best of times..."

Deadline is June 18th, also known as the 22nd Anniversary of a seriously sad day—a tremendously black day for anyone.

As with before you can check out the new thread discussing scoring, rules, and other such matters in the in the Story Competitions forum.

Dismiss Notice

RL Questions that don't deserve their own thread

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Ched, May 31, 2013.

1. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign Prestige

High Score:
    @Nazgus I'm a complete noob. What do you actually use for writing a program? I know that with html and CSS you just write the code in a basic text editor and then export files to a proper format. What about if you wanted to write a program in Python let's say. Also a text editor? How do you let the thing know which programming language you're using?

2. Nazgus

Nazgus Headmaster

@ScottPress : For this purpose, programming languages can be split into two categories: interpreted and compiled. The first type (which includes Ruby, Python, etc) you just write it in a text editor (though there's editors made for coding such as Sublime2 or Atom), and the file extension (.rb, .py, etc) tells it what the language is. You also use the appropriate command to run it, so to run one of my python scripts I'd use this command in my terminal: "python name_of_script.py", and for one of my ruby scripts I'd do this: "ruby name_of_script.rb".

There's also compiled languages such as C, where you have to run a compiler on your code to generate the binary executable file which you can then execute at will.

On a very basic level, compiled languages run far faster than interpreted ones, but interpreted ones are much easier to work with for most basic tasks.

3. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign Prestige

High Score:
    Cheers, thanks for this. Neat and simple explanation.

4. BTT

BTT Death Eater

Honestly with how many programmers there are, I think a Programming Talk and/or Help thread might come in handy. Sure, #programming exists over at IRC, but it might be nice to have something more permanent. Only question is where to put it.

5. Nazgus

Nazgus Headmaster

On the IRC note, anyone have suggestions for a client to use? I've been using the embedded kiwiirc, but it's kind of annoying.

6. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Irc cloud because it's got a great mobile and desktop app and is all web based.
    --- Post automerged ---
    There is a whole sub forum dedicated to computers

Oz
  7. Nazgus

Nazgus Headmaster

IRC Cloud looks nice, but costs money, don't have a lot of that to around sadly... Anyone got any free options?

EDIT: Just had just how it works clarified to me, nvm.

Last edited: May 5, 2018
  8. Arthellion

Arthellion Unspeakable

High Score:
    Looking for a history of the years between World War I and World War II. Specifically on the causes of World War II.

Also a focus on Great Britain is preferred. Any suggestions?

9. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter

So this is just a starting point - it's not a full history nor is it official - but check out the "Useful Notes" page on TVTropes.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/WorldWarII/PreludeToWar

There's also this:
    http://worldatwar.net/timeline/18-48.html

In both cases you should probably do your own research into accuracy.

10. Majube

Majube Seventh Year

High Score:
    So, I've just gotten a new laptop and I'm stuck on which browser to choose. Mine comes with edge but eh, not liking it. I prefer chrome's general look but I don't really want chrome. So, I'm thinking either go with Brave, this new chromium browser that looks good to me (mainly 'cause of the inbuilt ad-blocker stuff) or stick with tried an true firefox.

I know there's lots of tech people on here so I thought I'd ask for input, quick question though so I didn't think I'd put up a thread on the computer forum besides the fact that I don't know the specs yet since it's a gift.

11. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Maybe give Vivaldi a whirl.

Or FF. Brave has always made me wary when I look at it.

12. Agent One

Agent One Slug Club Member DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Any particular reason you don't want to get Chrome?

I've never really thought about getting Chromium on anything other than Linux. It just doesn't mesh as well. Plus, last I heard, there wasn't a stable release for Chromium on Windows.

Firefox is probably the way to go if you don't want Chrome. If however, you're on a Mac, I've heard that Safari performs quite well on there.

13. Genghiz Khan

Genghiz Khan Unspeakable

Use Firefox. I say this having experience with Chrome, FF and Safari. I think FF in its current iteration outperforms every other browser (on the Mac, at least) while being at least as configurable as Chrome, if not more. I'm also more of an online privacy nut than most, so there is a slight ideological bent towards recommending FF. However, I think this recommendation stands based on performance alone as well currently.

If battery life is more of a deciding factor for you, then I'd rethink my recommendation, though. I spend a lot of time near a power outlet and my laptop's battery is old enough that I don't give two shits about it anymore. Last I heard Chrome has made great strides in reducing battery consumption, even though it remains a RAM hog. If you really really require battery life, I'd stick to Edge. It seems to have, well, an edge in that department.