1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Rom-Com Book Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by FriedIce, Dec 23, 2016.

1. FriedIce

FriedIce Seventh Year

I just finished watching You're the Worst (which is awesome, if you haven't watched it yet what are you waiting for?) and I'm finding myself with a weird craving for Rom-Com books. I don't just want any Rom-Coms though, I'm after good shit. Therefore, because I don't have the patience to read through forty different books searching for one that isn't crap I'm asking for recommendations.

To give a brief insight into my taste things I generally enjoy are:

- Good quality writing - I don't want no 'panicked frenzy of his bulbous salutation extenuating his excitement'

- Realistic characters - I like characters to be at least two dimensional, though I prefer three

- Good quality plotting - you know, the normal stuff - decent foreshadowing, actions have consequences, etc. Basically I don't want 'I forgot I already killed that character off so I resurrected him to kill him again'

- Interesting storylines - anything different from 'boy meets girl, fall in love, have a fight, break up, get back together, credits roll' is nice

- I'm not a huge prude so I don't mind sex scenes, large amounts of swearing or whatever. Hell, I'll even read outright erotica as long as the writing, characters and plot are up to speck

- I'm always up for a good subversion of the standard cliches and structures, it's one of the things I liked most about You're the Worst

- Nothing absurdly dark - I don't mind some darkness where it creates drama/conflict but if you guys recommend me a novel where some girl is kidnapped, repeatedly raped and slowly falls in love with her rapist we're going to have issues.

2. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

I've not read them but my sister devoured the 'Outlander' series. There's a good TV show of it on Netflix that's also worth checking out.

Basically. Claire Fraiser is a Combat Nurse from WW2, goes to Scotland to reconnect with her husband who's been off fighting the last few years. Ends up back in time to the 1700s and the beginning to the Jacobite Rebellion. She catches on soon enough and claims to be a English widow. Shenannigans happen, ends up being forced to marry a hot Scottish clansman since her 20th century nurse skills are really valuable and they don't want to hand her over to the semi-occupying British. So now she's got two husbands in two different time periods and happens to know that things are about to go majorly sideways for Scottish independence and the clansman's way of life when the rebellion gets brutally crushed in a couple of years.

Anyway it's supposed to be meticulously researched in terms of Scottish Highland culture and history a combines a mad mix of genre's romance/time travel/historical fiction/ fantasy/ action etc etc. The TV show is well worth a watch in anycase, its beautifully shot.