1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Ron: Master Strategist?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rahkesh Asmodaeus, Apr 21, 2005.

?

Do you think that Ron is a master strategist because he plays chess?

1. Hell no

100.0%
  2. Definitely

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

I've been going through a lot of stories in which Ron is some sort of mastermind at war strategy, just because he plays chess. I don't agree with this. So I was wondering what everyone else thought.

2. Marguerida

Marguerida Second Year

Chess has a lot to do with strategy. I believe Ron is a very good strategist

3. Zevrillion

Zevrillion Founder Retired Staff

I don’t believe that if you are good in chess that you are also good in war strategies. Chess is just logic and probability. In war you have to take in count of emotions and so much more. In war complexity is a bad thing. Usually the simplest plans are the best.

4. Marguerida

Marguerida Second Year

If chess is only logic, than why am I so bad at it? I'm very good at logic, but loose allways in chess.

5. Zevrillion

Sorry. That wasn’t really what I meant. Sometimes I only write down half of my thoughts and a lot is left out and nobody understands what I mean. What I really meant was the logic e.g. Spook in star trek uses if you know what I mean.

6. Marguerida

Marguerida Second Year

And you are really sure that Mr. Spock is not a strategist, too? I haven't seen many Episodes.

And Logic is Logic.

a + b = b + a

7. Levi

Levi Sent Back to India

Chess and War Strategy are not related. Hell, chess is not even in the same zip code as War Strategy.

I have to agree with Zevvy here. In chess, you can easily sacrifice 15 pieces for the sake of one dumbass one-place-shifter without thinking twice. In a war, millions of lives are at stake. You don't have a choice of sacrificing here. Its WIN or DIE. You lose, you are dead meat. No Shit. Chess is all about sacrificing pawns for victory. War is like winning with minimum loses. You cannot consider people to be cannon fodder.

Chess and War are like diametrically opposite things. You lose chess, who cares; You lose a war, you may not even be alive to care. And so, I think that Ron, being good at chess, is the last person on the planet I'd go to for taking war counselling.

Did you hear if DONALD H. RUMSFELD went to Gary Kasparov, Vishwanathan Anand or Hikaru Nakamura to discuss the Iraq war strategies? If no, you know the answer to the question asked.

8. Levi

Levi Sent Back to India

There are two statements I'd like to make »»»
    (1) 2 + 2 = 5 for extremely large values of 2.
    (2) 2 is not equal to 3 - not even for large values of 2.

Choose the appropriate one.

9. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Hmm...I agree with Zevrillion.

Just because you're good at chess, doesn't mean that you're good at strategy. Zev's right, you have to account for a lot more. Like cowardice, the enemy spoiling your plans somehow, etc. I consider myself a good player at chess. Does that mean that I rank up there with Ulysses S Grant? Or John Pershing? Don't think so. Those guys were the best at what they did.

P.S. If chess masters really were good at strategy, don't you think that all the wars would be worse, or better(depending on what type of player you are). I mean, in chess, you have to freely give up some of your pieces to win. In war, I'm guessing that that's the case sometimes. But when I play chess, most of my pieces are gone by the end. Maybe only 3 or 4 pieces left out of sixteen. That means I lose 3/4 of my pieces every game. If a country lost that many men every time they fought a war...let's just say that our population wouldn't be as high.

10. Marguerida

Marguerida Second Year

I don't know if I'm able to explain what I meen. It's even hard in German.

Of course not all good chess players are good at WAR strategy. But chess IS a war game. You can't translate it 1:1.

The most important point is:

In chess you have to think of all possibilities and plan far into the future. This is a skill you NEED to be a strategist.

11. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Ill give chess is a game of strategy and logic.. but war is much more complex... and Ron has the emotional range of a teaspoon... he'd end up killing everyone... in my opinion anyway

12. Levi

Levi Sent Back to India

Isn't a teaspoon too big for him?

13. Marguerida

Marguerida Second Year

Give the boy some credit. He is not so bad.

14. Levi

Levi Sent Back to India

Oh, don't be afraid to say that you like Ron. Some girls I know even like Voldy (the real deal, no the one on the forum). 'He'd look cute, won't he?' is their typical response when someone mentions the name. IMO, Ron's lots better.

15. Zevrillion

I would also like to add that in chess you know what is going on all the time. You can see all the players and know exactly what a queen can and can’t do. We are humans. Just because someone has the rank off a lieutenant doesn’t mean he can do the same thing as another lieutenant can.

In war you are happy if you know at least half of what is really going on. There is just too much to take in count. Where are the enemy forces? How strong are they? Weapons, food and moral.

I don’t think there are any good war strategists. They are just ordinary men, fumbling in darkness and make lucky bets. Sometimes they guess right and sometimes they don’t.

Unlike chess that starts with equally strong forces, the one starting the war is always military stronger then the attacked one. I don’t understand why people try to resemble chess with a real war. One thing I learned when I did my military service was that you never attack a stronghold if you aren’t three times stronger than the defenders. It would be suicide if you did or the losses would be too great. It’s ok to do that in chess but you don’t do that in real life. At least not if you have any moral.

16. Levi

Levi Sent Back to India

Don't forget that in Chess, both sides are equally matched in the beginning. No difference at all, except color of course. You cannot add an ally. In a real war, you may be stronger than your enemy till a certain point. But if reinforcements arrive or your enemy gains an ally, you gotta put your tail in your feet and run if you wanna live.

17. Marguerida

Marguerida Second Year

Ever heard what the use of models is? They represent the real life but without the complex things of life.

This is what chess is to me. A model for war.

18. Zevrillion

Yes I can agree to that but that wasn’t what the topic was about. I was about if you are a good chess player that also makes you a good war strategise.

But I guess it all come down to if we like chess or not. I personally get bored after five minutes and start a collective suicide mission. I do feel sorry for my pawns. They always meet the same end.

19. Levi

Levi Sent Back to India

LOL! Same goes for me when I am not in the mood to think. Then, I'd really hate to play wizard chess. All my pieces would attack me instead.

20. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

lol, I might sound a little nerdy here, but I love chess. It's fun to just sit down and play a game with family or friends. Not that I would ever think of joining a chess club, however.

Eh, I like Ron. He's just misunderstood. I'm not gonna type a full response here, since that's not the topic at hand, but you can find it on my profile page at ff.net(jolly rancher)

I would LOVE to play wizards chess. That game seems so fun.

Not open for further replies.