1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Ron: Master Strategist?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rahkesh Asmodaeus, Apr 21, 2005.

?

Do you think that Ron is a master strategist because he plays chess?

1. Hell no

100.0%
  2. Definitely

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

I start with $8000 each game :p

2. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Aye starting with the begginners cash and no property takes forever. I dole out double the cash, and give everyone 1 randomly selected property

3. Marguerida

Marguerida Second Year

We had 2 different ways to play: Start with nothing or Start with all the money. Both have different additional rules. (You must pay more when you start with all the money)

4. nightangel960

nightangel960 Fifth Year

he's good but he's not as good as he's being potrayed in fanfics

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

well monolpoly kicks ass, though kind of weird talking about it in the topic about ron being a strategist or not.

IF you want to play monopoly go here www.games.com, good site for all those who like to play the game, plus its free.

6. nightangel960

nightangel960 Fifth Year

good game but I prefer sorry I have so much fun in that game

7. ghst.san

ghst.san Sixth Year

I think that chess is related to war strategy. Sure war strategy is a lot more complex and difficult but in the basics its about the same thing.
    However i dont think Run would make a good strategist because i think that he is just plain stupid :wink: (Yes i hate Ron ^^)

8. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

yep, he has too many knee jerk reactions/impulsive to be able to plan anything, big difference between moving a pawn that cab only go one way, and a war where thousands of ppl are acting unpredictably

9. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

I play chess. I used to go to tournaments and shit. I am telling you, it is a very unique game tghat has absolutely no bearing on anything practical or on anything else. It is very limited in its scope.

10. Vecna

Vecna Fourth Year

There no way being good a chess=being good at war thats the stupidiest logic ive ever heard, if that was true they would take the best chess players for generals. If your saying hes good because chess is a model for war, theres also alot better "model for war" games out there.

11. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Battle-ships? lol!

12. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

TWISTER!!

I mean it does teach how to be open-minded and look for unusual openings. It also teaches to take ANY opportunity that is offered to you. Plus it works on teamwork and mutual support.

TWISTER!! THE TRAINING GROUNDS FOR MILITARY GENIUS!!!

13. IndoGhost

IndoGhost Dark Lord

laser tag!!

14. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

I don't buy Ron as a good war strategist. In fact I don't buy him as a Master Chess player either. Playing Chess takes logic, cunning, probability, no rash decisions, and last of all RATIONAL thought. Ron sadly possesses none of these qualities. So perhaps Ron isn't good at Chess, Harry just REALLY sucks at it.

Ron would make a horrible war strategist because he would let his opposing general dictate how the war would happen. His forces would dwindle away to nothing then he would get his ass beat in one last desperate battle.

So say's Giovanni: Player of Chess since birth, Player of Age of Empires and WarCraft since they came out, God of Gaming, Reader of The Prince(Machiavelli), Reader of The Art of War (Sun Tzu), and Last, But Not Least, Hungover prick who was up till 2am last night playing Chess against his computer while having 3 differant convo's on AIM.

Actually it's probably why I hate Ron's character so much... Because JKR made him good at Chess, but to stupid to actually know how to play it.

15. IndoGhost

IndoGhost Dark Lord

The Prince and The art of war...good books...did you read dantes inferno?
    and i hate ron just cause he's...ron (there was no other way to discribe him)

16. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

YOu ever play chess at Yahoo? They have a great program. Its games.yahoo.com

But, Ron, yeah total moron. I mean absolute bastard. So umm... :awkward silence: I guess I'll see you around. I mean, I told some friends I would meet them at mall. So, you know, I mean, I really should be going. I'll call later or something, okay? Yeah, buh-bye

17. Vecna

Vecna Fourth Year

Has anyone here ever played Knightmare Chess, now that is some fun insane chess

18. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

Yea actually I have stumbled through Dante's Inferno... Or at least the English translation of it. Currently I am trying to get my Itallian in good enough shape so that I can try to read it in it's original language.

Have you read Candide by Voltaire?

As for the Chess, I don't like online to much because so many people just resign the second they think they wont win. I just finished giving my computer the ass kicking of a lifetime though :) The Mac Chess program is good, but I am better.

19. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

I like Voltage too :tries to look sophisticated and distinguished: This wine looks very....er...seasoned :holds it up to light and swirls wine, lots spills out:

Delicious :smacks lips like he's savoring it, in reality has no clue what he is doing but is deathly terrified of everyone discovering this: YUMMY wine

20. Zevrillion

Zevrillion Founder Retired Staff

I think I have seen a theatre version of Candide. It was by Voltaire anyway.

Not open for further replies.