1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Rosario + Vampire Fics

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Lion, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Lion

Lion Denarii Host DLP Supporter

After reading He Who Fights Monsters again I'm feeling some good Rosario Vampire fics. So any R+V fic that doesn't feature a self insert harem or something equally stupid.

2. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Nothing quite beats that one, it's fucking epic.

Winter Warlock is a pretty interesting read, though it has some OCs.

Here In My Arms is a 300k monster, and might even be something people like. It does have surprising depth, especially later on.

Stranger in a Strange World Tsukune is some kinda alien lizard with psychic powers. Well written, iirc, but the ending was pretty meh for me. Complete, though!

3. Tavar

Tavar Guest

There are very, very few good R+V fanfictions. The best is He Who Fights Monsters, but Here in My Arms is also good (as mentioned above). YMMV, it's a harem story that would really be above average at best in any other fandom. However, one other that I liked was Devil of the Desert by Artful Lounger. A warning, it is not and will never be completed. The author said so. A shame, really, because I felt it would have been a really good story.

4. DrSarcasm

DrSarcasm Headmaster

There is also the Ranma Xover Big Human on Campus. It takes Ranma from the manga and deposits him in Yokai Academy alongside Tsukune without overshadowing the main cast or becoming a Marty Stu. Lots of cameos, shout outs and a few OCs--but done well. Haven't seen/read Ranma 1/2? Just imagine a shonen martial artist with implausible forms of kung-fu and plenty of previous experience with magical creatures and especially being the center of many love interests and you've got Ranma Saotome.

5. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

+1 on Big Human on Campus. It's a well done comedy (in comparison to He Who Fights Monsters). But yeah, very entertaining.

6. oakes

oakes Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Here In My Arms, while tiring in some places, is one of the best stories there is.

7. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

8. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Here In My Arms - Incredibly boring. Nothing happens in the first half of chapter 1; it's just exposition. I read up to chapter 4. Still boring. Even the melodrama is boring. Some of the scenes where Tsukune drank the girls' blood were titillating, but that wasn't enough to keep me reading.

Winter Warlock - A workable premise which is destroyed by horrific writing.

An actual paragraph from Winter Warlock. Incidentally, the last paragraph I read.

Stranger in a Strange World - I read the entire fic and I've got mixed feelings about it. The plot is simplistic. Tsukune is always right and lectures the girls on fitting in, friendship, humanity, etc. I almost stopped reading half way through, but I wanted to keep reading to the end to see how it turned out. This had the potential to be much better than it was, and a few of the plot points could have developed a lot more than they were, but overall it was a decent read. 3/5

MeatBomb, the author of Stranger, includes a sneak peak of a R+V fic that he's working on at the end of chapter 21. Tsukune infiltrating Youkai Academy as a vengeance-seeking monster killer sounds very intriguing.

9. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

He Who Fucks Monsters is still the best. The others were a decent waste of time. :\

10. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

I haven't read the other ones, so nothing on those, but Here In My Arms can be accurately described, in its entirety, by that paragraph. Nothing really happens. It's a bunch of melodrama for the sake of melodrama, and some occasional moments when it appears like something is going to happen, only for the status quo to be sloppily restored not much later. I remember vaguely liking it the first time I read it, but going through it again, it's really not very good at all.

That said, I will say that the author does a decent job with character interaction. There's some issues with the base concepts they use, but the execution is usually pretty solid. Now if only those interactions actually led to anything happening...