1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Ruin by Master Slytherin

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Ragon, Jul 13, 2008.

1. The Deadman

The Deadman Slug Club Member DLP Supporter

Great story. It has good grammar, an interesting plot line, and it looks like its going to head in a pairing I've never read about before. 5/5.

@Philly: Awesome avatar and banner. May Heath Ledger live forever in eternal glory.

2. Cy Block

Cy Block Second Year

I once heard somewhere that England is held together by a shared love of drinking and of the English football team. Not being from there I can’t be sure that this is true, but it rings true. The English (together with the rest of Britain) invented and follow more games than one might consider healthy, but there is no doubt that football is by far the most popular. Cricket and rugby might be more posh, but England’s biggest stadium is the home of their national team. If the story was about Justin Finch-Fletchley then yes, you could make a reasonable argument that he’d be more likely to watch something else, Harry however is decidedly plebeian in his origins and upbringing.

I might be wrong, obviously. If there are any limeys around, particularly posh ones, they will surely be able to point out any flaws in my reasoning.

3. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It is true, all British males love football. Apart from me, that is. There's just something about watching other people play sport that I find both very dull and rather odd. Surely it's far more fun to play for yourself?

/me shrugs.

Also, I lol'd at "the update rate isn't bad". You don't get much better than every 2 days.

4. Lincos

Lincos Professor DLP Supporter

I don't know if I could read a Post-DH fic, I mean Harry was such a weak faggot by the end of it.

5. Skeletaure

High Score:
    This is a couple years post-DH, not straight after, which means Auror!Harry.

6. Lincos

Lincos Professor DLP Supporter

Yeah I started reading it.... but got bored.

Meh, not going to rate it though. There was nothing bad about it I just got bored with it.

7. Philly Homer

Philly Homer What you call elephant cum I call mouthwash

It got updated, now I happen to agree with Taure about my earlier comment.

Anyway the chapter was good, we get a glimpse into how the Death Eaters scare/blackmail people into joining them, and it makes them look like a competent force, a feat few fics manage to do. I liked how Harry's plan completely fell apart at the end when Lucius came to visit Zonko's, and even the part he thought he was successful at was later foiled. The last line was pretty nice, with what I'm assuming are the deaths of
    Molly Weasley's brothers, the earlier twins since I can't remember their names.

@ The Deadman - Thanks for the compliment, but I like the new sig, which is underneath the old one a little more.

8. Dirk Diggory

Dirk Diggory Seventh Year

Stories where nothing goes right for the protagonist are even more annoying than stories where everything does. I'll give it a little more time, but I generally reach the end of every chapter annoyed at the latest fail.

9. japanese_jew

japanese_jew High Inquisitor

Don't feel bad, Taure is cheating. :D

Dirk: The story is called Ruin. 'Nuff said.

10. Rin

Rin Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter

Whilst I agree with Dirk, insofar as constant fail can be annoying, I don't see it as such. I also don't think that "Ruin" is anywhere near to do with Harry failing consantly. It seems much more subtle than that.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2008
  11. Illution

Illution Seventh Year

Nice Harry/Lily interaction in this chapter.

12. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

I couldnt finish this latest chapter.

13. Skeletaure

High Score:
    Just thought I'd say that this story is now complete, with the sequel in progress. He's not going to post the sequel 'til he's finished though, and then all at once.

14. Alexx

Alexx Card Captored and buttsecksed

Ruin is pretty awesome. It does everything Harry going to AU should. This Harry is your standard canon Auror Harry but he is a competent. Harry's interactions with the Order and the Death Eaters are well done. And the action scenes are pretty good. Sadly the fic ends in a cliffhangher and sequel was never written. It also had set up for the Harry/Andromeda pairing which would have been awesome as Andromeda was awesome in this fic.

5/5

Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
  15. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Fantastic. I read it all in the last few hours, and it's short, concise, and quite possibly one of the best Alternate Universe fics in the fandom. Having finished it, I'm extremely disappointed that there is no plan to write a second book considering the multitude of possibilities at the author's disposal. Master Slytherin is a very talented writer and deserves more plaudits for this fic.

Undoubtedly 5/5.

16. Eagle

Eagle Temporarily Banhammered

Absolutely brilliant. Best AU fic I've read. The biggest point of this fic is its so original and breaks free from all the cliches. Add to that the exceptional writing of Master Slytherin its an easy 5/5 and one of the best HP fics ever written. Too bad its abandoned. Would have loved to read the sequels.

17. warner

warner Disappeared

High Score:
    Darn, we didn't get to see the cliffie resolved. Loved it . Very, very compelling stuff! It was of very high quality. I love this remix of events, and how Harry's presence causes a butterfly effect of changes in the early 1980s.

5/5

18. Severus

Severus Sent Back to India

High Score:
    Good story, and I like the premise. THe author went gone a post-DH starting point, which is refreshing after so many post-HBP and -OotP fics around. I had suspected that Harry would be paired with Andromeda after the author quashed Harry/Lily rumors, but now I think Narcissa might be the love interest in the end.

Anyway, I liked it very much, and read it in one evening! 5/5.