1. The second prompt is revealed! (Q2 2018)

"Breaking into Snape's office in the middle of the night was a risky move at the best of times..."

Deadline is June 18th, also known as the 22nd Anniversary of a seriously sad day—a tremendously black day for anyone.

As with before you can check out the new thread discussing scoring, rules, and other such matters in the in the Story Competitions forum.

Dismiss Notice

"RWBY" fanfiction

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Nemrut, Oct 16, 2014.

1. Ferdiad

Ferdiad Unspeakable

Pretty arbitrary reason to cut yourself off from some good fics.

2. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. DLP Gold Supporter

Not really? I've seen some people do it out of principle (e.g. Making money off of fanfiction is contentious and potentially threatens how far authors will tolerate fanfiction as a whole.). As far as reasons go, there are plenty more arbitrary lines to draw (i will only read harry centric fics etc.)

3. nevu

nevu First Year

I can see the argument for some kinds of fanfiction about patreon, but I think RWBY fanfic has a wider berth than some other fandoms. RWBY wouldn't have been possible without the similar sort of art funding, because RoosterTeeth has its basis in RedVsBlue, a fan project about Halo. Generally speaking people making commissioned fan art is a legal gray area, but most content makers are happy as it helps draw in new fans and pleases their current ones. In the case of RWBY, I cannot see roosterteeth taking action against anyone with a patreon due to that.

There are cases where people using a patreon bothers me, but that's for fandoms where I'm pretty sure the author would definitely not be OK with it. There are a few authors that dislike fanfiction of their art in general and their wishes are by and large respected by the various fan sites (ff.net has a list of the authors you can't write fanfiction for on their site. It's a pretty... random list).