1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

"RWBY" fanfiction

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Nemrut, Oct 16, 2014.

1. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

Agreed. Today has been an exercise in frustration. For a show with essentially flat characters (mostly not a in bad way), I've found it incredibly surprising how many of these stories just mishandle the protagonists.

I mean, everything you need to know about Ruby is summed up in 20 seconds right here. How hard is that duality to capture?

2. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

As with all other aspects of fanfiction, it's obviously up to the good people of DLP to pick up the slack and provide the truly epic fanfics.

So... Get on that! :)

3. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Does anyone else find fics that makes faunus more into animals annoying? For example one of the more popular fics in FF.net has Blake going into heat and needing attention...

I just irks me that the series seems to be going the "faunus are just humans with a little bit extra" route and the FF writers instead go the other way and make the characters into more like animals.

4. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Haha yeah, read that one. Another common one is comedy/romance scenes where Yang trolls Blake into following laser pointers around the place or having Blake lose control over tuna/catnip.

On one hand its kind of cute. On the other hand, it's also incredibly racist (within that world) and given Blake's history, probably something she'd find very offensive. Like, the whole view that Faunus are just animals is pretty much what caused all their issues in the first place.

5. theronin

theronin Order Member

http://youtu.be/i7wkw3yEbvQ?t=2m26s

Just sayin...

6. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Oh yeah, completely forgot that was canon. roflmao, was thinking it was a fandom thing. Hahaha.

7. OneirosTheWriter

OneirosTheWriter Second Year

It's a strange one and I have conflicting feelings about it. On the one hand, it seems like an odd lapse to have the depth of the animal fusion confine itself purely to cosmetic changes. And in fact, we know that it isn't just cosmetic because of their high-quality night-vision. On the other hand, it seems like really dangerous territory to push into that can really screw with the process of creating characters that are not stereotypes. I mean, one of the best things about Blake is how she subverts so many cat girl tropes.

I suppose that inevitably it becomes a matter of how well it is handled. I'd argue that Blake going into heat probably isn't handling it very well... A more gentle hand on the tiller is required.

Newcomb

"Let's kill it!"

Oh, Ruby...

8. Zeelthor

I kinda disliked it too until I read that xhestrin fic. The laser pointer scene is hilarious.

9. OneirosTheWriter

Yeah, and it by and large works very well. It brings you into a place where you want to excuse the silliness. Aura is great, I mean if it lets everyone hammer on each other for epic fight scenes, dust themselves off and then come back the next day, then I am all for that.

The flaws in the show tend to come about because I think the writers themselves haven't fully worked out the ramifications for society of something like that. There are some odd-ball inconsistencies here and there (I don't mind bending physics around backwards, but I do like people to be consistent to their own physics bending!).

It does make writing for RWBY its own special challenge, because you have to capture some of that larger-than-life feel to your action scenes or else you start losing some of the suspension of disbelief the series relies on. And if you want to stay away from action scenes, well, the world building is problematic. Well, the worldbuilding to the limited extent it has been revealed is problematic.

I still think its near inexcusable they haven't been able to convey in at least some manner the names of the Atlas and Vacuo academies, given their students are at Beacon currently.

10. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    The author of Soulbound has actually a lot of stories that are worth reading and is probably the best author in the fandom at the moment, even if I enjoyed Four Deadly Secrets and the Art of Making Enemies more.

Mozco, the author of Uninvited Guests and Chaos Theory has a few one-shots, that are either humour stories or some weird AU where the characters are sort of mythological monsters/beasts but still worth a read.
    Newcomb : I think the name for the four girls pairing is pollination xD

The ship names in RWBY are surprisingly endearing. Sure, a bit dumb, but that's true to all shipping names, and RWBY ones are really better than most. RWBY ones are fun as well. Nuts and Bolts for Penny and Ruby, for example. That's just adorable.

On the Faunus thing, yeah, am mostly with Oneiros on this. It seems a waste to just make them people with mostly a few animal parts but it is also insensitive and problematic to reduce them to basically big animals with no self-control in certain matters.

The canon scene with the laser pointer, while funny, could be explained away with Blake being super tired and mentally stressed, so that she simply followed it, but really, I would do the same with it that I do basically with the food fight: enjoy but ignore it.

So, while it can be admittedly cute when a reasonably solid writer uses this in non-serious shipping fics, I think that Blake folding like a paper crane whenever someone scratches her ears and she starts purring is not exactly a good portrayal of her character. Or that she is easily baited with tuna. It really has no place in a more serious story.

11. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

Does mine count?

I'm fine with the laser scene, tbh, because if you watch Blake face through the whole thing, you can sort of watch her desire to murder the source rising. Stuff like scratching her ears or baiting her with tuna? Yeah, that's definitely stupid.

I do agree that the Faunus having only cosmetic or mostly cosmetic changes is...dumb, though. I actually talked extensively about this before (concerning Zodiac), so I'll quote myself.

So yeah, I feel like there should be more to the Faunus thing, as it doesn't make sense otherwise and is just..well, what's the point?

12. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

Been reading Zodiac, and I can feel myself disliking the fic more and more, until I finally see why. I hate Jaune, this Jaune, he is pathetically weak, completely useless, but worse of all, he has ridiculous bouts of arrogance and refuses to improve or think. I ended up reading about an useless excuse for a protagonist. Nothing redeems him as either interesting or likeable, he is just stupid and pathetic.

The writing isn't bad, while there are a few grammar mistakes here and there, and I really liked how he wrote Ruby, plus Nora and Blake were pretty good too. Pyrrha is more difficult. Making her a Tiger and Yang a dragon was awesome though.

13. OneirosTheWriter

And Four Deadly Secrets makes it into the library, woohoo! Thanks for the kind words, Erandil

14. Sn0rkack

Sn0rkack Professor

Just started watching this and finished the first part. Are volumes 1 and 2 on Netflix the only seasons available? I also read somewhere that the creator is dead...so what are the future plans for this?

15. Cyclops

Cyclops Unspeakable

According to an article I read, they still plan on making volume 3.

16. Cruentus

Cruentus Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

From what I've seen, the rest of RT claim that they have a pretty good idea where Monty was going with the story and so they're going to try and continue it. Whether or not they can pull it off will have to wait till the 3rd season is released. As is, Ren will either stop talking, die, get a new voice actor, or be put on a bus. I also worry about the fight scenes. Monty does some of the best fight scenes I've ever seen and with him gone now I worry we'll never see anything that awesome again.

17. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

Valid concerns. I doubt they'll kill off Ren or put him on a bus; to be honest, he didn't talk much, and his voice wasn't very distinctive in the first place.

Could see it as an opportunity to further develop the story, I suppose. RWBY has life and creativity and verve, but the nuts and bolts storytelling is pretty abysmal. It's good enough that you don't notice how bad it is in the moment, which is nice, but it's bad enough that if you sit down to look at the mechanics of it - like, say examining every plot point from every character's POV, including the villains, and seeing if characters' actions still make sense - the seams start to show rather quickly.

18. OneirosTheWriter

There has been a lot of debate regarding Ren, but I honestly think they'll just bite the bullet and find a new voice actor to do his part time roles. No doubt that Monty had a niche for Ren going forward and I'll imagine they'll want to persist with it.

Does add a certain poignancy to Jaune and Ren not being able to go to their village mission, as I recall hearing that it had been meant to happen in Vol 2 but they ran out of time. And then, well...

=

Damn, I fly out for Melbourne in a couple days, had been hoping to have Ch 12 finished, but it doesn't look likely at this stage.

19. Zeelthor

I was wondering... How do you prefer writing/reading the narrative in RWBY fics? First or third person? Several points of views or one? If so, whose?

20. OneirosTheWriter

Well, I tend not to like writing first person, feels altogether constricting.

More specifically, given the team dynamic that is the underpinning of canon RWBY, I think first-person has too many drawbacks for most fics.

And would you look at that, thumbs up button...

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015