1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

RWBY Volume 4

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Pure Infinity, Oct 31, 2016.

1. Pure Infinity

Pure Infinity High Inquisitor

So, the first episode of Volume 4 has been released. It seems pretty good so far. The animation is looking better than V3, and they're introducing a lot more characters. Tyrian feels incredibly cheesy, but not unbearably so.

I like how they dealt with Ruby and company's reactions to Pyrrha's death. Obviously she's on their minds, but there isn't an overwhelming amount of angst.

Overall, a solid start, and I'm forward to more. Thoughts so far?

2. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

I really disliked a lot of the plot of the last season, not helped by the fact that its limited screen-time does in my eyes not really lend itself to this "epic" quests and so I no longer am that enthused when it comes to RWBY. The first episode was solid and well executed - though Ruby felt a bit weak - but the whole "evil" council scene was so over the top and cliched that it was cringe-worthy in my opinion...

3. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

The second episode is out on the RT site as well. Weiss's scenes provided a plot hook or two but didn't significantly move anything forward.

Animation is significantly better now that they've moved to a real animation tool. Definitely nice to see the show move off of its roots - remember the black shadows of volume 1? It seems like they're focusing on character animation over battle scenes - it's an interesting choice.

4. KaiDASH

KaiDASH Auror DLP Supporter

The animation and character modelling looks amazing.

Less enthused by some of their design choices, especially with Ruby.

Also unimpressed by the fact were're 2 episodes in and literally nothing has happened.

5. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I was going to say, I'm pretty sure we're at episode 2.

6. Pure Infinity

I think they've decided to focus a lot more on character interactions, rather than speeding through the plot. That's actually something I like. One of the big problems I had with the last volume is that Ruby and Pyrrha had never even had a scene alone together, so Ruby being upset about it felt hollow. I also didn't really give enough of a shit about Pyrrha as a character to feel bad about her dying in the first place.

So I actually like that they've decided to take their time. I haven't exactly been bored so far, so there's that.

7. Cyclops

Cyclops Unspeakable

I've only seen the first episode of vol. 4, but I like it so far. The first half of the episode with our Legion of Doom was easily the best part of the episode in my opinion. Getting our first real look at Salem as well as new bad guys and Cinder's place in the group was great. I'd like to see more of that group.

The second half of the episode on the other hand wasn't quite as good. At the end of vol 3, Ruby going off with Jaune, Ren, and Nora was the plot thread that didn't interest me at all. I'm just not invested in that combination of characters. It doesn't help that I'm one of the few people in the fandom not fawning over Jaune's character.

The fight with the Grimm was kind of boring and felt like it went on forever. They could have easily spent a few minutes less on that fight and gave us more time with Weiss or a glimpse of Yang and Blake.

Reading your guys' thoughts of them focusing on character interaction so far this volume makes me happy. That has always been the draw for me. I liked the fight scenes in the first two volumes and was bored to death by most of them in the third. The character interaction between Team RWBY and their development was always the hook for me.

I watched this episode on YouTube and didn't even know the second episode was already up on RT. I'll go check that out now. Here's hoping its another 20 minute episode.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  8. KaiDASH

I'm not sure 'speeding through the plot' is a reasonable criticism of rwby.

9. Pure Infinity

I don't really mean "speeding through" in the way you seem to be implying.

Maybe it was just me, but I thought they pulled the trigger on the Vytal festival way to quickly. There wasn't enough attention given to developing the relationships between the main cast. I can agree that it didn't feel "rushed" in the sense that things felt like they were moving at a fast pace, but it felt rushed in the sense that they moved to plot point to plot point, with only battles as a buffer.

For example - last volume they spent an entire, incredibly long section of an episode on a filler battle between SSSN and team NDGO, before moving immediately to the fall maiden plot. That time would have been much better spent - on Pyrrha's relationship with the rest of JNPR aside from Jaune, or her supposed deep friendship with Ruby (so that it means more when she dies), on Penny and Ruby's relationship (so it means more when she dies), on Yang and Blake's friendship (so that it means more when Blake runs off).

So much time was spent on flashy battles and introducing colorful new characters, instead of focusing on fleshing out the characters they already had. As a result, the climax of the volume - Pyrrha's death - felt rushed to me, as it lacked the emotional punch it seemed Rooster Teeth was going for.

10. KaiDASH

Basically, pacing in RWBY is somewhere between bad and awful depending on the episode and arc, as are decisions relating to what should receive screen time.

11. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

Overall, I think the quality is at the highest it's ever been in almost every department. It's a tad cheesy, sure, but Jaune's scene at the end of episode 2 was pretty good. I feel they might as well have included Yang and Blake in these episodes, seeing as they ran rather short.

12. Zel

Zel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    The first two were pretty good. Some character development and interactions between them were severely lacking until now - hell, we skip months and months of team bonding and went right to the part where everyone is getting along. I don't mind less fight scenes, we had plenty of those already.

The lack of overwhelming angst was a joy too, they went ahead with their lives but certainly didn't forget the tragic events. Much better than I expected.

What disappointed me was Salem. Honestly, I was expecting someone a little more...evil. She seems pretty reasonable and down to earth, but I guess I can't judge her with so little screen-time. Watered down Joker was a let down too, but the dynamics of the group show potential.

Overall, pretty hyped.

13. Striker

Striker What's up demons?

The bad guy round table was just the worst. God forbid we introduce new villains organically throughout the story. Have to make sure we know who to hate. Also god forbid we let the reveal of Salem simmer in the audience's mind for even half a second before we show off how evil she is with her team of evil people.

At least Blake hasn't had any screen time yet.

14. KaiDASH

They were like caricatures of Disney villains.

It really bad compared to previous villain intros (Cinder, Mercury and Emerald).

15. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So does anyone else think Ruby is Qrow's daughter?

16. Krieger

Krieger Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

A pretty common theory which we have no information on. I think so too, think its the old pretend she is Taiyangs daughter to protect her from Qrows enemies. Oldest trick in the book in storytelling, but at the rate this story progresses each season it could be years before we find out the truth.

Or next week.

I got to say I was extremely disappointed in the first episode of volumne 4, and I can't say I am enjoying all the new looks. Noras is definitely a disappointment.

But damn that ending of episode two... typical rwby. Makes you question why you like this show so much then BAM. Dem feelz.

17. deyas

deyas Groundskeeper

I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere, but they actually released a series of shorts prior to the release of the fourth volume. I think they're pretty interesting, myself; they give a lot of background information that we've been missing for the most part.

18. ChaosGuy

ChaosGuy Unspeakable

In regards to Ruby being Qrow's daughter... we have WoG that Ruby and Yang are (Half-)siblings, so unless Qrow knocked up Raven and Yang somehow got blonde hair out of it... Taiyang is Ruby's father and she just takes after her mother physically.

19. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

New episode is up for subscribers.

The robot arm was addressed incredibly quickly, but as expected, mental issues first!

Interestingly, even with the tower down the local communication (and all the technology) is still working, unlike most fanfics.

The dragon fight still felt like it was missing something, but the ending was great. Ramming speed!

20. Majube

Majube Order Member DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I didn't really like the new episode in regards with
    Blake's part because of Sun an the dragon Grimm. First of all Sun was so OOC, I mean it totally clashed with his other season approaches with him being creepy out of nowhere an then acting like a joke during a fight when usually he does get serious it feels like an imposter trying to badly impersonate yea? Blake got a cheer from me with her realistic slapping at his stalking also loved the reveal of her being from menagerie which started peaceful white fang an Adam Taurus yet weirdly is called out of the kingdoms? Also these casual faunus dropping makes me think that's going to be an even bigger theme in this season. Also Yang's fathers dialogue was so cringe. So was Suns even though he was so cool before, why are they trying to prop up Jaune as best boy blonde. Also that dragon Grimm came out of nowhere I like how they made it so that Blake an Sun couldn't casually kill it without the ship captain who I figure by the way rooster teeth is making this half game intro-ish an drama show or cinematic short so the captain will end up either giving her something or casually name dropping a hint that'll make her interested in taking down white fang again. I'd say all four of them will have introspective parts with Ruby an Blake having the most action parts, I don't particularly like the new episode switches of Ruby an Weiss episode an the Blake an Yang's turn especially how there's obvious filler parts an the constant Cinders woe is me stuff. They went from portraying her as badass super villain an then making her least of the baddies and depending on if those gold eyes making them a family she could've been gasp pressed into being a villain. Or it could be that being a Fall maiden makes her inherently nicer or something. Obviously Ozpins not dead but I liked the glimpse of Good witch an Pyrhas voice actor is still on board. Hopefully the relic stuff and Goodwitch an Cinders Grimm controlling will coincide soon. I don't like all this filler laydown... Not even any subtle world building.