1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Saving Connor by Lightning on the Wave - M

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by pimpostrous, Feb 25, 2006.

1. liath

liath Seventh Year

What are you guys talking about?

I consider Lightning on the Wave's works to be one of the best out there. Her writing is absolutely amazing, and the messy psychology is very well done. While the first two installments were slow and disconnected, her writing becomes unparalleled in the third, and completely genius in the fourth.

Her political workings are completely amazing, and the intricacies of the twisting plots are breathtaking. Some of what you guys were commenting are were *thoroughly* explained in a completely believable way later on--they just seem to be wierd at first. But that's the beauty of it!

Also, her Sacrifices Arc were the inspiration for my story, Young Again: The Rewrite. While Muhjaa-ness gave birth to this particular time-travel!Harry idea, it was Lightning's brilliance that gave me my inspiration for writing this at all. And while I don't plan on making my Harry undergo child abuse and whatnot, a lot of my ideas stem from hers--with my own twists.

And if you think my Voldemort is cool, just read hers. Her Voldemort is absolutely evil. And if you think the ritual I wrote in my story was neat, read hers. Her rituals are beyond awesome.

However, I can admit that her slashiness at times makes me wince, but I can stand it--because the rest of the story is an absolute epic.

Oh, and to Naga's Shadow: her kickass!Harry scenes are not at all like cannon Harry. Remember when he busted Henrietta Bulstrode's ass? Is that normal cannonical Harry action?

In any case, don't judge her fic so harshly. She doesn't deserve it. And while you may think her *ideas* are crap, her writing itself is flawless. And I do bet she can write a whole lot better than most of us.

2. Zero

Zero Seventh Year

The story is brilliantly written, there's no denying that. But it hurts to think that there's no het stories that are on par with this one. That's why I stopped reading it, that and the angst overload.

3. liath

liath Seventh Year

Yes, there is a lot of angst. But only she has ever pulled it off so well--which is another reason why I stand reading it.

Only her fic has ever made me want to punch Dumbles in the nose, or shove Lily's wand up her ***.

4. Amerision

Amerision Galactic Sheep Emperor DLP Supporter

Why does she love hurting Harry so much?

Poor Harry...

Ending:

And through all of his suffering, in the end he gets a hot blonde chick...erm, guy to bang up the ass all day. Yay!

5. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Her writing may be good, but I personally would prefer a decently writen fic with a great plot to a wonderfully writen fic with a plot that wasn't worth the tears I would expend in pain when forcing myself to read it.

A good plot is just as, if not more, important that good grammar and spelling and this fic plot is so bad that it ruins any enjoyment that may have came from the good writing of the author.

As I said before, I read this series to midway through the fourth intallement in the space of two days - that's several hundred thousand words - and in all that time I never got the feeling of wanting to know more - quite the opposite in fact: I had to force myself to struggle on in the hope of it getting better.

As far as I can see, other than it's appeal to slashy fangirls, the only thing that drives readers to keep on going is that the fic is basically one very drawn out waiting game - waiting for Harry to finally get his act together and stop being a wuss.

I doubt that it will ever happen.

6. Swimdraconian

Swimdraconian Denarii Host DLP Supporter

The inner Freudian in me wonders if this isn't an outward manifestation of the author's lack of an interesting life.

I have read this story all the way through what the author has written, and while she has an incredible grasp of writing techniques and detail, I wish this story was het!

Gah!

7. Myst

Myst Headmaster

If only it wasnt slash.... I'd actually read it.

8. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

I don't think I'd read it even if it was gen... I just can't stand emo bullshit and constant high-tension angst... not to mention Harry being a pussy of gigantic proportions.

9. Myst

Myst Headmaster

<cough>, I forgot about the emoish of that story. Emo storys make me hide in my cave... that happens to have a computer..... er... right.

10. Cupspeaker

Cupspeaker Looked into the void

Angst is okay for me in short bursts only but it gets freaking annoying when Lightning has ten thousand words of angst bullshit per chapter. I got midway on the fifth book before I left it, and I am glad I did. Looking back I dont know how I read all that I did.

If angst is your thing, then this fic is for you. If you like slash, again this fic is for you. But I have different tastes. Not better tastes. Just different... I prefer action stories, and thriller type stories compared to heartache and pain. That is why I loved the Bourne books so much. It was the best thriller a guy could ask for.

Lightning on the wave is so focused on angst its sickening. And add that to slash, well.... *puke*

Note: I dont have anything against slash or angst, I just dont like it.

11. Litha Riddle

Litha Riddle Banned DLP Supporter

I tried slogging through this sleep enducer and am sad to say I fell after the third story. I mean I know someday an author will write decent fem/ but making Harry into such a girl is no way to go about it. I don't know why people write the same old crap, it really is befuddling. I mean grammar wise its great but the characters are wussy shadows of the canon. I mean Rowlings Harry has more guts than this one.
    I could probably even ignore the slash if it wasn't for Harry being so bloody submissive. No one with power to equal the Dark Lord should be bitched around by anyone. I don't care who's doin' the bitchin' but it shouldn't happen. I always thought Harry should take his opower and smash his opponents with it. Also I like Evil characters the most and she's made them into Pansies. I'm sorry but even Snape is a good villain and she just f,.ks them up.
    I like evil and she just ruins it.

I wish I'd never stumbled upon this garbage, I wasted a whole weekend on this filth.
    It's an insult to Slytherin house!!

12. I first started reading this cause it was alwayz the first story on FF.net and it was pretty long.I was put of reading it because of the summary i didnt start reading it till the sequal was underway and I couldnt get past the first few chapters.i remember reading the first few paragraphs over and over because i couldn't get over harry haveing to be ordinary so conor could be extraordinary.but i finally got past that but i stop flat when there were going on the express and lily said something along the lines that harry's lighning striking fast and hard and how he had to preserve conors innocence(sp?)

13. Amerision

Get a beta for your post...

14. Dark Lord Rostam

Dark Lord Rostam Button La Famiglia Midknight

In that thing you call a closet. Better watch out,
    ^Agreed

Listen to him. Why? Because I'm the Juggernaut, Bitch!

15. Cupspeaker

Betaed: I first started reading this because it was the first story on ff.net. It was also very long. I did not like the summary thus I did not read it until the sequal was underway. I could not get past the first few chapters. I remember reading the first few paragraphs over and over because I could not understand the simple fact that Harry had to be so blah blah while Conner had to be blah blha. And the next few lines are incomprehensable (sp?)

--------

The plot sucks.
    The writing is good.
    Slash sucks.
    Angst sucks.
    That is the general agreement of most of the posters who posted against this fic.

The plot is awesome.
    The writing is good.
    The slash can be ignored.
    The angst is done nicely.
    That is the general agreement of most of the posters who posted for this fic.

Case closed.

16. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

I'm suprised that no one has mentioned the thing I dislike most about it. No, I don't enjoy the slash, and yes I hate the angst; but what really set me off was the ungodly length. I mean they are already past the 90th chapter of the most recent fic.

17. Cupspeaker

Usually the length is a good thing.... But you are right in this one. It is way too long.

18. Amerision

It's weird how people hardly react when they see Malfoy and Harry hugging, leaning on each other, etc.

19. Zero

Zero Seventh Year

Heh, yeah. Amerision, have you noticed how she repeats this sentence every two chapters? "Draco wrapped a possessive arm around Harry's waist." God, it's so fucking annoying.

20. Cupspeaker

Heh, draco/harry fluff is about half the entire story. If she cut the crap her story wouldn\'t be that long.