1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Scrolls

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Kensington, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Kensington

Kensington Denarii Host DLP Supporter

So, I saw this game linked in IRC and thought I'd give it a shot. Made by Mojang, it's the beta of a collectible-card game, where you win gold by playing (and winning) matches, which you can then use to buy more cards (or custom avatars if you're weird like that.)

It's pretty damn fun. It's been roughly 7 years since I last played Magic, so I'm by no means an expert at CCGs, but I like how the positioning of units can combine with enchantments and spells to devastate your foes (or get ran over in turn.)

So, anyone else interested in getting this? It would be nice to play with some fellow DLPers.

And yes, the Beta costs $20. Kind of like Minecraft.

2. Dr. Strange Lulz

Dr. Strange Lulz Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Huh, just noticed this.

Been playing for a week already. The game is definitely fun, but it has its quirks.

1) The cards themselves are well balanced, yet different enough to notice.
    2) Great in game deck builder.
    3) Great gameplay system, lots of room for strategy and tactics.
    4) Interface is fairly smooth, no serious hiccups of any kind. And since it's beta, thats pretty good.
    5) No cash shop = Victory. The shards or whatever the hell they're called are really only good to pick up cosmetic shit and the other two starter decks.
    6) Really easy to learn. If you've ever played any kind of CCG, you'll feel right at home.
    7) Great art

Dislikes:

1) The music is repetitive as all hell.
    2) Your first while playing is pretty much going to be luck based, until you customize a deck and develop your own strategies... it's just luck of the draw.
    3) Hybrid decks are nowhere near as powerful as mono decks at this point. You can pull it off in Magic, but there just aren't enough card options yet to make it effective consistently.
    4) Surrenders show up in your profile, which is fine. But surrenders against AI when testing decks or doing wicked hard trials show up as well. Didn't realize this for a while.
    5) Still in beta. No friends list, /commands, or a bunch of other little things I've become accustomed to at this point.
    6) Decks don't have a role once the game starts. I've always loved burning out my opponent's decks, I hate that I don't have that option in Scrolls, but maybe they'll add it later. I'm hoping the 4th deck focuses on this, denials, and creature removal. Basically a very spell heavy deck.

The dislikes are just little gripes that'll probably get fixed over time before the full release.

I like it, I'm probably going to go play it right now.

PS: Fuck Energy decks.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2013