1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Shadows of Konoha - Amora Journeys - M - Naruto

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by bonnerr2, Dec 5, 2011.

1. bonnerr2

bonnerr2 Second Year

Title: Shadows of Konoha
    Author: Amora Journeys
    Fandom: Naruto
    Rating: M
    Genre: Drama/Tragedy
    Chapters: 44
    Words: 513,466
    Updated: Oct 25, 2013
    Published: Oct 18, 2011

Pairings: None As Of Yet
    Summary: Naruto Uzumaki is one of the strongest ninja in the world today. But everyone has their limits. Can he survive ANBU or will it defeat him first?
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7474227/1/Shadows_of_Konoha

Solid writing centering around Post War and newly minted ANBU Naruto after he defeats Madara. He's one of the best but still has doubts about killing in cold blood outside of "honorable life and death situations". Kyuubi is still there trying his best to corrupt.

About 8 chapters in and the plot is moving along nicely. Couple of cliches and pet peeves (including one usage of 'kit' by Kyuubi and an extry sexy and sadistic Anko) but overall it's refreshing and seems to be going in the right direction.

Checked by Minion, February 09, 2015

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2015
  2. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Mildly sure this was posted somewhere here before (Almost Recc'd Thread?) but it is a good story. Solid writing, interesting characterisation. Shows a somewhat grittier ninja world than your average Naruto fic. 4/5.

3. Cxjenious

Cxjenious Dark Lord

There are jarring tense issues, incorrect words, and missing words. Besides that, it is pretty good. 3.5/5

4. The Berkeley Hunt

The Berkeley Hunt Headmaster

Chiming in on the recommendation, its easily a 3.5, but closing in on a 4 depending on where it goes next. I had some issues with cliche stuff, but it was done quite well and even the Anko cliche was fun to read and didn't follow the cliche to the letter.

I was annoyed at the whole 'killing' nonsense, since they are ninja and would have killed before then anyway. But yeah, pretty good writing and a good premise. I'll definitely follow it in the future.

5. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

Reading the third chapter now. It's an alright story so far, but there was one little thing that made me raise an eyebrow...

Tsunade filching Naruto's inheritance from Jiraiya and using it to pay her personal debts.

Kinda bugged me, but it's not a deal breaker or anything.

6. Starwind

Starwind Headmaster

The thing that had me put it off for so long was the description. ANBU dosen't seem much compared to war these days.

Anyway, it's alright. 3/5.

7. Lion

Lion Denarii Host DLP Supporter

My favorite updating Naruti story right now. It's supposed to be a more realistic ninja world and it fits that perfectly. The last update really puts into perspective just how much different this ninja world is from what we see in canon Naruto.

8. Dilla

Dilla Seventh Year

I've recently added this to my favorites. The author has gotten more into a grove as of late and the latest chapters has a Daystar Clarion feel to them.

9. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

Angst was a bit much in this latest chapter, but I suppose that's what I signed up for considering the genre.

10. bonnerr2

bonnerr2 Second Year

The last update definitely was not one of my favorite chapters. It had Super angst and no real plot movement, and frankly it seems as if the author is trying her best to cut Naruto's balls off . The next couple chapters are supposed to swing focus back on ANBU so I'm not going to give up hope yet.

11. Lion

Finally started the updates again for the new year and the story has only gotten better. The characterization has been pretty true to the manga, but still feels more adult than what Kishi has. I really want this to get another look at because it rates alot better than the recycling bin.

12. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

LOL, I forgot about this fic. Its moral seems to be 'nobody gets to be happy, ever.'

13. bonnerr2

bonnerr2 Second Year

I haven't forgot about it. I actually just re-read it recently and you could see the growth of the author through her characterization and world building abilities as the story went on. Easily a 4.5/5.

14. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

I tried to read some of it back when, but as I implied above, the angst is just too much. This story is legit depressing to read. Why hasn't Naruto just offed himself and/or everybody else?

15. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

I don't really mind that it's depressing, it just stops being interesting. I think we've all seen stories where everyone gets fucked over but it can still be enjoyable to read. I mean, if we accept, in the Naruto fandom, the Kenchii stories as a low 3/5, this is better, but not by much, and thus I'm not sure if it should really be in the full on library

16. SmileOfTheKill

SmileOfTheKill Magical Amber

Too depressing without any positive emotions makes for a boring read. as LT2000 said, the moral of the story makes for such a boring read. Stuff happens, it sucks for everyone, they continue to live and stuff happens again. There is no change in that basic structure for the entire story.

17. Lion

It certainly is depressing, but it just makes those small moments of happiness that much better. It really gives a more realistic view of the life of ninjas through their eyes. Everything isn't happy all the time, nothing should be in their world considering most of what they do is kill people and perform war crimes for their village. They have a gruesome profession and it's jarring for Naruto and his generation because before the war they hadn't faced anything horrible in their missions and lives other than Sasuke leaving. This is a true coming of age tale for a ninja, learning everything sucks and that the only way to survive is to find the small things in life that make you happy.

18. Crimson13

Crimson13 Professor

Hey, I got a question for you guys. What would be better, the way things are going in this fic or if Tobi won?

I'm liking it, don't get me wrong, I'm just curious on what anyone else thinks would be better or worse.

19. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    There is drama and angst stories , there are needlessly excessive drama stories, and then there is this fic.
    2.5/5 rounded to 3. This is a good place for thi s fic, imo. This fic is literally the first one to have ever made me wish Hinata would be killed off, preferably painfully.

20. Lion

Honestly I like this more. It moves from the Tobi being Obito thing that people have been calling out for years. Plus it adds a bit of realism to the Naruto World.

And Republic other than the Angst, which becomes less of a problem later on, what's wrong with the fic?