1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Sherlock

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Sorrows, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Hype Mode: Activated.

2. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Additionally, he's going to kill Mary Watson and she's a person in a hospital bed in the trailer. Two reasons. One, they may be creative with the canon, but they tend to keep key points of it and John being alone again could be considered this. Other reason is drama. I mean, if you want to make a rift, even if just temporal, between Holmes and Watson, this is a sure way to do it.

3. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I actually didn't mind the Christmas special. I'll watch this, but I think the time when Sherlock was the best thing ever has passed. For me at least.

4. Razza2k

Razza2k Squib

High Score:
    Did anyone else feel that the season 4 trailer was just disappointing for how long we have been waiting?

5. carvell

carvell Professor DLP Supporter

I didn't find the trailer disappointing although they could have made it longer without giving too much away and as for waiting, everyone including the actors have been wanting to film season 4 for ages its just a matter of scheduling as all the actors are in constant demand.

6. Chucho

Chucho Squib

High Score:
    It was not bad. It was very dark and it actually gives you a feel that nobody knows whats happening. Aldo i think this series os going to have more action that the one before

7. Andrela

Since Season 4 is gonna premiere next week we might as well resurrect the thread.

Any predictions?

Here's the trailer for those who may have not seen it yet:

[yt]qlcWFoNqZHc[/yt]

8. carvell

carvell Professor DLP Supporter

9. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

You know whenever this thread pops back up I lol at my first post and remember catching the first episode randomly flicking through channels at my parent's house. Still looks good, forgot the new season was coming up so it is a nice suprise.

10. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I'm a little wary - I really didn't like the last episode - but I'll see how this series goes. I'm reasonably confident, because on the whole it's been great.

11. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

The third season already was a small disappointment when compared to the second one, but it could be blamed on high expectations. My main problem with it was lack of a balance between the characters and their adventures. Too much Sherlock/Watson fanservice, not enough engaging detective games. Not to mention lack of new characters that could rival Irene and Moriarty.

12. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I thought Mary was a great addition to the third season - the writers did a fantastic job writing a female character where she's concerned.

But I do agree that the third season seemed to be more focused on relationships than mysteries. Maybe only 60/40, but in past seasons it was the reverse.

13. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

Third season was crappy but hopefully they'll pull it back for this one

14. Shinysavage

High Score:
    Well, it was an improvement over 'The Abominable Bride', but nothing special.

Crucially, I was completely uninspired by the whole relationship drama between Watson and Mary. His emotional affair via text prompted little more than an eye-roll, and Mary's death was super lame. I won't say predictable, because I didn't expect it until the secretary fired the gun, but still, lame. They might still have pulled it off, but I was sniggering at Freeman's OTT emotional grunting. As for the tension about whether Holmes and Watson will patch things back up...well, they're both working together in the trailer for the next episode, so maybe half an episode - maybe a full one - of them gritting their teeth before they're the best of friends again?

15. Andrela

I liked this episode.
    I'm glad Mary is dead, I never liked her character. Watson blaming Sherlock is predictable, but also understandable and entirely justified. It is, after all, Sherlock's fault.

16. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    his fault she jumped in front of a bullet for him? He did everything bar shooting her with his non-existent gun to make sure she was pointing her gun at him...?

Hasn't this 'blame Sherlock' shit happened before too? Whatever.

As for the episode, eh. I find it extraordinary how much more I enjoy Elementary to this, even with the far less impressive Sherlock and lack of any true overarching plot to speak of...

17. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

It wasn't a bad episode... but I didn't think it was good either, not compared to the previous ones.

I felt there was a distinct lack of a core mystery to solve. To me this episode felt more like... "A day in the life of Sherlock Holmes except this time there is a lasting consequence."

I liked Mary in Season3. To me she is an exceptional example of how to do a female main character right. There are precious few other examples that come to mind. I had looked forward to how they handled her in Season4, except... she wasn't interesting in this episode.

She carried the baby around, didn't get many witty lines, tried to play the martyr, and got herself killed.

If that's how they were going to play her going forward maybe it's better to kill her off, but I'd have loved to see more of Season3 Mary.

Watson having an... emotional affair? Is that the term? Felt like it came out of nowhere. Maybe if they'd taken the time to set up that he was getting bored with his marriage, or felt like he was being nagged, or anything... but it just came out of left field and felt shoe-horned in to provide a slightly stronger emotional impact at the end.

Sherlock didn't have a proper mystery to solve, which got a bit on my nerves. They brought him back to deal with whatever surprise Moriarty left after his death. Fine. Sherlock blazes through cases in snapshot mode until he finds something interesting, which all-too-conveniently involves Mary's past.

That felt too coincidental, unless it turns out to have more background than we were given in this episode.
    I think my favorite bit was the first five minutes when Mycroft and Sherlock are fighting over his phone like they're children.

@Xandrel - How is it Sherlock's fault?
    First of all, the fault actually lies with the shooter, Vivian Norbury? That is who actually deserves the blame.

The over-arching situation was brought about by Mary being a contract killer in her past. Sherlock has no control over the fact that her past came back to haunt her, nor was he in charge of making sure the secretary was trustworthy.

Mary chose to jump in front of him instead of shove him out of the way or just... not move. Mary was also the one to say that she was unwilling to let the secretary walk away.

Granted Sherlock did piss Norbury off with his lecturing, but that's why she shot at Sherlock (not Mary). Sherlock also messaged Mary to come to the aquarium, but even Watson agreed that if there was more to the case to be seen she should be there.

So yeah, Sherlock hands here aren't snow white (they never are) but I wouldn't call Mary's death 'his fault'... and I suspect that once Watson has processed things he'll agree.

18. Shinysavage

High Score:
    Watson's emotional affair would have worked a lot better if they'd used the flashback to show a second meeting, after Mary buggers off 'for his own good', and framed it as a reaction to her abandonment rather than...well, whatever the reason for it actually is (unless, as various fans have claimed, it's all going to turn out to be part of the arc plot, either for Moriaty or Toby Jones' character). It would still have been a disappointing move, but at least it would have made sense.

On a lighter note, Mark Gatiss penned a fun response to a critique of the last episode - one that I think made a fair point, if a little too strongly - which is worth a read.

19. Andrela

CheddarTrek

It's his fault because she only shot at him because he kept pushing at her insecurities with his usual I'm-better-than-you speech. If he just had any degree of self control she wouldn't have shot at him and Mary wouldn't have to sacrifice herself.

20. Shinysavage

High Score:
    That's still only a portion of the blame though. How big a portion will be down to individual viewers, agreed, but some blame has to be laid out to the other players in the scene.