1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Silent by Yklia - M - Worm

Discussion in 'Trash Bin' started by ragingst0rm6, Jan 31, 2014.

1. ragingst0rm6

ragingst0rm6 Squib

Title: Silent
    Author: Yklia
    Rating: M
    Genre: Drama/Action
    Fandom: Worm
    Pairings: None
    Summary: Taylor's power lets her copy other capes. It isn't a direct copy, her variations are not as powerful and she can't copy everyone.
    Link: Spacebattles

Taylor with a slightly different shard, but with the potential to be ridiculously powerful.

Insane update rate, and I'm enjoying it so far (of course, I may just be easily pleased).

Somebody better at summarizing should take a look and provide more details.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2015
  2. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

Very interesting story... and you are right with the insane update rate.

Summary: Taylors power lets her copy other capes. It isn´t a direct copy, her variations are not as powerful and she can´t copy everyone (So no Eidolon/Alexandria etc) but no other restraints are known. The story is very episodic (which can make it jarring to read the whole thing in one go) and for now mostly centres about Taylor getting to know other capes and powers (I especially like how he describes how the different powers affect her mind).

3. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

I've been following this just out of boredom, but some things about it really bugged me. Like the ramped up locker incident and bullying. What the hell was the point, especially when you consider how it was resolved?

Also, the whole "can't copy certain powers for no reason" thing irks me. Seems like an annoyingly stupid way for the author to somehow not make Taylor quite as broken as she could be.

4. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

Well from I got it was that she needed to have some basic understanding of the powers involved or at least a similar explanation. (It could also be that she can only use the powers of one of the Hyper-Beings)
    And yeah the ramped up locker incident served no real purpose ( other than portraying her as a bit more competent) but at this point I am simply happy it isn´t another rehash or a Exalt/Worm crossover that will be abandoned after 2 chapters.

5. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Am I missing something? Is there a reason she can't speak in Silent? It seems like an odd inconvenience.

6. CaffeineAddict

CaffeineAddict Seventh Year DLP Supporter

At the moment it seems like it may be psychosomatic. Either that or it's the obvious Tinker powers she started with mucking things up.

7. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

The thing about her not being able to copy some powers seems to be a throughput issue or something, like her shard can only process one ability at a time. By the time I post this the author will have updated twice more and explained it. <_<

8. andy50

andy50 Groundskeeper

Thanks dude, loving it.

9. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Just finished the latest update of Silent.

That escalated quickly doesn't even begin to cover it.

10. Saot

Saot Groundskeeper

With how overpowered Tayor is, it pretty much has to.

11. andy50

andy50 Groundskeeper

Well Silent is over, dam, that update rate.

12. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

Well all I can say is that I knew it wasn't sustainable.

And that ending...

13. Saot

Saot Groundskeeper

Well, that was something.

It's not really a particularly good story. It's very rushed, bounces arbitrarily from point to point, and the central concept of Taylor being mute was ultimately irrelevant to the plot. The ending wasn't totally out of left field, but it was still a bizarre swerve into a completely different story that made everything before it feel pointless.

That said, I still enjoyed all of it.

14. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

15. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

There were so many things in Silent irrevelant to the plot. The whole thing sounds like a big mashup of things the author liked. Mute Taylor, gay Danny, copying powers, etc etc. In the end it was all irrevelant.

16. Hello

Hello Professor

Considering it appeared to have been written over 4 days I didn't expect much reading it. And while it was better than I had thought it would be it still wasn't A material. But I can't fault the author for that, she seems to have just decided "oh this sounds cool" and wrote some 50k words on the rule of cool alone.

So in all, I have to say that Silent is much better than it has any right to be and I would recommend it to anyone looking to waste some time.

17. Saot

Saot Groundskeeper

The annoying part about the Jacob thing is that there was a really obvious awesome direction for it to go ("Jack" can be a nickname for Jacob...), but instead it was just an utterly pointless scene.

18. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

Jack Slash's real name is canonically Jacob, you don't need to try and be coy about it.

I haven't read Silence, and probably am never going to, but if there really was a Jacob running around, it's kinda disappointing to hear it wasn't Jack Slash in "disguise".

19. andy50

andy50 Groundskeeper

I don't really like the ending of absorbing the end brings, it kinda left an empty feeling in me.

20. chaosfire999

chaosfire999 Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

I very possibly was Jack Slash in disguise and Cherish is still a good explanation for Danny suddenly being all over him. I just means the author deliberately cut that story thread short like all others, perhaps to try and show how outside of all of that Taylor is now. Like everyone has said, it doesn't really work.