1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Small Favor by Jim Butcher *Spoilers*

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Koalas, Apr 2, 2008.

1. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

At this point in time Murphy is not a knight. Maybe in the future but as of Small Favor she merely has the potential to be the knight. She has to choose to take up the sword.

2. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    She's going to take it up once she's fired from the police force. It was pretty obvious she was going to be given a sword at some point, but she's already been demoted once and it's obvious how disliked she is by the higher ups... Ironic, ain't it :p.

Aekiel

3. Veri

Veri Denarii Host

Great book. The action scenes were fucking badass, particularly the Ivy smackdown at the aquarium, but i also greatly enjoyed the hob/gruff fighting at what i believe was a train station.

I was honestly surprised that Dresden is being paired with Luccio, i mean... really? I'm really hoping that it doesn't turn out to be a serious relationship, because i just can't see how it would work. Meaningless sex= great. Long, Drawn out relationship= fucking fail. I'll probably post a larger review eventually, but i'm tired, and in the middle of watching futurama. So... Yeah. Great story.

Veritas

4. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

He will end up with Murphy in the end.

5. Darius

Darius 13/m/box

The Octagon - Say that to my face and not online m
    I will go on a homicidal rampage.

6. Coyote

Coyote He howls n' stuff

I'unno, Darius, something tells me Murphy fucks like a tiger.

7. Darius

Darius 13/m/box

Still wouldn`t be worth putting up with that bitch.

And after Kincaid I don`t think Harry could make her feel anything. Unless he uses soulfire and fucks her from across the room or something.

8. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

If she was like the Muph from the show, fine. But in the book Butcher has changed her from nosy cop bitch, to genuine force (Proven Guilty, early books) to being an annoying ass worried about the law White Night +.

Sticking him with Luccio was out of left fucking field, and I didn't really like it, it's a cheap ass way of getting him another ally inside the Council. Then again she could be getting close to him just to watch him.

I'd of rather had Las come back/recover, him be really tempted and have to use a nice chunk of her power, and slowly go darker. He's a good character, but he's still too goody two shoes. Butcher has him steer dark, then light, then back again, but when he goes dark, he never really does it enough to matter, and he's bitchy about it. Let the guy really tear over something, and for the love of god I wish he'd stop getting his ass beat to a pulp every book.

It's far more believable that he isn't superman, but seeing the hero of the book keep getting his head mashed in and barely coming out on top gets old fast.

9. Perfection

Perfection Fourth Year

I like Luccio as a character but Harry won't stay with her for long both of them know that it was alluded too in their conversation at the end of the book.

I hate Murphy as a character, possibly one of my least favorite characters, she's controlling, annoying and thinks she has a right to involve herself in everything. That being said it, it looks like Butcher will pair the two up at some point but my hope it is (much) later rather then sooner.

And about Harry's power, well I think Butcher could have made a more believable character that way. The guy lives in a basement, barely makes enough money to get by and without fail manages to get his ass kicked every year or two. And when he is offered repeatedly many different ways to gain more power and not get his ass kicked so much he stubbornly says no.

I don't care if he's freakin Gandhi he's gotten enough injuries and faced enough hardship to accept the meager offers of power that come his way.

10. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Meager lol. You're absolutely right. And with the low, low cost of his soul how could he refuse?

11. Darius

Darius 13/m/box

I`d do it.

12. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I could get him not taking up Lash's coin, but to not let her help him more was weird. He KNOWS and can resist her just fine, why not gain alittle more without as much pain, and yet still not go over?

As for why he's not the Winter Knight, I don't get that, other then he knows Mab's crazy? I wonder if he was offered the Summer Knight if the outcome would be the same, Fix seems normal.

Also, since he boffed Luccio.. doesn't that mean he looses Susan's protection from the White Court vamps?

13. Anlun

Anlun Denarii Host

I have to disagree there, it makes sense not to take up the offer of Winter Knight. It's not a matter of which Court is the offer coming from, as he has mentioned he dislikes Summer just as much, if not more so than Winter (recall that his logic is that Winter screws you over but you at least expect it, whereas Summer is more sneaky but does the same).

The reason is that while you do get power, you lose your will and become a slave to the current Queen. Look at Fix. Yeah he's normal but he's forbidden from saying what he wants and probably from doing what he wants as well. If it can be construed in any way that what you're doing is conspiring against the Court you work for, you are forbidden from doing it . For Harry, and his line of work this is especially dangerous. Imagine if as Winter Knight a situation comes up that could mean the end of the world, and Summer is trying to prevent it. He by default would be obliged to allow it to happen.

As much as I would love to see Harry take up the mantle is understandable that he wouldn't. Though HP fic where Harry takes it up would be interesting to see...

As for Susan's protection, Yup its gone I think. Maybe if he really really cares for Luccio another one will form, but I don't see that relationship as a very strong one, what happens if she wants to see his basement? He's fucked. Maybe he'll at least get a sword out of it hitting that...

Last edited: Apr 14, 2008
  14. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Like Vash's story? You know, that one where he accepted the offer to be the Winter Knight.

15. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

I think he means Harry Potter in a HP/DF crossover.

16. Rehio

High Score:
    Probably not.

17. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

I am pretty sure that's what he meant.

18. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

hemhem

-points above.-

That is why he hasn't accepted.

19. Anlun

Anlun Denarii Host

That is indeed what I meant. And yeah good post Jon forgot that little monologue.

20. Rehio

High Score:
    ...D'oh.

I fail. Apparently I missed a sentence in there.