1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Small Favor by Jim Butcher *Spoilers*

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Koalas, Apr 2, 2008.

1. The Fine Balance

The Fine Balance Headmaster

Because he knows that hows it begins. Little concessions from places that don't really seem to matter, add up. The Temptress, any temptation really, slowly gets you to accept itself a bit more with every passing day.

As it goes, I think Lash was really well done. But I don't want her to come in any form. If she does then it would beggar the question that her sacrifice was just another ploy at manipulating him, and that would detract from the bittersweet quality that the character currently posses in my mind.

2. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It would make for an interesting situation though, given how Harry currently feels about Lash. He would probably be, if not happy, pleasantly surprised by her return, and that would make any corruption just a bit more meaningful.

... You're right, I just want to see him become a proper Black Wizard :p. Exploding peoples hearts ftw!

Ninja Edit: Has anyone read a Dresden fic where he does become a Black Wizard?

Aekiel

Last edited: Apr 14, 2008
  3. skuert

skuert Squib

Also, Ivy rocks.

Aekiel[/quote]

Indeed I loved the final scene between her an Harry. " I got our message. Thank You" Beatifull and very well written as its so simple...

Skuert

4. eXcalite

eXcalite Seventh Year

Loved it. Period

5. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    @Aekiel

I haven't seen any good or bad. Which is really disapointing, it would be a pleasure to read.

On that note I've always had a crazy completely unbased theory that Cowl and...his apprentice are Harry and Molly from an unformed future/alternate dimension.

6. Aekiel

High Score:
    Could be, if he's the Gatekeeper.

Aekiel

7. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

I think that that is incredibly unlikely... and yet that is just about the coolest idea I've heard in awhile.

8. The Fine Balance

The Fine Balance Headmaster

Where in the world did that come from?

For Cowl to be Harry from the future/Unformed Dimension, Harry would somehow have to go 50 (?) years in ze past to apprentice under Kremlar as well. And that sort of temporal movement is very unlikely in the Dresden Uni.

9. skuert

skuert Squib

all in all one hell of a book the series just gets better and better...

Skuert

Yes we do somewhat.
    Harry and Ebenezzer hassle it out it has to be either Ancient Mai or the merlin cause Ebeneezer vauches for Listens-To-Wind and Harry for Morgan.
    And those for are the only people who could have betrayed Simon in Summer Knight.

Skuert

I really really hope that THAT is NOT going to happen.
    What's the point in a Harry Murphy relationship, those two are already close enough in spirit...

Skuert

Last edited: Apr 15, 2008
  10. Aekiel

High Score:
    Funny thing I've just realised - the Gatekeeper could be the spy in the White Council. He isn't constrained to having known something before hand, given that he can go back in time whenever he damn well likes, and has taken an interest in Harry, which has never really turned out well for him.

Aekiel

11. Darius

Darius 13/m/box

The Octagon - Say that to my face and not online m
    Just because Harry vouches for Morgan doesn't mean he's right.

12. Philly Homer

Philly Homer What you call elephant cum I call mouthwash

Yeah, but that would go against everything we have learned about Morgan in the entire series. I'm not ruling out anybody though, well except Harry.

Oh and Small Favor sold a shit load of copies.

#2 on New York Times Bestsellers list
    #1 at Borders
    #1 at Barnes & Noble
    #3 on USA Today
    #1 on Publishers Weekly

I'm happy for Butcher, he is writing a great series, and finally getting recognition for it. In fact, I actually bought something for a change. I usually wait for things to be uploaded on teh internets.

13. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Another issue I have is how he just leaves shit wide open. I like cliffhangers but it often seems like he forgets stuff. Just off the top,

Who sent the fetches/set Raith up to take the fall?
    Who fixed Little Chicago?

I mean it's handsdown the best out now period, but I feel like I need more info. He took forever to bring Lash out, and it's taking even longer for the Black Council, he just needs to flesh things out more.

14. Drake

Drake Seventh Year

Well that's the problem when you have one author writing a 20 book series. There are small parts that slip through the cracks. It would be amazing if he tied up every loose end by the end of the series, but I get the feeling that the whole thing would have been better in 10-15 books instead of 20.

15. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Keep in mind there are still ten books he is going to write before he finishes the series.

And as far as little Chicago tbh I always thought Lasciel did it.

16. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

Thats what I had always thought as well.

As for leaving the Black Council in limbo... the way I am reading it is that its the long term mystery with a lot of little bits of information being dropped along the way to the big reveal. Then once the reveal happens a lot of those little unanswered questions suddenly have pseudo-answers or are answered outright. *shrugs* Maybe I am being overly optimistic but the series hasn't really let me down so far.

17. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

There are several months going by in the storyline between books, Harry could have fixed little chicago in that time. I wanna see Ivy and Cowl square off.

18. Midknight

Nope, there was a problem with Little Chicago, it was fixed by someone else, not him, that managed to get through his defenses. Someone corporeal or else Bob would of been able to fix it.

19. Anlun

Anlun Denarii Host

I see what you're saying, and I agree just not with those examples.

To use tv lingo the Black Council IMO will become the 'BIG BAD' of the series, and will encompass the entire span of the Dresden Files. I think we will get perhaps a few word mention of them in each book up until maybe the last 5 or 6 where they will be really fleshed out. Each book will have the 'Little Bad' which will pave the way for it. So far we see Dresden getting stronger and stronger, maybe not as much as we all wish him to be, but he is. This is no coincidence. Most certainly he is being groomed for a much stronger opponent.

But yeah the wide open thing is annoying, and I too think it's not done purposefully. Leaninsidhe's dagger I'm almost positive was forgotten and probably won't be explained.

Why Summer is so pissed at Harry seems a bit off.

What happened to that werewolf pack? It's been a few books, I thought they were all friends?

Side Note: Did anyone else hate some of the Denarian's names? Thorned w/e? WTF was that?

20. Midknight

I hated how the Denarian's were so uber badass, and yet Thomas didnt have trouble wtf owning one.

Speaking which, go here, DRESDEN FILES STOCK register, and then use the 1 grand you get to leave a comment worth 1K, anyone who can do this I'd appreciate please =P. Dont even have to enter an email.