1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Sniper Elite - 8.5/10

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by ip82, Jan 18, 2006.

1. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

This is the first game I genuinly liked after a long time.

You're an American sniper spec-op who's stationed in Berlin near the end of WWII. You're doing missions against both sides (Soviets & Nazis), often playing one against the other to get what you want (practically the beggining of the cold war).

What I liked in this game is ultra-realism regarding anything related with the sniping itself - bullet weight and free fall, wind, breathing etc... All factors are accounted for. Also, don't think that you can just waltz in and take out 50 germans without hassle. While dirrect confrontations with machine guns are possible, you probably won't survive more than one or two of them per mission. Patience and intelligence are paramount when playing this game - you spend a lot of time circling the enemies and building up the possition, but once you execute the kill, the elation is much greater than if you'd simply barged in shooting (and got yourself killed).

The effect upon performing a good shot is definitely the biggest hook in this game - cammera follows the bullet all the way to it's target and then you're rewarded with a juicy animation of your target's head exploding in gore, while pieces of his brain are flying all over the place. If you saw the movie "Enemy at the gates", you'll know what I mean.

Actually, this whole game seems designed by that movie, especially the general feeling of being a sniper in a ruined city. Some moments and tactics are litteraly coppied from it (and maybe "Saving Private Ryan"); Like, hitting a guy in his stomach (at which he falls down and starts crying for help) and then waiting in ambush for someone to come and try to carry him away. Or for example, waiting for the artillery to fire, to cover up the sound of your gunshot. Very reallistical, gory and cool.

What I didn't like in this game is the fact that the POV is locked from the playing character's behind (3rd person shooter). This IS useful, since you can cheat by rotating the camera behind walls and stuff, but I'd prefer to play a game like this from the First Person view, with commands to lean left, right and up, for better visibility.

Also, the enemies are sometimes unrealistically accurate with their sub-machine guns, but I guess it's just a motive more to play it safe instead of rushing forward.

And finally, there are some bugs and clipping regarding character interaction with the surrounding, but it's nothing too bad (unless you're an techno perfectionist).

In hidsight, very good game if you're patient enough for something like this. Oh, and don't judge the game by it's first mission. It's not very good. I was hooked only after the second one.

Graphic: I'd say above average. To me it seems nice enough, but I guess those who'd wasted $3000 on the perfect playing machine will find faults with texture resolution or some meaningless shit like that.

Sound: Good. Ambient sounds can get a bit irritating and over the top at times, but other than that, it's cool.

Gameplay: Great if you're into realism. Misses first person view, though.

General: Very good game. 8.5/10

2. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Nice I'll def. check this out, sniping is usually what I'm best at in games, whether it's defense, offensive, or anti-sniper--sniping, lol

3. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

I think it was Enemy at the Gates, but theres one bomb ass anti-sniper sniper scene where the enemy sniper spots the allied through his scope, and the ally shoots him in the eye through the scope he spotted him through. :twisted:

But yah, in games like Battlefield and Counterstrike, even Ghost Recon or BHD sniping is the funnest part.

Thanks IP82, I have seen this on shelfs but didn't see anything that impressed me. After your review I'll definetly pick it up.

4. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

That was from "Saving Private Ryan", that scene when the German sniper shoots Vin Diesel in the stomach and then waits for him to bleed to death in hope that someone would try to rescue him... Which is btw a valuable tactic in this game :)

No this is not very impressive game, in a way Doom 3 or Half Life 2 are - where you are all like "Wow! What graphic!" "Sweet Jesus, 14.5 dimensional sound!" "Just look at those realistical shadows!"... and then, after initial elation is over, you drop the game after two levels and forget all about it.

This is kinda unpretentious game that's not much on the first sight, but has good gameplay and solid difficulty and after you figure it out, you can play it for weeks before you get tired of it.

5. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Wasn't what I was thinking of. You see an allied sniper look down his scope at another sniper in a building. Then it zooms in and you see the enemy has not only spotted the sniper but is already lined up, next scene the enemy shoots the sniper - through the Allied snipers scope - straight in the eye.
    *Hasn't seen the movie for ages*

6. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Yeah, I think I remember a scene like that. Strange, Private Ryan has a similar scene, only with a German sniper getting shot through his scope (right after the scene I'd described).

7. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Enemy at the Gate kicked alot of ass. My favorite scene is when the allied snipers are travelling together, and Ron Pearlman's character goes to get a running start to jump this break in the building. As he gets midway, an enemy sniper blows his brains out mid jump.

Impossible to ever pull off, but it looked utterly cool as shit.

I've avoided Private Ryan due to the hype I've heard around it, I may actually have a go at it now. (I avoid hype movies at all costs, they're never anything but a disappointment usually)

8. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

You should watch Private Ryan, it's probably the best war movie ever.