1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

So today is the day of the epilogue

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Seratin, Sep 1, 2017.

1. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I seem to recall a story where Harry wakes up under the stairs after a particularly savage bout of Dursley abuse.

2. Moukaboy

Moukaboy Banned

High Score:
    I'm pretty sure it was a tumblr post , i saw it recently

3. radm94

radm94 First Year

High Score:
    The fact that the story, which claimed to be all about using our ~imagination~, decided to deny any and all imagination by tying up loose ends in the way that it did. The relationships could have had an open ending, after the main story was closed.

4. dysphere

dysphere Squib

High Score:
    I was irritated by how it didn't properly show the effects of the war on them, and that things basically looked unchanged in the epilogue.

5. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    In defense of the epilogue (*obligatory shiver of revulsion*) that's part of why there's a 19 year timeskip between the war and the epilogue itself. Yeah, it enables the rather trite ending of Harry sending his kids off to school, but it also allows for plenty of time for the setting to recover from the war's effects.

Maybe that's a bit too happy to be strictly realistic, but I don't think any of us really expected Rowling to sour the happy ending by talking about how all the PTSD, nightmares, and survivor's guilt Harry, Hermoine, and Ron would probably need to deal with after the war. Rowling was never going to write Harry Potter and Massive Psychotherapy Bill. Nor was she going to spend hundreds of pages going into all the social, cultural, and political changes that happened in wizarding society as a result of the war. What we got was essentially just a slightly more detailed version of "and they all lived happily ever after."

That said, it was a badly done take on that with enough painfully stupid elements to make it unpleasant to read.

6. arkkitehti

arkkitehti High Inquisitor

Obviously the Wizarding world decided to collectively obliviate all memories of the war (and those who died in it) to avoid PTSD. That's the real reason why Malfoy is free and why Harry named his child Albus Severus.