1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Song suggestions.

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Myrrdin Emrys, May 2, 2016.

1. Myrrdin Emrys

Myrrdin Emrys Disappeared

High Score:
    I am in desperate need of new songs, any suggestions?

Anything goes, from Arctic Monkeys to freaking Eminem. No restrictions on abusive language, genre/style or the date it came out. Free for all.

2. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Name some stuff you're already into, that might make it easier to narrow something down.

Some preliminary recs for genres I'm into, sorted on what I think the likelihood of any random dude on the street digging it is. There should be a little here for everyone.

Pop
    Man Man. Sample: Hold on To Your Heart
    Cheerful, not too difficult technically, pretty catchy. Very suited to humming and singing along.

R&B:
    D'Angelo. Sample: Me And Those Dreamin' Eyes of Mine
    Move over, Barry White, there's someone else who makes music ideally fit for banging. That's all the description it needs.

Rap
    Lyrics Born. Sample: Hot Bizness.
    I've heard this called funk-rap. I can see where they got it from; dude has a pleasant voice and clearly someone around him knows their beats. Not too aggressive.

Techno
    Parov Stelar. Sample: All Night
    Electroswing. Personally, I think it's a pretty shallow genre sometimes - lots of it blends together - but worth checking out nonetheless.

Garth Knight. Sample: Silent Strike
    This genre is called "New Retrowave"; it's similar to electroswing but harkens back to the 70/80's instead of the 20/30's. You can see this in the videos and the synths they use. If you're interested in more of this genre, check out these three albums. It's pretty popular, so you won't run into a shortage anytime soon. Hell, have one more for the road.

Carpenter Brut. Sample: Le Perv
    The soundtrack to a horror film, is the best to describe their style. If you've ever played Hotline Miami (and you should) and liked the soundtrack (and you should) then give this a listen, too. It's heavy, but in a really good way. This "genre" tends to cross over with New Retrowave a lot, so I imagine if you like that you'll like this.

LCD Soundsystem. Sample: Dance Yrslf Clean
    One of my favorite bands of all goddamn time, now and forever. Might not be for everyone - it can get pretty out there - but this is my jam, man. It hits notes not a lot of others do, for me. Quite frankly I'd commit a murder or five to get my hands on tickets for a concert.

Saint Pepsi. Sample: Cherry Pepsi
    Another new, lesser-known genre, this time called "vaporwave". Or, as it's more commonly referred to, "vaporwave". Yes, the different font is important. Also check out this song, because it's basically what made vaporwave popular.
    It's kind of a hit-or-miss genre, honestly - worse, it's got this really weird aesthetic based on being aware of hyper-consumerism or something, and a lot of people tend to mix it with other shit in attempts to be funny. Case in point: Simpsonwave.
    If you're interested in more, there's loads of mixes on youtube - you can tell they're for vaporwave because of the weird-ass fonts and the Japanese characters in the names.

Jazz:
    Trio Toykeat. Sample: Ab Fab.
    Scandinavian Jazz. Not sure if that's a genre, though. Heavy focus on piano. I can see why, because the pianist, Iiro Rantala, is crazy good.

Tigran Hamasyan. Sample: Drip.
    I have no idea what to call this except "good". Quite technical, to the point of going places I rather it didn't - but the piano/vocals combination is the main selling point here, and it works very well, IMO.

That's all for now. Should be able to find something you like in there, and if you don't there's a whole shitload of other genres I can still recommend.

Last edited: May 2, 2016
  3. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

4. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
  5. Myrrdin Emrys

High Score:
    Honestly, I never expected so many replies. Thanks BTT, Anarchy and Taure.

Let me take a moment to thank you all, unexpected and truly unprecedented reaction I just got here.

Taure, are you monitoring my browser history or something, because almost every single song I enjoy is on there. Except that *ahem* last one. If you were a girl, I'd fucking marry you.

BTT, you've got some good taste in music I can tell. Man Man is amazing! Silent Strike and Le Perv I enjoyed especially. I don't think I'll need any more songs at the time, quite a collection you've given me here.

Anarchy, although I don't like metal that much, or, I suppose, I don't listen to metal that much, it's quite a collection you've got there, and I liked Melodic Death Metal and Power Metal.

Once again, thank you guys. :D

6. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Supreme Mugwump

Man Man is pretty awesome. Thanks for the rec.

7. Trig

Trig Unspeakable

A few picks from my main playlist:

Dance with the Dead - Her Ghost (Their most recent album is just incredible)
    Daft Punk - Television rules the Nation
    Morcheeba - Crimson (This always struck me as a great James Bond intro song)
    Evidence - It wasn't Me (One of the few Hiphop artists that I do like)
    The White Stripes - Catch Hell Blues (So difficult to pick just one of their songs... Jolene? Bone Broke? Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground?)
    Massive Attack - Man Next Door
    N'To - Trauma (Worakls Remix) (I may have listened to this song for a few hours on repeat, it loops surprisingly well)
    Martyr - Distance
    Hermitude - Hyperparadise (Flume Remix)
    Duran Duran - Wild Boys
    ACDC - The Jack
    Gramatik - Just Jammin'
    Carpenter Brut - Wake up the President
    CryseHD - Hunters (That bass is something else)
    Pink Floyd - Welcome to the Machine (Wish You Were Here is clearly their best album)
    Radiohead - Talk Show Host (One of the very few Radiohead songs that I like, but boy do I like this one)
    Michael Jackson - Earth Song (Do I need to say anything?)
    Frank Sinatra - The Lady is a Tramp
    Ella Fitzgerald - Anything Goes
    The Supermen Lovers - Starlight
    Blind Melon - No Rain

8. Myrrdin Emrys

High Score:
    Thanks dude. I just looked at the post. Tried out some 3 songs. Very good.

9. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

10. Nuit

Nuit Dark Lord

11. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

12. Xantam

Xantam Denarii Host

13. Grubdubdub

Grubdubdub Supreme Mugwump

Indie/Folk Rock

Illinois - Sufjan Stevens. Maybe the best indie folk album out there. Very uplifting. It gets more rhythmic as it goes.

Lakehouse - Of Monsters And Men

Flume - Bon Iver. They have more popular songs, but this one has a special place for me. Very relaxed, very nostalgic.

Santa Fey - Beirut

Lost in My Mind - The Head and the Heart

Young Blood - The Naked and Famous

Cinder and Smoke - Iron & Wine

Big Jet Plane - Angus and Julia Stone

Indie Pop

The Call - theAngelcy

Warrant - Foster The People

River - Ibeyi

Fluorescent Adolescent - Kate Nash

Wine Red - The Hush Sound

Instrumental Rock/Jazz

Space Out - Tatran

Caravan - Buddy Rich. So I guess he is one of the genre's staple, but fuck it, I only started listening to him recently and if anybody else doesn't know him it's worth the recc.

Electronica/Dream-Pop

Low Roar - Low Roar
    A one-man band from Iceland making highly submersive dream-pop music. Link is for full album, as it should be listened to.

Walk in the Park - Beach House

Psychdelic Rock/Pop

Man It Feels Like Space Again - Pond. Awesome Video.
    Feels Like We Only Go Backwards - Tame Impala. Couldn't help myself, despite them being well known, because they're just that good.
    San Francisco - Foxygen

Funk/House

Message - Funk'n'stein

Jammin' - Laki Lan. A Polish band that should get more recognition imo.

14. Myrrdin Emrys

High Score:
    Odran, NuitTombee, Johnnyseattle, Xantam, Grubdubdub, if I started individually thanking you guys, this would be one long ass post. So I hope you guys'll be satisfied with a single 'Thank you.'

Words cannot express how much I love you guys.

15. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

16. Myrrdin Emrys

High Score:
  17. Zvohunter

Zvohunter Third Year

Obscure Sphinx - The Presence of Goddess Don't tell my girlfriend, but when I saw the band live on stage, I instantly fell in love with the vocalist. 15 minutes of awesome.
    Grubdubdub
    Oh crap, Łąki Łan on DLP. These guys are awesome, the last time I saw them was right after The Prodigy and, well, their show was better in every single way. Łąki Funk (meadow funk) is perfect when you're feeling down ^^ Here's a recording of their live performance.

Last edited: May 13, 2016
  18. Myrrdin Emrys

High Score:
  19. The-Hyphenated-One

The-Hyphenated-One Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

20. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

An old favorite of mine that never gets old is Rock of Ages.

Someone linked me to a new version of Sound of Silence a few days ago that I like quite a bit better than the original.

How about some Broadway? Defying Gravity.

Something unbearably cute? The video with Moses makes this one, so watch as well as listen.

And I have no idea why I like this random song, but I do... but I'm not sure if I'll still like it in a few days, if that makes sense? It's one of those songs that I like but can't decide if I should be embarrassed for liking. Aristotle and Averroes

Humor that is NSFW set to a somewhat catchy tune by the Oatmeal? Motherfucking Pterodactyl, yo.