1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Spider-Man Fics

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Invictus, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

I finished reading Marvel 1602 and watching Spectacular Spider-Man and I really want to read some good Spidey fics, from any universe (cartoons, games and even the movies). I just read Variant Strain, and wow. What an incredible fic. Any recs?

2. bakkasama

bakkasama Seventh Year

Well, I haven't read this one yet (it is on my waiting list along with variant strain) but just like VS it was recommended in the best of other fandoms threat.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9013287/1/Unnoticeable

Unnoticeable By: FrivolousThoughts As superheroes and super villains are growing in number by the day, Peter Parker is stuck juggling the choice between himself and the other personality occupying his life. Donning the famous red mask, he web-slings his way through a world with exciting opportunities as the wonderful, rather insane and Amazing Spider-Man! Amazing Spider-Man/the Avengers/various Marvel characters!
    Rated: Fiction T - English - Adventure/Humor - Peter P./Spider-Man, Gwen S., Captain America/Steve R., Iron Man/Tony S. - Chapters: 21 - Words: 253,725 - Reviews: 619 - Favs: 1,059 - Follows: 1,103 - Updated: Aug 3 - Published: Feb 15, 2013 - id: 9013287

3. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Unnoticable was bad and you should feel bad.

4. oakes

oakes Unspeakable DLP Supporter

To be perfectly honest it's the only true spider-man fic that's worth a damn. What did you even dislike about it?

5. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

To be perfectly honest, the writing is fucking terrible.

I mean, really?

I'm not going to say other people shouldn't enjoy it, but I personally can't get through the first chapter.

6. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

Yeah, my thought exactly. The writing is clunky, akward and simply doesn't work most of the times. It just doesn't flow right. Reading is a chore. Anyone has other recommendation?

7. Nuit

Nuit Dark Lord

Well, you've already mentioned Variant Strain. The only other one I enjoyed, that I remember off the top of my head, was Polarity. It's centered on Shocker though, which made me put off reading it for a while.

8. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    If you haven't read Polarity, you're missing out. Best Spiderman fic I've found, above even Variant Strain.

9. Eyron

Eyron Seventh Year

Does anyone have the sequel for polarity saved?

10. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    There was little to like. It had nothing particularly good or gripping. I only got as far as chapter 3. The BlackCat interactions put the final nail in the coffin.

11. The Mysterious Nobody

The Mysterious Nobody Auror

There were a few stories by TVfan which were pretty decent. He has the lore down and his writing is enjoyable, albeit passable at best.

AgentG had a few Spider-man stories too, they were among the most popular ones back in the day, but they haven't aged well.

Most of the fandom is badly written slash, or authors with decent ideas that either write badly, or abandon the stories a few chapters in for lack of feedback. A pity, really.

12. frantic

frantic Boosted

There's a pretty decent Spidey fic on AO3 where Peter gives up being Spiderman and ends up working for Tony after saving him at a bank robbery. I cannot for the life of me remember the name of it.

13. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Like, completely, or is just a second Thursday again?

14. Iztiak

I believe you're thinking of "Tangled Web."

@Republic Very unlikely that it's permanent, but the story isn't very far in yet.

15. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Most of the Spider-Man fics I've encountered have been pretty bad. Actually I think the best one has been The Shocker: Legit?, and while that uses a lot of Spider-Man's rogues gallery and side characters, Peter himself is a secondary character. Also it kind of falls apart towards the end as I remember. I did read early parts of Variant Strain, but the Prototype power he had really started to sicken me so I stopped reading.

There was one I read years ago called Twin Demons. It's a crossover between the Raimi Spider-Man movies and the 2004 Daredevil movie. Also partially uses the 2003 Hulk movie in parts. However at best I'd call it mediocre. If I remember right (and I probably don't) the writing was decent, but the romance angle was sappy and the main villains were Al-Qaeda, which is too topical in my opinion and just makes it feel like one of those "superheroes tackle the front page news!" types of things. I don't necessarily recommend it, but it's there for anyone to see for themselves.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
  16. Dellez

Dellez Seventh Year

It's been mentioned, but here's the link: Shocker: Legit? The Shocker tries to become a hero. Unfortunately, he forgets that he's pretty bad at most things. He stumbles into a conspiracy and it all goes whacky at the end. Pretty good.

I tried reading Unnoticeable. I tried for multiple chapters. I don't remember how many. I don't remember anything about the story other than The Black Cat had beef with Wilson Fisk. Other than that, nada.
    Words of praise if I ever heard any.

Polarity has been recommended already, and you should read it. It is the single greatest Spider-Man/Marvel work of fanfiction. Shame about the sequel.

17. bakkasama

bakkasama Seventh Year

Ok, taking Unnoticeable out of the to read list and adding polarity.

18. Iztiak

I decided to re-read The Shocker: Legit, but part 20 seems to have broken for me. Does anyone have a link to another archived version?

19. doodle

doodle Muggle

20. Owimbowé

Owimbowé Fourth Year

Wow, I've been looking for this fic for years, thanks! :)