1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Spider-Man: Homecoming

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Klackerz, Dec 9, 2016.

1. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Rather it's Ganke Lee, the best friend of Miles Morales in comics, renamed as Ned Leeds and added to Peter's supporting cast.

2. CrackedMind

CrackedMind Minister of Magic

Though Ned Leeds was a reporter at the Bugle who eventually ended up with Betty Brant, Peter's ex, and was brainwashed into becoming the Hobgoblin/being a fall guy for him (I dont really remember the storyline all that well).

So it'd be interesting to see whether any of that plays into his character.

3. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

That movie is 37 years old. The kid is allowed to call it old.

4. joshuafaramir

joshuafaramir Banned

Are we gonna have Marisa Tomei as cast for Aunt May again? That lady is 52 years old! what a MILF.

5. Garden

Garden Supreme Mugwump

I'm not a fan of the what I've seen of the trailer. The love interest looks interesting, or at least, different than MJ which is refreshing, but the friend..."But you a kid." Ugh, I hate that line. I'd prefer an encouraging pseudo-sidekick, personally.

6. Celestin

A short clip from the film.

It there is one thing that this film already doing better than rest, it's having Peter and his friends be like normal teenagers.

7. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    "You know what she's like, if she finds out people are trying to kill me every night she won't let me do this anymore!"

Best line.

8. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Caught an advance screening tonight. It's very good, easily the best Spidey film since at least Spider-Man 2, if not better. Michael Keaton is one of the best villains they've had in the MCU, behind Zemo but probably on a par with Loki (albeit without the multi-film development) and Tom Holland is fantastic. There isn't as much Iron Man/Tony Stark as the trailers might lead you to believe, although he does have some good moments that haven't been in any of the trailers I've seen. Decent plot that's not as OTT as other entries, but still delivers plenty of action. And it's really funny, although I'm tempted to say that the best joke is the second stinger (there's one mid credits, and one post).

Couple of little issues. The film relies heavily on two things with regard to Peter. First of all, massive awkwardness as comedy, such that I occasionally found myself cringing into my hands (eg, a scene where he's trapped into an incredibly embarrassing situation because Ned has a big mouth). Obviously, some will just find that sort of thing hilarious, but it's not my cup of tea, although in fairness I could entirely relate to how uncomfortable Peter felt in that scene. Secondly, and on a related note, chances are that if something can go badly for him at any given moment, it's going to, whether the consequences are social embarrassment, detention or physical injury. Again, in fairness, that's very much a staple of the character, but it really felt like they were laying it on a bit thick. Thirdly, there was at least one plot twist that I didn't see coming, exactly, but when it did happen I just kinda went "Oh of course that happened". It was foreshadowed quite smoothly, but it was also kind of a generic twist to take.

I'm talking about the Vulture turning out to be Liz's dad

All in all though, thoroughly enjoyable.

9. Infidel

Infidel Auror

I watched the movie yesterday night. It was a lot of fun. There were a couple of serious topics and that made the movie more enjoyable.
    At the start of the movie, when Stark industries gets the contract to clear all the alien material, I could really feel for the guy.

It highlights the present economic situation where small time operators are loosing to large companies. They managed to portray the villain as more of a regular guy trying to keep his family in the lifestyle they are used to rather than a megalomaniac trying to destroy the world.

In spite of it being set in school with a bunch of teenagers, they managed to not make it too cliched. I wholeheartedly recommend that you guys watch it. Tom Holland did a great job.

10. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So my thoughts

What the F***!!!

Best part of the movie. Absolutely hilarious. Also, patience is a virtue.

As for the majority of the movie, it was solid. The villain was very well done. I like the relationship between him and Peter. The other highschoolers were a bit annoying, but not terrible.

I think Tom Holland is the right person to play Spiderman. I'm excited for the character, but this movie I found him to be annoying. I understand why. He has to grow. They are playing the long game with him. If he is going to one day take the reigns as leader of the MCU, he needs to have solid character development. I'm eager to see what this Peter looks like when he is experienced. As he is now however, it was only in the last fifteen minutes of the movie that I started to like him.

He's a much more naive and "good" superhero when compared to the rest of the MCU heroes. Its going to be interesting to see how how of that develops.

My biggest negatives:

MJ =Michelle. No. Just no. No to the nine levels of hell no. Hell to the no. Mary Jane Watson is a red head caucasian who wants to be a model and an actress. Not an african american social justice warrior. I'm sorry this is just so wrong for the character on too many levels.

Flash: Another screwed up character. Flash Thompson is a jock bully, not a rich kid with an attitude. Flash is supposed to grow into a good and solid character, not this wimp. He joins the military later on for crying out loud.

All in all, a good movie, but I cannot stand what they have done to Mary Jane's character.

11. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    They gave us a black Spidey, why not a non-White MJ? I don't see how this affects the narrative other than giving us a cool surprise. Can you imagine what it would've played out like if we'd had a white red head off to the side of the whole movie?

This is nowhere near the comic levels of shitty writing re: fem!Thor.

Movie was balla. Steve Rogers is a shit. Dan Glover and Hannibal Burress were great in their bit roles. Was not expecting the Stark and Potts bit at the end.

12. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Best spidey film by a mile, and definitely a contender for best marvel film so far for me.

13. Celestin

I would argue that it's exactly the same as with fem!Thor for the same reason. Like when decided to make Thor into a title instead of just a name, now we have MJ that is not Mary Jane which is even weirder. Why not have her name be Mary Jane if that who she's going to be. Or if she's not then let her be her own character.

14. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Basically this.

Black Spidey is not a proper analogy. Miles morales is his own character and absolutely brilliant, but changing peter's character wpuld have resulted in too much backlash.

Zendaya's character was fine as she was; I would totally have been fine with her being someone new or maybe someone like a future black cat.

MJs red hair is iconic of her. It's part of the character.

Making her MJ that onjust felt shoehorned in. Her name isn't even Mary Jane. It's Michelle!

I was perfectly fine with the lack of Mary Jane in this movie.

15. Zill

Zill First Year

I caught an early showing a few days ago and I absolutely loved it. I think it had some of the best comedic timing of any superhero movie that I've seen. I think I actually laughed harder at some of the bits in Homecoming then I did at Deadpool.

The Vulture was a surprisingly compelling antagonist. I thought his costume was really cool looking. Also his swooping pick up and drop fighting style just worked for me.

I'll admit I only made the connection that he was Liz's father when Peter and Aunt May pulled up at their house for the Homecoming right before we got the reveal. I guess ended up being the payoff for the rather unfunny scene where Ned said that Peter knew Spiderman early in the movie. Maybe it was just me, but, that whole scene felt sort of derivative of the similar scene with the Green Goblin in the original Spiderman Movie.

I'll admit that I was hoping that there would have been a bit more mentorship stuff between Tony and Peter, but, not having Tony around for the entire movie was likely the better choice. A little disappointed that the scene from the trailer with the two of them flying didn't show up at all though.

The scene that annoyed me the most in the movie was the reveal that Michelle was supposed to be MJ. I'll admit that I don't read a lot of comics and I'm not super in to the nitty gritty of the Spiderman mythos, but, her characterization was completely different then any other characterization of Mary Jane that I've seen.

Honestly, I really liked her character throughout the entire movie though. I thought that she was a lot of fun in all of her scenes. I'd just assumed that she was supposed to be an original character. With the MJ reveal I'm assuming we're going to end up with some romance between her and Peter in Homecoming 2, but, I actually would have been completely fine with it if they hadn't done the MJ reveal and just left her as an original character and gone ahead with whatever they have planned. To me the "all my friends call me MJ line" was a misstep that made me cringe more then got me excited. Sort of like the "my first name is Robin" line in The Dark Knight Rises.

16. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    My thoughts on That mirror this...

Can we just put spoiler tags on the freaking thread please?

17. Rhaegar I

Rhaegar I Death Eater

Well, I saw it last night, and I really liked it.

Now, about the whole MJ thing. Personally, I didn't mind the least. Yes,
    it has nothing to do with her original character, but is it really that big of a deal? I found Michelle way more interesting than Kirsten Dunst, and even before the reveal I actually kind of wanted her and Peter to end up together. I'll admit, it's a little shoehorned in to suddenly make her MJ, but I'm still willing to go with it.

And besides, don't forget this is a comic book movie. And comic book movies constantly change massive details for one reason or another. In the Tobey Maguire Spiderman,
    he could shoot webs out of his own hands without any tech at all. In Doctor Strange,
    Wong went from an assistant/Asian stereotype to a badass librarian. So if it bothers you that much that MJ isn't a redhead, just pretend she's just Michelle and her own character.

18. JErosion

JErosion DA Member

I just assumed That Michelle is Michelle Gonzales, a character that Peter Parker has locked horns with and occasionally boned in Comics

19. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Just read that Feige said in an interview that Michelle's nickname was just an homage, nothing more.

20. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Just got back from Spider-Man: Homecoming.

I had a blast, one of the best Marvel movies so far definitely.

Also, thanks for the lesson in Patience, Steve.