1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Spiderman [PS4]

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Gengar, Apr 7, 2018.

1. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Confirmed September 7th Release!

Game Informer is doing a bunch of stuff covering it for this month's issue and I'm getting so excited it's ridiculous!

Some highlights How web swinging works. I love the emphasis on keeping your momentum and not constantly interrupting it like in past Assassin's Creed games.

Other stuff I've picked up that I am loving from the coverage:
    • Spiderman is a mechanical engineering genius, so of course there's crafting. He crafts gadgets to use (of which I haven't seen many yet) and he crafts new suits. Each suit has it's own power and apparently there's dozens - one example is a Punk Rock Spidey that has an AoE attack on it.
    • Like a power in a certain suit but don't particularly like how it looks? You can take the 'core' out of that suit, the power it gives, and put it in a suit you find aesthetically pleasing.
    • You play as Peter Parker and Mary Jane in this game - not just Spidey (and maybe not just them - there's a lot of theories as to what you're doing as MJ, but all we know for sure is she's working at the DB as a journalist and she's seen giving Peter instructions - and she knows Peter = Spidey. I'm hoping something like the investigation parts in the Arkham games, but MJ is the one doing it.
    • He's been Spiderman for 8 years. No Origin story here.
    • And the best part? There's an interact button (which I think is also the attack button). Obviously you can't attack civillians, so when you go to do just that, attack changes to 'interract' which does things like finger guns, saluting, joking, taking selfies. That may sound dumb and insignificant (and hilarious), but I think it's a small feature that's SUPER important to the tone of this game and I love it.
    • It's locked at 30 on both consoles (unfortunately). I was hoping for a 60 fps version on pro at the expense of fidelity. Maybe it's still the case.

I can't wait. It's so hard controlling my hype for this game...

Oh, and when the creative director was asked if Venom was in the game, he answered - 'Venom is a cool character.' Do with that what you will ;)

2. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    I'm hyping myself up over this game because I loved PS2/PSP Spiderman games back in the day. What we've seen of the gameplay on this one looks very very good.

Some reasons that I'm not frothing at the mouth with hype:
    1) The suit. I'm not even going to pretend that this isn't or shouldn't be an issue; I want my protagonist to not look ridiculous. I don't get why they had to create a completely new suit for this. Hopefully we'll be able to craft/equip the traditional one.
    2) Too much investment into 'cutscene action'. A lot of games in the last few years do this, where you end up with a percentage of cutscene bits during fights that actually exceeds interactive gameplay. Hopefully that won't happen here.
    3) The fear that we're being shown literally all the good bits, and all that will be left for us to discover are the bad ones.

3. Gengar

High Score:
    Watch the coverage, pretty much all your fears are assuaged.

And you can craft dozens of suits... I just said that.

The white spider thing on his chest you've seen in all the game's marketing so far isn't the suit he starts out with (you start out with the classic Spiderman suit). They've said there's story significance to the 'white spider' though that they don't want to spoil.

The guys who went over to Insomniac to cover the game were concerned about the QTE we saw in the original E3 reveal. They say it's rare, and all the combat I've seen so far has him doing all the acrobatic shit at your command. The combat looks like a stylish Arkham, finishers and all.

4. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    I wasn't a huge fan of Arkham's combat, or the fact that it spilled over to many other games since then. On the other hand it undeniably works well enough, so eh. We'll see how it's presented.

Happy to hear about the traditional suit. I'd heard about the crafting, but that tends to be an oversold feature that is modifications more than anything else and even if not, I'd assumed it'd be for even weirded/outlandish suits. Why would the game allow you to craft the original and -presumably- default suit with no modifiers?

Still, hopeful about this.

5. Villanelle

Villanelle Groundskeeper

High Score:
    This is long overdue. There’s been a series of disappointing Spider-Man games for years. The apprehension is totally normal, haha.

The open city does remind me a lot of the PS2/XBOX Spider-Man 2 game. The web swinging looks like a direct successor to the ‘02 game. If I’m remembering right, one could indeed do wall runs even back then.

The craft your own suit feature was present in the Spider-Man 2 game on the PS1. It was more primitive, but the basic idea was the same. Pick any look you like and choose up to 3 “powers”, like enhanced strength and unlimited webbing. I wonder what kind of stuff Pete will be able to do with the symbiote.

From what I’ve seen of the gameplay videos, this looks promising. It’s like equal parts Arkham and Uncharted. Or the newer Tomb Raider. The AU looks interesting as well. Watanabe’s in there which is cool. Hope Spock’s girlfriend isn’t there tho. I try to forget that ever happened.

The Witcher 3 and this game are the only two times in the last few years I’ve considered acquiring a console.

6. AceOfSpades

AceOfSpades Slug Club Member DLP Supporter

I've been pretty hyped about this game for awhile now. One of my friends does character models for Insomniac and they keep making him miss Pathfinder sessions to work on this. The web slinging looks like it really captures what made me love the older Spiderman games. Lots of momentum and efficient movement.

7. Gengar

High Score:
    The crafting seems very appropriate given who Peter is. He's crafting gadgets and suits from what I gather. I think some are showcased in the gameplay videos released so far. Web bombs, obv his slingers etc.

The only suit power I think I've heard of is the one from the Punk Rock (?) Spidey outfit that emits an aoe disruption wave thing.

8. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

This game has almost everything I would want from a Spidey game. The only missing thing is team-ups and interactions with other superheroes.

9. Gengar

High Score:
    I don't think that'll be in the main game - (though Miles is in the game, so maybe some Spidey team up?), but they mentioned post-release DLC. Bet we get something there.

10. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Kek. Just saw that Yuri Lowenthal (Voice of English Dub Sasuke) is doing peter's voice.

11. Gengar

High Score:
    Hurgh! We're days away!

Review embargoes end on Tuesday (US) I think, and you bet your ass I'm going to be dusting off all the gaming podcasts I threw by the wayside just to hear as much about this game as possible.

Can't. Fucking. Wait!

Honestly, I'm gonna be spending the first few hours of my game time just swinging around the city and getting all the collectables XD

12. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

This would be the first time I’ve preordered a game in... hell, this might be the first time I’ve preordered a game.

It wouldn’t be a lie to say that it was a strong motivator behind my decision to recently buy a PS4 off a mate. That and all the PS4 exclusives that have made buying an X1 one of my greatest regrets.

Gravity Rush and Infamous: SS have certainly me a taste of running/flying around a city for shits and giggles.

13. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    This does look brilliant, and happily I've got the day it comes out off work, so I can really get into it straight off. I am slightly disappointed that they've already announced a launch date for DLC (sometime in October), as while I generally don't have a problem with extra content, announcing before the original release that it'll be ready barely a month after that release does trigger my cash grab senses. Still, that minor quibble aside, I've got high expectations, and every confidence they'll be met.

14. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

As much as I'm waiting for this game, I will wait for full edition with all patches and DLCs before buying it, as I do with all games these days.

All the comments from people who claim they already played it point out it will be an excellent Spider-Man game, but it's probably won't be a good Peter Parker game.

I probably mentioned it already, but handling Peter's life in and outside of the costume that what is missing from all Spidey games and I would like someone to finally do it. Maybe a system where as Peter you can make something like social links from Persona games, but being Spidey makes it harder because you must sometimes decide between stopping Shocker and meeting with your friends in a club.

15. MrBucket

MrBucket Fifth Year

I've been keeping up to date with this game and it's looking really great. There's a bunch of 10 min gameplay videos on /r/SpidermanPS4 that make the game look like a lot of fun. I'm also happy that changing your suit is simply going to the pause menu rather than some location on the map.

16. Gengar

High Score:
    holy fuck the iron spidey suit combat with the extra limbs looks so awesome!

17. MrBucket

MrBucket Fifth Year

Reviews are looking good, gameplay I've seen is looking good — this is shaping up to be the best superhero game ever.

18. Gengar

High Score:
    The only real cons in hearing are regarding the clunky, non-spidey parts - which i expected.

19. MrBucket

MrBucket Fifth Year

The three main cons I'm seeing is that, the repetitive combat, and the dull side quests. All of which I expected. I don't care. I'd pay $60 just to swing around.

20. Gengar

High Score:
    Repetitive combat is probably from people playing on easy or just not engaging with the systems I think.

It doesn't jive with what I'm hearing about the sheer amount of gadgets, powers, abilities and enemies.