1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Spin the Rails Series by Progman - T - Legend of Korra

Discussion in 'Anime, Cartoons, and Comics' started by MonkeyEpoxy, Sep 7, 2015.

1. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

Title: Spin the Rails
    Author: Progman
    Rating: T
    Genre: Romance, Adventure, Angst
    Fandom: Avatar: Legend of Korra
    Pairings: Korra/Asami, Bolin/Opal
    Summary: A series of problems, and a series of solutions. Korra applies traditional methods, while Asami turns to more modern styles of approach. One isn't better than the other. Sometimes, you take things on faith. Other times, you have to be critical. It can get a little confusing when both methods are equally right.
    Link: http://archiveofourown.org/series/188699

First off, I'm linking the archive of our own link, because it's a tad more convenient with respect to series like this. Progman has crossuploaded it to FFN as well, if that's more your thing. It's a quick google away. Second, I recommend reading everything in the order presented in that series page. The three oneshots, the main story, then the last one shots.

So yeah. This was rec'd in a story search thread, and it deserves far better than being buried in that section or an almost recommended. Basic jist: the first three oneshots are character building pieces, two focusing on Asami, one focusing on Korra, that start from the S4 episode Korra Alone. The one where she's wondering the world being stalked by a negative spirit manifesting itself as Korra in the avatar state. The main meat, Repairs, Retrofits & Upgrades starts after the finale when Korra and Asami link hands and walk into the newly created spirit portal.

Revealing the main conflict does some skullfucking to the mystery elements, so all I'll say is spirit vines + electricity = weapons of mass destruction that da terrorists get.

The writing is good, meaning I have no complaints, but I'm hardly the first person you should go to when trying to glean technical writing skill.

Characterization is this story's strength. All of the canon characters are nailed perfectly in tone, action, and thought, and the added bits of character work stemming from action/reaction in this story are well done as well. Kuvira, Korra, Varrick, and Lin, especially, are spectacular. The overall story tone fits with the cartoon's, if a bit darker. Zhu Li is still awesome, so no worries there. Do the thing. President Raiko is presented a bit as a hothead jackass, but that's close enough to canon to make it okay.

On the angst, yeah it's there, mainly from Asami and her daddy issues, but it's handled well, with Kuvira playing a nice emotional foil.

To be honest, I love this story. I'm not sure if I'd like it as much if there wasn't such a dearth of Korra fanfics out there (ones that don't focus on bullshit like non bending AUs, fuckin high school, or just general dumb shit), but I know I'd still think it's easily library quality. As it is, 4.5/5, rounded up.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2015
  2. Zill

Zill First Year

As the person who originally recommended this in the story search thread, I whole heartily second MonkeyEpoxy's recommendation of this series. I've read a decent amount of Legend of Korra fanfic and I would be willing to argue that this series is one of, if not the best work in the fandom and 100% deserves a place in the library.

As MonkeyEpoxy said, this series shines with it's characterization. It also makes use of a good portion of the extended cast of the series with everybody getting a chance to be in the spotlight. While slightly darker then the original series, Spin the Rails does have a very original flavour feel. For example, Repairs, Retrofits and Upgrades would easily work as a hypothetical season five of the series.

Just two small asides, I slightly disagree with this series being marked as complete. Repairs, Retrofits and Upgrades the story which comprises the bulk of the series is currently marked as having another six chapters remaining. So, excluding any possible sequels, we're getting close to the end, but, not quite there yet. Also, I would recommend reading this series on Archive of Our Own as the Fanfiction.net version is currently lagging two chapters behind. The Fanfiction.net version is also missing the oneshot Night of the Turtleducks which was posted as an Archive of Our Own exclusive.

After recommending this series, it's currently jumped to the top of my queue for a reread as it has been a while since I've read it in full. I might write a more detailed review on the series in the future.

Rating: 5/5

3. MonkeyEpoxy

Yeah, my bad listing or thinking of it as done. Not sure what I was thinking. That last arc closing off just felt.. nice, I guess. Heh.

I also fucked up the title. T, not M. Meh.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
  4. LogicalPremise

LogicalPremise First Year DLP Supporter

Progman's stories are always a blast to read, but the subtle context and the weirdness in changes, in viewpoint and in making you think are why I like his stories the best.

I'm still in the middle of going through the original TLA series, so I'm not 100% on a lot of things but even not knowing the story they are fascinating to read.

Definitely 5/5

5. MonkeyEpoxy

So the main part of this story just ended, go get caught up if you're behind.

It's a good.

6. MonkeyEpoxy

So, with the recent Avatar: The Last Airbender hype coming up because it's on Netflix now, I decided to reread this.

And it's just fucking magnificent. The angst will be too much for some. The characters lose time after time, interspersed with the occasional minor victory. The payoff is so goddamn cathartic I legitimately gave off a Cliched Exhale.

Give it a go if you're thirsty for A:TLA/TLOK fanfics after a Netflix rewatch of ATLA. It's a goddamn shame that the original go of this rec didn't get the readership it deserves.

Characterizations and abilities and shit are very canonical. The overarching tale could be the 5th season of The Legend of Korra.

There's some hot shit though that wouldn't make it to TV even if Korrasami is canon. But eh.

5/5. Completely.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020