1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Spoony does FFX-2

Discussion in 'The Humor Mill' started by Cruentus, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Cruentus

Cruentus Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

For those of you who don't know. Spoony is an amateur movie/game critic that has his own website and also posts videos on Guy with Glasses, personally I find him much funnier then Critic.

His reviews of both FF8 and 10 were rather infamous, and hilarious, and finally he's hitting X-2

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/spoonyone/final-fantasy-x-2

Enjoy.

2. The Berkeley Hunt

The Berkeley Hunt Headmaster

I've been following his reviews for some time, a very witty perspective, and a nice counter to That Guy With The Glasses, whom I dislike intensely. Also, his Lets Play of SWAT 4 was possibly the most hilarious thing I've ever seen.

These reviews, while very harsh, do present positive as well as negative comments, but most of them are pointing out how stupid, nonsensical and illogical the series can be. If you found all the Final Fantasy after 7 stupid, watch these.

3. ElDee

ElDee Unspeakable

What about if you also found 7 stupid?

4. Poytin

Poytin The Arby's Hipster DLP Supporter

"Bitch I have a gun. I have a bomb!"

5. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

FF7 is horribad. The same way you say a book or fanfiction is aged and terrible and you're embarrassed you ever liked it and you try to distance yourself from the fanatical fans that still like it, that's FF7.

6. Coyote

Coyote He howls n' stuff

Meh. FF7's execution was shit, but gets points for having the balls to basically be a love letter towards green terrorism. I mean, get right down to it, it's hard to find a mainstream game beloved by a fuckton of fans that's got the sheer balls FF7 did.

7. The Berkeley Hunt

The Berkeley Hunt Headmaster

*Flashbang* "YOU FOOL! Why do you throw like a twelve year old girl?"

Heh, too young to have played FF7 when it was released, but I played FF12...and liked it. I still hated the main guy though, what a twat. I think after that one game I exhausted all of my reserves of tolerance for the series, and now I can't play any without raging at how shit they are. I got about an hour into X before throwing away the disc in disgust. I couldn't get into 7 or any others either. Final Fantasy is dead to me at the moment.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  8. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Wtf, FF7 was and is awesome. If they remade it with updated graphics for the PS3 (or PS4) I would sell my body to buy a PS3 and that game.

Though, a few more towns on that World Map would be nice. Maybe some new content in the form of more sidequests. Not sure if I would want voice acting added or not.

Also, I kinda want to replay FF8. I have something of a love-hate relationship with that game. I loved the atmosphere/feel of the game. I also loved the story of the first disc. After disc 1 the game rather plummeted in quality, though. And there were no good side quests.

9. mknote

mknote 1/3 of the Note Bros. DLP Supporter

I will kill you. It will be messy. It will be painful.

I've followed Spoony and all of TGWTG for about as long as I've been on DLP. I'm actually thinking about trying to get on the website as a reviewer. Personally, Spoons is my favorite; his reviews are always hilarious, and it's awesome to see pop a blood vessel at the stupidity of the things he reviews. Still, I do disagree with him on things: I loved FF8, and I find Bay's Transformers trilogy to be enjoyable.

I'm wondering at what all of those bits at the end of the two parts mean... Is it tying into Linkara's videos?

10. JimmyCranberry

JimmyCranberry High Inquisitor

[Insert loyal and impassioned - but altogether futile - defense of new(er) FF's here.]

I'm not even going to try and justify why I enjoy the newer ones... but maybe that's the point?

To be frank, I can freely admit that they have gotten far worse even in the 'short' decade I've followed the series. XIII-2, from the previews, looks pretty damn awful. You'd think they at least tried to evolve the game a little and to bring an interesting story back since they've gone through all the trouble of creating a sequel, but the story looks pathetic and the battle system unchanged. I much preferred X (hence the sig) and XII, but maybe that's because I was, like, 11 when I started playing them.

As for VII, I never had the chance to play it when it came out and instead tried it later. I found it to be quite entertaining, and I can definitely see why it was so popular. Compared to some of the RPG quality out or coming out now, though (Skyrim :awesome), it certainly does not match up, but that's to be expected.

As for the review, I lol'd. The man makes good points. Not even going to try and defend X-2. Only reason my fic includes it is 'coz I wanted to maintain the canon storyline as much as I could.

I think I'll watch more of these reviews... EDIT: have done, almost fell off my chair laughing.

11. Silens Cursor

Silens Cursor The Silencer DLP Supporter

Somehow, I'm not surprised at all - you strike me as the archetypical TGWTG-fanboy.

That being said, I discovered the site last year and I won't lie and say that I don't occasionally browse or watch a few of the videos, and I find it pretty damn amusing to watch how the site's dynamic has changed over the years. The Critic hasn't done anything worth a damn in months, Linkara ranges from excellent to meh, and Spoony's quality spans the entire range from pretty damn funny to just plain awful. Also, TGWTG's video game commentary is unquestionably shit, and I long ago stopped paying attention to it.

Generally, the only two I really follow are the Cinema Snob (and his current movie reviews with his friends, which are fucking hilarious), Todd In The Shadows (because I'm a music guy), and Mues over on TGWTG's competitor Reviewtopia.

12. Vira

Vira Third Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I’ve been following Spoony and the TGWTG crew for about two years now, and I admit that my enthusiasm has waned for most of the critics. I still like the Nostalgia Chick and most of Spoony’s stuff (his FFX review didn’t really impress me, however), but I only watch the Nostalgia Critic if he’s reviewing something I recognize, I’ve pretty much ditched Linkara’s newer stuff because of all the storylines, and I ignore all of the game reviewers these days.

The other ones that have kept my interest so far are Paw (I don’t know why this guy isn’t more popular, even his oldest stuff is entertaining), Todd in the Shadows (he rarely bores me), Mike J. (his demeanor and random comments about England are just perfect), Cinema Snob (awesome even when out-of-character), and Phelous (his humor takes some time getting used to, but he’s usually at least decent).

13. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

I mostly follow Spoony, Critic and Chick. Spoony's the most entertaining, while Critic I usually hit up for his videos of the latest movies (after the Hobo ones). As for Chick, I'll be honest: I watch for Nella being awesomely funny and NC's tits, because she herself is rarely that entertaining. Nella seems to carry the show, to be honest.

Most of the rest tend to do some obscure stuff (to me) and while I occasionally drop in to see Linkara explode over bad comics, his tendency as of late to include his girlfriend in a good few of his videos has turned me off. Power to the guy for having a love-life, but her voice is just so irritating.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011