1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Spring 2017 Anime Season

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Pure Infinity, Mar 31, 2017.

1. Pure Infinity

Pure Infinity High Inquisitor

The Spring 2017 anime season starts tomorrow, and so far the line up looks rather interesting. A lot of studios decided to produce sequels at the same time, oddly enough. For example: Berserk is getting a second season. And yes, it still looks like shit.

The shows airing this season can be found here.

The most popular shows on MAL going into the season are:

Shingeki no Kyojin Season 2: The sequel to the extremely popular Attack on Titan. Personally wasn't too big on the first season, but it's definitely worth watching. Apparently there's only going to be twelve episodes because of a staff shortage.
    2. Boku no Hero Academia 2nd Season: Second season My Hero Academy, which is one of the best shounen manga adaptions ever. As someone who reads the manga - the second season is going to be even better than the first.
    3. DanMachi:
    Sword Oratoria
    : Side story to DanMachi taking place during season one, this time following Aiz Wallenstein. It's like what Railgun is to Index, except Aiz is shit, and DanMachi is as well.
    4. Boruto: Naruto Next Generations: Sequel to Naruto that follows his son, Boruto; a character that is somehow less likable than Sasuke Uchiha.
    5. Saenai Heroine no Sodatekata ♭: Second season to "How to Raise a Boring Girlfriend", a harem anime that follows a loser otaku making a game. All I remember about it is that I dropped it after two episodes.

Also of note is Eromanga-sensei, an adaption of a light novel written by the author of Oreimo (yes, that Oreimo). This time, the siblings aren't related though. Which makes it okay, technically.

So... what're you guys planning on watching this season?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  2. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Will watch:
    Yu☆Gi☆Oh! VRAINS. Nearly made it to the end of Arc-V, so I'll give it another shot.

Will check out and probably drop after 3 episodes:
    Clockwork Planet, Rokudenashi Majutsu Koushi to Akashic Records,Sin: Nanatsu no Taizai, Tsuki ga Kirei, Seikaisuru Kado.

3. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Found an interesting website in = http://senpai.co/discover

It's like.. tinder for the new season of anime. Give you the description of the anime and then you swipe to put it on a "watch" or "do not watch" list.

Also: Damn, dude, be more negative about the season in the opening post. :p

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  4. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    First glance, only Attack on Titan season 2 seem interesting to me, but hopefully some reccs here will change my mind.

5. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Given the long wait, the first ep of AoT was underwhelming as fuck.

Also, I think the animation has taken a slight hit in terms of quality; threre doesn't seem to be as much movement in any given scene.

6. Rehio

High Score:
    From what I recall of the first season, the animation quality was always pretty bad in AoT.

[​IMG]

7. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Didn't the Attack on Titan manga jump right off the edge of the retard cliff recently? I saw some very concerning summaries and discussions around.

I thought the first season was decent, but frankly I'm not too interested in continuing it.

8. joshuafaramir

joshuafaramir Banned

Boku no Hero is definitely something to watch out for if you are a fan of the shounen genre and looking for some fun.

Aside from that, there's nothing else... Except maybe Kizumonogatari 3 might come out.

9. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

I'm pretty sure I read it's going to come out on BR in July.

And I just discovered that Owarimonogatari 2nd Season is going to come out in Summer too which very nice and earlier than I expected. :)

10. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Saw the first episode of the new Attack on Titan season. It was decent enough. Still curious on the titan mystery and the deaths are still grisly and convey how helpless the humans can be.

Hopefully, the story delivers later on. Have rather high expectations on the various mysteries in the show at this point.

11. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm not gonna lie, I like Danmachi, lol.

Following Aiz for a season and going through the same plot again sounds like a move someone would make if they run out of source material though. Did the author quit/die or something?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

12. Rehio

High Score:
    It doesn't really follow Aiz through the same plot. They connect briefly at times, but for the most part this story is completely separate and focuses on Aiz and her guild as they battle stuff in deeper floors than we've seen in the main.

I think they get more connected farther into Aiz's plot, if I recall correctly?

Plenty of interesting stuff this season. Should be neat, but we'll see what falls off after the first couple episodes. I think I'd narrowed it down to like.. 4 shows I actually wanted to follow last season?

13. kira and light

kira and light Seventh Year

Got curious and watched Boruto episode 1 as expected it is a piece of shit even worse than Cursed Child.

Boruto is probably one of the most dislikeable charcters I have seen all he can do is bitch about Naruto it's as if they think we have Alzheimers, we get the point.

All the future plot developments look awful with them even going even farther away from being Ninjas, Boruto getting a hax powerup and bullshit Ninjutsu science remix weapons.

Even if the 4th ninja war was a trainwreck it atleast had occasional fun moments and was atleast a flashy mess. This is boring as fuck all characters are carbon copies of their parents without a thought put to them.

It's just so dissapointing the Naruto world and battle system are amazing with so much potential and to see it constantly getting worse is just sad.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  14. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

In my opinion Aiz side manga is definitely better than the original one. Bell is a horrid character, and his Protag Aura makes everyone too close to him shit too. Aiz is interesting if flat, and the manga does a really good job of showing the relationships in the Loki familia, by far the most interesting group of characters in the manga. It does turn to shit later in as it's stops doing that and just does grinding.

Well, at least Danmachi isn't Gate, the other Otaku Fantasy masturbation. Or *shudders* Re:Monster or The Gamer. God those are shit.

15. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Honestly, I watch for the OppaiLoli.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

16. Cyclops

Cyclops Unspeakable

Spring 2017 anime chart

Boruto - To be honest, I stopped watching Naruto around the time he got involved in all of the battles in the 4th Shinobi World War by sending clones to every battlefield. But I have lurked in the manga thread so I know about how it all ended. I've never seen the Boruto movie though

I decided to give the Boruto series a chance and after three episodes... its not bad. But it does have some very annoying flaws.

For what I like about it? I like some of the new characters like Shikadai, Denki, and Iwabe as well as seeing old characters like Shino and Shikamaru. I like the Academy aspect of the setting, seeing the new characters that are not overpowered gods. Its interesting to see the effect peace has had on the villaige technology-wise and on the Academy curriculum. I also find myself interested in Boruto's home life, which is odd because I dislike both his character and Naruto in this series.

I don't like how annoying and borderline retarded Bolt is. He is just as obnoxious as young Naruto and his voice is as grating as Naruto's dub voice. The only time he doesn't annoy me much is when he has real conversations with Denki and Shikadai, and his reaction to Naruto neglecting his family.

I honestly can't believe Naruto's attitude in this show. He can't spare a single clone to spend time with his family? I get that being Hokage is busy work, but using a Shadow Clone can give him some at least some time with his family. The most recent episode where Bolt, Hinata, and his sister are sitting down to eat dinner and Naruto comes home exhausted, basically ignores his family and goes straight to bed. Its just stupid. It'll be interesting to see what kind of fics pop up concerning this family is this goes on long. Are Naruto-bashing fics inbound?

Another thing I don't like is all of the technology around. It removes a lot of the mystique and fantasy elements from the setting. Its the same as what I remember Legend of Korra, tech replacing what made the original special in the first place.

On a final note, I have no idea why Sarada and that other white guy have a big push in the OP & ED. So far characters like the nameless Class Rep have had more of a role.

Re:Creators - An anime where a bunch of fictional characters end up in the real world? Count me in.

So far we have a mecha anime protagonist, an NPC from an RPG, and a magical girl. All three of them all girls and all the most well developed characters. Seeing their different reactions to being fictional was great. I especially liked how the magical girl is a bit naive and wants to forces her creators to write her world as a better place so no one gets hurt. Her reaction to the brutality of her attacks in the real world made me feel for her.

The music in this show is great and gets me pumped.

Right now the biggest problem with this show, as with most anime, is the generic male MC. He's annoying and is only there to be the real world connection to fictional characters as well as give the fictional characters a place to stay. As a character, he lacks presence and is a waste of screen-time.

Still, the show is pretty great so far despite him and I'm really looking forward to the next episode.

Those are the only to shows I"ve watched so far this season, but I plan on watching AoT season 2 and checking out Sword Oratoria and Rokudenashi Majutsu Koushi to Akashic Records.

What anime are you guys watching this season?

17. Rehio

High Score:
  18. Cyclops

Cyclops Unspeakable

Oops. I only saw the winter thread. My bad.

19. Cyclops

Cyclops Unspeakable

Boruto - To be honest, I stopped watching Naruto around the time he got involved in all of the battles in the 4th Shinobi World War by sending clones to every battlefield. But I have lurked in the manga thread so I know about how it all ended. I've never seen the Boruto movie though

I decided to give the Boruto series a chance and after three episodes... its not bad. But it does have some very annoying flaws.

For what I like about it? I like some of the new characters like Shikadai, Denki, and Iwabe as well as seeing old characters like Shino and Shikamaru. I like the Academy aspect of the setting, seeing the new characters that are not overpowered gods. Its interesting to see the effect peace has had on the villaige technology-wise and on the Academy curriculum. I also find myself interested in Boruto's home life, which is odd because I dislike both his character and Naruto in this series.

I don't like how annoying and borderline retarded Bolt is. He is just as obnoxious as young Naruto and his voice is as grating as Naruto's dub voice. The only time he doesn't annoy me much is when he has real conversations with Denki and Shikadai, and his reaction to Naruto neglecting his family.

I honestly can't believe Naruto's attitude in this show. He can't spare a single clone to spend time with his family? I get that being Hokage is busy work, but using a Shadow Clone can give him some at least some time with his family. The most recent episode where Bolt, Hinata, and his sister are sitting down to eat dinner and Naruto comes home exhausted, basically ignores his family and goes straight to bed. Its just stupid. It'll be interesting to see what kind of fics pop up concerning this family is this goes on long. Are Naruto-bashing fics inbound?

Another thing I don't like is all of the technology around. It removes a lot of the mystique and fantasy elements from the setting. Its the same as what I remember Legend of Korra, tech replacing what made the original special in the first place.

On a final note, I have no idea why Sarada and that other white guy have a big push in the OP & ED. So far characters like the nameless Class Rep have had more of a role.

Re:Creators - An anime where a bunch of fictional characters end up in the real world? Count me in.

So far we have a mecha anime protagonist, an NPC from an RPG, and a magical girl. All three of them all girls and all the most well developed characters. Seeing their different reactions to being fictional was great. I especially liked how the magical girl is a bit naive and wants to forces her creators to write her world as a better place so no one gets hurt. Her reaction to the brutality of her attacks in the real world made me feel for her.

The music in this show is great and gets me pumped.

Right now the biggest problem with this show, as with most anime, is the generic male MC. He's annoying and is only there to be the real world connection to fictional characters as well as give the fictional characters a place to stay. As a character, he lacks presence and is a waste of screen-time.

Still, the show is pretty great so far despite him and I'm really looking forward to the next episode.

Those are the only to shows I"ve watched so far this season, but I plan on watching AoT season 2 and checking out Sword Oratoria and Rokudenashi Majutsu Koushi to Akashic Records.

20. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Supreme Mugwump

Watching Attack on Titan. Still merciless. Still playing with me. Like it very much so far.

Then I'm watching the Chinese anime (iffy on the name right now). Takes some getting used to but I'm a gigantic sucker for stories that have gaming elements to them. The animation is, in any case, top notch.

Won't touch Boruto with a fucking pole. I watched the movie and read some of the manga and I'm noping the fuck out of that mess.

Ah, Berserk. Can't forget that one. I like it so far, especially the way the story shapes up right now. It's just so deliciously insidious how they portray the White Hawk. I get why people might dislike the animation, but I had no trouble with that in the first season either, so I'm all good.