1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Stages of Hope by kayly silverstorm - T

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Ched, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Title: Stages of Hope
    Author: kayly silverstorm
    Rating: T
    Genre: Action/Adventure/Drama
    Library Category: The Alternates
    Pairings: Past H/G & R/H
    Chapters: 32
    Words: 94,563
    Updated: September 3, 2012
    Published: April 10, 2011

Summary: Professor Sirius Black, Head of Slytherin house, is confused. Who are these two strangers found at Hogwarts, and why does one of them claim to be the son of Lily Lupin and that git James Potter? Dimension travel AU, no pairings so far. Dark humour.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6892925/1/Stages-of-Hope
    I'll say more or less what I said when I put it in Almost Recommended a while back...

Like most everything else the author writes, the main characters are a bit OOC (usually with background info to explain it), a bit crazy/insane, and somewhat over-powered. The basic premise here is that Harry and Hermione show up at Hogwarts in another dimension when they're around 19 or so, and they're pretty badass but also pretty emotionally unstable/weird. The split from canon happened around the time of Bill's Wedding, but this was covered in an Author's note not the actual story.

I'm not a fan of the Author's most famous work (When a Lioness Fights) but I do like their other story (Had I Known) that I put up in "Almost Recommended" a long time ago.

I am not sure that the author's first language is English, as the stories tend to be full of little errors. They also tend to have cliches and go overboard in places, though that isn't a language issue.

But that said... I've read this about four times now because it's just fun and I have a damn good time reading it despite the problems, and sometimes that's good enough for me.

It remains to be seen if that's good enough for you guys as well.

I rate it solidly at 4/5.

Checked by Minion, September 1, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2013
  2. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Sounds great, been looking for an "at-school" fic to get me back into reading fics, this is a placeholder to remind me to review when I read it.

3. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's not bad, although the Luna characterization irks me. Other than that, it's interesting.

3/5

4. Nauro

Nauro Headmaster

I've been reading this for quite a while now, and at first it was something that did grab my attention, but as the updates are heading on, it is becoming more and more average.

The interactions are fun because at first everyone have their own preconceptions, and these preconceptions get ruined by the actions they witness.
    That part is interestingly written, and it's fun for the four fighters to interact with the new dimension, and almost kill the spies for the order.

Also, there's the Ron, who could have been bashed but whas simply killed (another lazy excuse), Lily, who in the absence of James in the picture, I feared would be with Snape, well, you know how those things usually go, but in the end she was paired with Remus, and that kind of works.

Sirius and Snape friendship is weird, but with the changes they set at the beginning it's kind of believable.

If I had to rate it before, it would have gotten four. Now, I'll give it 3,5 rounded down to 3/5

5. Darth Disaster

Darth Disaster The Waking Sith ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    One of the greatest things about this story is the way with which it conveys emotion and the artistry with which the character development is portrayed. Each character, while not quite themselves, is Human in a way that few stories can truly achieve.

Rare is the author who can draw you into the mind of a different person and share their thoughts and feelings and hopes and fears with you so well. I find myself in almost-breathless anticipation of the end of this journey of a story, having read it all tonight.

Each (important) character has a Voice, one that speaks to you and lets you understand them and why they act the way they do, one that allows you to empathize instead of sympathize, so that they feel more real than you expect from non-professional writing.

Some of the characters take longer to reveal themselves than others, and I can see how some would find issue with their portrayals before the defining moment comes, but it's there for each of them, if you stick with it.

4.5/5, rounded down to 4/5 for the occasional technical error and rare bits of unwieldy sentence structure.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2012
  6. Striker

Striker What's up demons?

Pretty good, but the borderline James bashing is a real pain in the ass.

4/5

7. Krieger

Krieger Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

This. Liked it overall, could be better in some parts. Borderline James bashing for no other reason then to bash was annoying, could of just left him out of the story, or had him dead too. Makes few appearances though, so hardly noticeable.

4/5. Interesting read.

8. ashura

ashura Third Year DLP Supporter

I couldn't enjoy this at all. There's a lot of telling instead of showing. Characterization is pretty bland. You could replace one character with another for most of the dialogue and there would be no difference.

I think the premise can lead to a really interesting fic. This fic isn't it.

2.5 at best.

9. Bobika

Bobika Third Year

I've known this story for some time now, always returning to it in a moment of absolute boredom. It has a really interesting Harry in it; however, it has an insufferable Hermione as well. She's obviously author's favourite character, if I can tell by her other stories. I like Hermione, too - but only if she's helping by quietly looking for solutions in library, maybe once in a while advising Harry on some emotional stuff. But not when she's doing all of the research, making all of the plans, leading all of the important conversations, and killing Death Eaters wielding a sword, while Harry is crying in the corner.

I get that the circumstances have forced them to change, but Hermione was always the one screaming to the troll's face, frozen in panic, while Harry always thrived in stressful situations. I think hardly anything could so drastically change that.

Another thing – while the first chapters were filled with exciting events and the newest ones seem to have some more; ten or so chapters between were quite dull. The author took whole six chapters to get through uneventful Christmas. I stopped reading by then.

For me, it’s 2,5 rounded up to 3/5. For someone who likes Hermione, the cool heroine, this could be a win.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2012
  10. Saot

Saot Groundskeeper

This began well, but became bland once it got past showing how insane and broken the heroes are. None of the adults were very interesting characters, which is a big problem when two-thirds of the story is about them coming to understand the travelers. The plot, action and humor basically come to an end once they finish rescuing Luna and Neville, and they aren't replaced by much of anything. The travelers aren't really changed in any significant way by their experiences, and when they return to their home dimension they will be the same people as they were when they left, leaving me wondering what exactly the point of the last 20 chapters was.

11. thebrute7

thebrute7 High Inquisitor

Meh. The story really never clicked with me. I first saw it shortly after it was posted and followed it for a while 16 or 17 chapters I think. But even 7 or 8 chapters in I was already getting bored with the story.

I seem to recall reviewing it, and saying some thing to the effect that the story was positively drowning in uninterrupted angst. Which has not changed at all over 20 chapters later. The rather limited drama felt contrived and bland, and the characters, which are the most interesting part of the story, are smothered by the never ceasing, "Harry doesn't believe his life is worth living", "the people we love are dead", "we have to keep going on", etc. etc. etc.

The characters seem to have no inclination to even attempt to move beyond this, which I found incredibly off-putting. I read through the 10 or so new ones since I stopped following, and nothing has really changed. If anything I feel worse about the story, because the character depth has gotten better, but it is still overshadowed by the ridiculous angst that has plagued it since chapter two.

I feel like the story has a lot of wasted potential, even if it is competently written for the most part.

2/5

12. Materia-Blade

Materia-Blade First Year

I loved this story, being that I'm a giant fan of Hermione. I enjoyed the Ginny and Ron being dead thing as well. At times the story got a bit preachy.

For what its worth though, I thought Luna's characterization was one of the most fun portrayals of her I've ever seen. Her nearly 'seeresque' story telling was a fun way to keep the mystery going. The person she's talking to, (Remus) has no idea what she's saying while the Reader is left awed by the twisted way Canon has been decorated.

4.5/5 for me, rounded down to 4/5 for the lame ending. I got the feeling the author just wanted to get it over with for the last two or three chapters.

13. Charlesnaismith

Charlesnaismith First Year

Stages of Hope by kayly silverstorm

Edit: Moved. - Sesc

Title: Stages of Hope
    Author: kayly silverstorm
    Rating: T
    Genre: Adventure/Drama
    Library Category: The Alternates
    Pairings: not important
    Summary: Professor Sirius Black, Head of Slytherin house, is confused. Who are these two strangers found at Hogwarts, and why does one of them claim to be the son of Lily Lupin and that git James Potter? Dimension travel AU, no pairings. Dark humour.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6892925/1/Stages-of-Hope

The story explores what could have happened if more things went wrong in DH and the effects that would have on canon Harry and Hermione, and to a lesser extent Luna and Neville.

It is in a sense an extra long character study a bit like Mira Mirth's Across the Universe.

Why do I like it? Strong characterisation and a relatively low powered, darkish Harry - good fanfiction should breath life into JK's 2D world and I think this does.

4/5

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2013