1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Star Trek: A New Beginning by Doragon - Star Trek - (no rating)

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Andrela, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Title/Link: Star Trek: A New Beginning (On AlternateHistory.com, requires registration to read)
    Author: Doragon
    Genre: Alternate History / Alien Space Bats
    Fandom: Star Trek

An Alternate History fanfiction which attempts to answer the following question: "What if our Earth as of right now replaces Star Trek Earth just after Cochrane launches his ship?"

So basically real world Earth as of the year 2011 (which is when the story was started) including all the Star Trek media replaces ST Earth of the year 2063.

Since our Earth has loads of knowledge regarding the fictional universe it found itself in, including knowledge of future events and a lot of blueprints for space ships which now can be built, the ST universe is changed forever.

For example, the reaction of Vulcans to the
    the Abrams Star Trek movie in which Vulcan is destroyed makes them overreact.

Now, as with a lot of Alternate History fiction (especially the kind found on AH.com), this isn't a character driven story, but a setting driven one.

Still, I myself found it interesting despite being only slightly familiar with Star Trek.

I'm going to rate it 4/5 just because of that.

2. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

I read the first book, I think. Before the 100 year timeskip?

I really didn't like the whole idea about Earth knowing all about Star Trek. Would have rathered it be an Earth completely new to it, it took me out of my immersion many times in the beginning.

Picard was not that much of a coward. He wouldn't let a Vulcan armada bombard Earth, nor would he allow an unprovoked attack like that go without a response. His actions during that period, refusing to use the Enterprise to go to Vulcan, refusing to think of anything else other than Vulcan being an ally in his time, refusing to do much of ANYTHING, really, was so stupid. How many lives could he have saved by stopping the war before it began?

Then there was the issue with the transporter technology being stolen and given to Earth. He knew there was a spy on board, but the author didn't go any further into it (at least before the timeskip). I assumed it was the bitch who was so easily swayed by the terrorist's groups leader, but I dunno.

Then the Enterprise gets totaled during the last fight and made into a motherfucking space station. What the flying fuck. It's the one thing they have to survive in this time period, and they don't even take the time to rebuild it? The Enterprise being a space station is what made me hesitate reading any further.

And yeah, the lack of character development kills it. If the author is going for a time spanning series (given the 100 year timeskip), he should have made Data the main character and focus on him for the entirety of the story. There were too many scenes I gave no shit about because I didn't care for the characters, like Monroe. Too many characters, should have just stuck with the bridge crew, or just with Data.

3. Shouldabeenadog

Shouldabeenadog Death Eater

Still in the middle of the first book. I like it, it's engrossing.

4. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Does this ever stop being about death and destruction and traitors/sociopaths causing intergalactic wars, Xandrel?

5. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

I've read only the entire first book and am in the middle of the second one, so I'm not sure.