1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Star Trek and Cthulhu Mythos

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Andrela, Feb 4, 2016.

1. cancelled for a

cancelled for a Second Year

I'd rather have the idea of humanity is growing into a power so strong that even the Old Ones notice. Culture series etc.

2. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Then you're not looking for a Lovecraft story. You're looking for a space opera with horror elements.

3. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Hello everyone. So ever since we discussed this, I've wanted to see the concept done well.

And I believe I have found someone capable, fellow known as B_Munro on AlternateHistory.com or QuantumBranching on DeviantArt. He specializes in detailed settings for stories, mostly alternate history but some fanfiction settings as well.

I asked him to create a fusion setting of Star Trek and Cthulhu Mythos and he did it.

Here's the link to the scenario/setting on DeviantArt:

The Star Treks are Right

4. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

That is pure August Derleth - the good Elder Gods go on a crusade of good, and imprison Great Old Ones and Outer Gods. It completly strips all the main themes of a Lovecraftian story.

As Aekiel has put it - Lovecraftian tales are about corruption and creeping dread. Humanity does not matter - we are just a biological run-off born of some alien shit. The universe and Earth are haunted, but we are not ghosts, we're merly just the furniture.

5. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I finally got around to finishing this today and it's pretty damn good. It's not quite a story as much as it is a worldbuilding exercise, but I reckon you could fit a lot of interesting tales in the galaxy QuantumBranching has created. I'd be tempted to play a campaign or two in it, even.

6. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Sure, but I doubt I was trying to tell a Lovecraftian tale given how little Lovecraft I've read (and less that I've liked). I suspect I was trying to tell a Star Trek story set in that world (which is interesting), and Star Trek stories are not about corruption and creeping dread.

The contrast of the two 'types' of story that each leans towards is definitely a challenge, however, though an interesting one.

7. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Yeah, this is cool - thanks man.