1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Star Wars Episode 7: The Spoilers Awaken

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Jon, Dec 16, 2015.

1. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Abandon all hope, ye who enter here.

Seriously, SPOILERS ahead.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
  2. Jon

So, I just got back from the midnight screening.

Over all I'm pretty satisfied with it.

I had a few nitpicks like a ship being able to go into hyperspace while inside a planets gravity well.

But then they've ditched a lot of the technical bits in this trilogy so...

3. Kensington

Kensington Denarii Host DLP Supporter

If you've been on Star Tours at Disneyland, you already would have experienced going into hyperspace in a planet's gravity well.

Interdictor-class cruisers, I guess you're obsolete :(.

4. Fatality

Fatality Order Member

Yeah, I just got back from seeing the midnight release. I liked it, it was good but I wouldn't put it above any of the original trilogy. Better than all of the prequels put together though. This is of course just my (very) initial reactions though.

I feel like it was missing a bit of something that made it Star Wars maybe? That's perhaps the vaguest way I can phrase it. The scale felt a bit off (everything felt like it took place relatively close together strangely), they barely gave us any details about the Republic and the First Order. The Republic (capital?) is supposedly destroyed but no one seems particularly upset and most of their military is intact. Or is that the resistance? Who the fuck knows. They barely took the time to stop the action scenes, even though I know it isn't really the case it felt like they just went from one action piece to another.

Lots and lots of callbacks to ANH, which is good and bad. Mixed feelings about the ending, I suppose we'll see how that pans out in the next one. Rey's sudden and untrained mastery of the force was pretty retarded. As was Fin being able to lightsaber duel a semi-trained Sith, despite supposedly being a non-force user.

Those are my main criticisms really. Don't get me wrong though, as a whole I really enjoyed it. I really like the new characters, there were some great moments (Millenium Falcon reveal was fucking sweet) and it was a good time overall.

Let's just celebrate the fact that a solid, good Star Wars movie has been released for the first time since 1983. And Jar Jar Binks is nowhere in fucking sight.

Edit: When did they go into hyperspace in a planets gravity well? They did it in a ship hanger, so not a gravity well. And they exited hyperspace inside of a planet's atmosphere which is a bit different. I must be forgetting something?

5. Jon

2 Instances of the gravity well issue.

First was when the Falcon ended the lightspeed jump inside the planets 'shield', right near the surface, in other words, right inside its gravity well.

Second was when Rey left at the end of the movie, though that one can be argued as her being outside of it.

The first instance definitely had no wiggle room.

On another note, I wish more had been done with Phasma. I hope she survived and gets a bigger part in the next movie.

Like, going after Finn for revenge.

I do get what you mean about it being quintessential Star Wars, and yet missing a certain spark. I just can't place my finger on what it is. I suppose... maybe it's because the movie was 'more of the same' of the original Trilogy. From Rey's 'origin' to the 'Starkiller'

Three things.

1. Who the fuck is Snoke.

2. Did anyone else feel the ending scene was gratuitous.

3. There... was something else. Mind blanking it's like 4 am almost.—Ah yes, Ren felt like a bitch. Though I really did enjoy his violent outbursts OH. AND HIS USE OF FORCE STASIS, THAT WAS AWESOME.

When the two Stormtroopers saw him going apeshit in the torture room and they nope'd the fuck out. The entire cinema laughed.

6. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

As far as cameos where concerned. What did Luke, Leia, and Han have to do with the movie? Was Luke even in it?

7. Jon

Had had a huge part in it. Leia less so, she had maybe 5 minutes of screen time.

Luke did appear, definitely.

8. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

Thanks for that now I'm even more hyped about the movie than before. It sucks having to wait another five days before I can see the movie.

9. MoltenCheese

MoltenCheese Seventh Year

Am I the only one who thought Kylo Ren sorta resembled Snape?

Anyways, I did enjoy the movie. It wasn't spectacular or anything, but it wasn't horrible either. Hopefully, the next two movies will really bring it up.

Way too tired to make a long post, so I'll just put a few points.

Hated Kylo Ren. I was expecting a badass villain, not some whiny thing that gets defeated by two newbs. I get that he got shot by Chewie's shotgun, but still, he was pathetic.

References to the original trilogy were awesome. Loved the part where Rey called the Millennium Falcon junk. Also, I particularly really enjoyed the scene where the Republic people see the laser beam coming towards them. The pure terror in that scene was brilliant.

The acting could have been better, but hopefully the new actors would improve in the next two movies.

Also, the plot was just meh. It felt too similar to the New Hope, but missing something very important. Throughout the movie, I was expecting a huge twist, but it never came. I didn't really feel any buildup or climax throughout the movie. It just felt liked one scene after another. The ending sorta made me feel like "Wait, that's the end?"

Also, I wish there was more character development and world building. We virtually didn't know anything about the pilot guy (I can't even remember his name), and the scene with Han and Leia could have been much better. Also, I wish we could have known more about what was happening throughout the universe. I feel like we barely scratched the surface.

Overall, it was a fun movie, but there could have been many improvements. I'll post a more coherent reply once I get some sleep and actually think through the movie.

10. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I left the cinema and for the first time watching a new SW movie... it felt like Star Wars. The whole way through.

Snoke is fucking weird as hell and I can't wait for his backstory. If they try to make him more lethal than Palpatine though I'll nope.

Lots of nice little comedy scenes.

Rey felt awesome, didn't object to her force revelation at all. Seems to fit with the force being more of a religious thing.

I did think Leia was terrible. Terribad in every scene.

Kylo felt like a bitchier Snape.

Can the please stop blowing up moons and planets and shit? Come up with something new.

11. Jon

I think we can all agree that the use of lightsabers in the movie was brilliant. None of that over choreographed bullshit. Just straight up violent attempts at maiming.

12. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Just saw the midnight screening and i fucking loved it. There were a few instances one could nitpick, bit man, it was so good. It felt like Star Wars from beginning to end. Loved the characters, the dialogue, the cinematography, the sounds, the music, the action whether it was hand to hand, dogfights, blasterfights or the fucking insanely brilliant lightsaber figjt at the end.

Yeah, the villains could have been a bit better but they worked well enough.

So yeah, on a whole? 5/5. Going to see it again

13. Jon

Lost my shit when Rey cut the power to the Millenium power in mid-loop to get Finn that shot.

14. Seratin

High Score:
    Rey really stands out as a protagonist I can... get behind.

I'm in that mode where I'm still processing everything and can only cherry pick certain scenes. May have to go see it again.

15. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Am I the only one thinking Rey is Luke's kid, and he left her on Jaku (sp) for her own protection or something?

I enjoyed it well enough. I just need to come to terms with the fact the mainline Star Wars movies will always be about the Skywalkers, and get over it. They need to move on from the original trilogy though, from mini-Vader, to mini-trench run, Mega Death Star and having a snow, forest and desert planet. It all felt disappointingly familiar.

Biggest laughs were BB-8's thumbs up and Finn saying to use the Force.

I liked Rey too, but for some reason I can never buy (edit: most) women doing 'explosive' combat movements. It just looks fake. I hope with training she becomes more finesse-like, like Ahsoka.

Btw, I'll properly lose my shit if old Sabine/ Ezra turn up later.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
  16. Seratin

High Score:
    Yeah that seems to be the consensus. Along with that is Luke saying hat their family is strong in the force. Thatdoesnt appear this movie and could in the next.

17. Glapsvior

Glapsvior First Year

I don't have much to say that hasn't been said already, BUT
    Did anyone notice the SCORPIO cameo?

(SCORPIO is a character from SW: The Old Republic)

18. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    What? No... When?!

19. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Mad Dog from the raid and a few others feom the same movie also appeared which was good for a laugh

20. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

It kinda delivered what I expected. Not by any means a masterpiece but A good and exciting scifi movie with a good mix of the good stuff from both old and new. I really, really cannot buy Carrie Fischer being the general of anything, though. The new actors did well. Looking forward to the next one.

It also seems we need to amend Potter Law since we now have clear and decisive evidence that Snape did have sex. The offspring turned out as expected, too.